By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Zelda sacrifice its artistic integrity for the sake of greater sales?

Tagged games:

Is greater sales potential alone justification enough to determine the artistic style of the next Zelda game?

Yes 40 22.60%

No 110 62.15%

See Results 27 15.25%

Total:177
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
That would actually require nintendo to give a damn about the above teen demographic. Lol Not happening.

Zelda games already appeal to the above-teen demographic.

I have no clue what you set out to prove but last I checked Nintendos games are rated "everyone"

Exactly; everyone. Over 20s fall into that category.

A darker approach would actually appeal more to teenagers than over 20s, who are less concerned with wanting to feel "grown up.

Are you kidding me? The equivalent of a rated "E" game is "G" for movies. It means open to all ages with children as well. 17+ means is the target age group rating youre talking about which aims for 17+ and above.

Yes; all ages. Over 20s are part of "all ages".

Whats your point? Everyone who knows about ratings knows that E means there is nothing in the game causes a concern for the game to be prohibited beyond a specific age bracket. Whats your fixation the twenty something age group? 

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
osed125 said:

But they do...

Yeah and why is that? Lucily for developers they have lega protection from backlash because parents are too busy today to look at what their kids are playing. 

Do you remember the "Your mom hates Dead Space 2" ad campaign? That was clearly targeted towards kids and teenagers and the game was M rated. Some publishers clearly don't care about ratings and they know kids represent and big group of their market.

Nintendo and PC gamer

S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

Whats your point? Everyone who knows about ratings knows that E means there is nothing in the game causes a concern for the game to be prohibited beyond a specific age bracket. Whats your fixation the twenty something age group? 

You're the one who singled out the above teen demographic, saying Nintendo didn't appeal to them. I'm saying that many of their games, including previous Zeldas, appeal to this demographic.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
That would actually require nintendo to give a damn about the above teen demographic. Lol Not happening.

No offense, but at what point of your day do you NOT troll Nintendo related articles? Just curious.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Dr.Grass said:
Paragraph 1: Relatively seasoned gaming friend hails Dark Souls

Paragraph 2: Opposite to the common consensus, he prefers WW's visual style

Paragraph 3: Zelda has sported a multitude of art styles and is acclaimed for that

Paragraph 4: WW HD's sales are low. Opinions about that realistic TP HD would've been better.

Paragraph 5: Above is opposite to reactions regarding other franchises.

Paragraph 6: Thread title is basically presented as the OP's main question.

Paragraph 7: Visual style does not influence on the maturity of the game's theme.

Pointless thread.

I am sure youve taken an marketing class. ive taken that and commercial art and yes art style does imply market demographic in most cases.

Not quite sure if you're agreeing with my post or not?

In any case, I just think that it's such a convoluted OP wherein the stated 'facts' are mostly open to debate. If not entirely untrue.

Around the Network
DevilRising said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

No offense, but at what point of your day do you NOT troll Nintendo related articles? Just curious.

Trolling? LOL...you must really be clutching at your self esteem everytime I post.

curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

You're the one who singled out the above teen demographic, saying Nintendo didn't appeal to them. I'm saying that many of their games, including previous Zeldas, appeal to this demographic.

Yes...Nintendo generally doesn't focus on the 20+ demographic and above solely. They focus on everyone or just kids.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

Yes...Nintendo generally doesn't focus on the 20+ demographic and above solely. They focus on everyone or just kids.

You don't need to focus solely on them to appeal to them though. 

osed125 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
osed125 said:

But they do...

Yeah and why is that? Lucily for developers they have lega protection from backlash because parents are too busy today to look at what their kids are playing. 

Do you remember the "Your mom hates Dead Space 2" ad campaign? That was clearly targeted towards kids and teenagers and the game was M rated. Some publishers clearly don't care about ratings and they know kids represent and big group of their market.

One would've thought that it would stop moms from buying it for their kids. Ironic, eh?? Mind you they targeted suburban mothers in a conservative place.

curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

You don't need to focus solely on them to appeal to them though. 

Thats subjective. Not my point. I never said Nintendo couldn't appeal to them.