By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Zelda sacrifice its artistic integrity for the sake of greater sales?

Tagged games:

Is greater sales potential alone justification enough to determine the artistic style of the next Zelda game?

Yes 40 22.60%

No 110 62.15%

See Results 27 15.25%

Total:177
S.T.A.G.E. said:
F0X said:

I can dig the Nintendo/Disney comparison. Only because Pixar is a thing.

Yeah, Sony has been going for the Pixar thing. Naughty Dog and Sony were all about that after Toy Story in the mid 90's. Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, Rachet and Clank, Spyro, Sly Cooper. They were all inspired by the 3D animation era of Pixar. Sony is like a blend of Pixar/MGM/Universal Studios with their offerings.

Sony was much better at this in the PS2 era. :P Now I feel as if Uncharted and God of War have become the new representatives of the company's output.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network
F0X said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
F0X said:

Yeah, Sony has been going for the Pixar thing. Naughty Dog and Sony were all about that after Toy Story in the mid 90's. Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, Rachet and Clank, Spyro, Sly Cooper. They were all inspired by the 3D animation era of Pixar. Sony is like a blend of Pixar/MGM/Universal Studios with their offerings.

Sony was much better at this in the PS2 era. :P Now I feel as if Uncharted and God of War have become the new representatives of the company's output.

They were more appealing during the PS2 era because they had both the majority of the 360 fanbase and current PS3 fanbase thus increasing the chances of higher sales per game. Kiddy games just dont sell on Sony consoles. They sell better on Nintendo ones because of Nintendos marketing and focus.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
F0X said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
F0X said:

They were more appealing during the PS2 era because they had both the majority of the 360 fanbase and current PS3 fanbase thus increasing the chances of higher sales per game. Kiddy games just dont sell on Sony consoles. They sell better on Nintendo ones because of Nintendos marketing and focus.

Ratchet & Clank still sold well on PS3 especially considering the install base. LittleBigPlanet, too. I don't get the excuse.

WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

F0X said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
F0X said:

Ratchet & Clank still sold well on PS3 especially considering the install base. LittleBigPlanet, too. I don't get the excuse.

Wasn't Ractchet and Clank bundled eventually? Same for LBP.  LBP 2 wasn't and sold far less.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
F0X said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
F0X said:

Wasn't Ractchet and Clank bundled eventually? Same for LBP.  LBP 2 wasn't and sold far less.

Sony bundles everything. R&C was bundled with PS2 as well. Your point?

Around the Network
F0X said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
F0X said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
F0X said:

My point is it wouldn't have sold that great on the PS3 without bundling. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
F0X said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
F0X said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
F0X said:

I could say Uncharted 2 would've sold less without the bundle and be equally correct. If you want to compare sales of games pre-bundling, be my guest.

F0X said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
F0X said:

I could say Uncharted 2 would've sold less without the bundle and be equally correct. If you want to compare sales of games pre-bundling, be my guest.

God of War and Uncharted have established themselves as franchises that can profit without bundling. I am amazed Heavy Rain sold what it did without bundling. Makes me happy. This is my last post for the night. Got a long day ahead of me tomorrow.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
F0X said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
F0X said:

God of War and Uncharted have established themselves as franchises that can profit without bundling. I am amazed Heavy Rain sold what it did without bundling. Makes me happy. This is my last post for the night. Got a long day ahead of me tomorrow.

Well, good night.

Heavy Rain didn't sell as much as LPB2, by the way.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

You don't need to focus solely on them to appeal to them though. 

Thats subjective. Not my point. I never said Nintendo couldn't appeal to them.

You said Nintendo "didn't give a damn" about the over 20s market. I contend that they do give a damn, as a lot of the fanbase they cater to is over 20.

Nintendo does not make 17+ and rated games over that. Its generally third party. Technically the majority of gamers who grew up on Nintendo are most likely in their mid twenties to thirties.  Problem therein is I believe they jumped ship. Half of the reason for that is because Nintendo doesn't continue to try to appeal to them. Nintendo is a videogame translation of Disney and much like Nintendo marketwise they are scrambling to broaden their audience. Does it bother you that Nintendo finally found it reasonable to fund a mature rated second party game? Disney has been making the same moves with Star Wars and Marvel using Mature IP's.

M rated games appeal more to teens than over 20s. 

It's teens that tend to want to feel "grown up" by playing things with violence, wearing, nudity, etc, qualities which are usually more immature than truly mature.

Once they become adults they usually become less obsessed with such things and adopt a more balanced gaming diet.

Games like Zelda are, in many ways, more mature than something like  COD or Gears of War.