By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Assassin's Creed 4 delayed on Wii U, to launch with PS4/X1 versions (Europe only, apparently)

irstupid said:
Boutros said:
irstupid said:
Boutros said:
Somini said:
Boutros said:
"The November 22 date also means the PS4 edition of Assassin's Creed 4 arrives in stores one week before the console to play it on is released."

Huh?

It's weird, but it happens quite often when new consoles are released.

But isn't the PS4 coming out November 15? That would mean ACIV is coming out one week after, not one week before.

As stated this is ONLY EUROPE NEWS.

The PS4 releases in Europe on Nov. 29th, thus the 1 week before.

Meanwhile AC4 still releases same time in U.S. for Wii U, which is like Oct 29th or something if I recall correctly 

Where is it stated?

Not in the OP or thread title -.-

That's cause its an IGN article and they like many gaming sites are so biased its not funny against Nintendo, and also by not specifying it gets them more hits cause everyone from America can come in and bitch and moan about delay even though it don't affect them.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/431496/assassins-creed-4-receives-firm-ps4-pc-xbox-one-release-dates/

Funny how you go to IGN right now and I can't find anything discussing the new Update on Wii U.  it's been plenty of time to have an article stating its updates.  Guarantee if it was some obscure ps4/one rumor it would have been up instantly, or if ps3/360 had an update.  But Wii U has an update that has been fortold for a few days and when its up there is not a peep on it?

edit: actually its not a ign article in op, but still funny how many websites have the info wrong.

not sure what the hell youre on but IGH does in face have an article about the update

Around the Network
eFKac said:
Cobretti2 said:
eFKac said:
Hmm also since now next gen versions of AC4 get a same time release, how much should the Wii U version outsell the PS4/XB1 versions? It will have an substantial advantage in install base, ultimately. A few hundred thousands of copies more?

you know it won't sell as well, Also I am sure everybody does. THe fact is the franchise isn't established on a NIntendo system. It will take time to grow (assuming NIntendo gamers warm up to it).

So how many times Ubisoft needs to swallow the pill of commercially underperforming titles until they will be established and start selling well/making good profit? Those are difficult questions, I know. I am asking them for a reason.

I won't blame Ubisoft for pulling the plug, simple as that. And judging by the recent tweet by Emily Rogers, Ubisoft seems to warm up to that idea. They will have two viable consoles to put their games on, and we already can agree, that AC4, Watch Dogs will sell better on them, even though are not even released yet. Games like Just Dance, games from Ubi Art framework, Rayman, Rabbids etc. Will do good on Wii U and will stay around on that platform, just not games like Watch Dogs or The Division.

excellent question that probably wont get an answer. cause if it is established on PS xbox then really there is little point to even trying on Wii U. Im gonna get flamed and i dont care but MAYBE just maybe EA wasnt being totally evil when they pulled the plug. Cause if the PS4 and xbone versions of AC4 trounce the Wii U one then something is seriously wrong. And what excuse will there be for watchdogs as that is a completly new IP?

oniyide said:

its not about the WIi U version does compared to other consoles. Ubi is not expecting sales of multiplat games to match those of PS360 of course not. THe issue is that the games are not selling decently on their own. They are not putting up the numbers they SHOULD be putting up for a new console on the market. If they are not selling up to snuff then Ubi would not be wrong to just pull the plug or lower output and no one could really blame them.

If that's not what it's about, what was the meaning of posts like this, which were the reason this conversation started?

If Ubi wants to pull the plug because their games aren't selling as well as they want them to, that's their choice. But it's a quitter's attitude, and not one you tend to make a lot of money from in the long run. Ubisoft knows that brand power is essential to make a profit on expensive AAA titles; that's why they won't fund a big game unless they can turn it into a franchise. Building brand power is an investment, and sometimes it's an uphill battle. But if you want to create a viable audience for big games on a new platform, you must commit to that investment.

Many third parties face an uphill battle when it comes to building brand power on Wii U. This is their own fault. Developers and publishers can have brand power, too, you see. This is how a new IP like The Last of Us can achieve tremendous sales on par with well-established AAA franchises -- because Naughty Dog is a well-known developer of high-quality content on PS3. Naughty Dog has brand power, and Sony leveraged that brand power when marketing The Last of Us. By contrast, some of the major third-party publishers in the industry are most well-known by Wii owners as the producers of massive amounts of shovelware, and very few quality titles. They have no brand power on Nintendo platforms.

Ultimately, it's up to Ubisoft to decide whether or not they want to invest in converting Nintendo platform owners into fans of their own products. More gestures like the Rayman Legends Challenge App could go a long way.

cablebox said:

Lol I'm 13 and I love to type ass, sue me gramps
OT: the delay is only in the UK so far and it's probably to implement all those cool extra features the wii U pad will allow them to

So all the cool extra features will only be in the UK-Version and not in the US-Version? Nope doesn't make sense. 

eFKac said:
Cobretti2 said:
eFKac said:
Hmm also since now next gen versions of AC4 get a same time release, how much should the Wii U version outsell the PS4/XB1 versions? It will have an substantial advantage in install base, ultimately. A few hundred thousands of copies more?

you know it won't sell as well, Also I am sure everybody does. THe fact is the franchise isn't established on a NIntendo system. It will take time to grow (assuming NIntendo gamers warm up to it).

So how many times Ubisoft needs to swallow the pill of commercially underperforming titles until they will be established and start selling well/making good profit? Those are difficult questions, I know. I am asking them for a reason.

I won't blame Ubisoft for pulling the plug, simple as that. And judging by the recent tweet by Emily Rogers, Ubisoft seems to warm up to that idea. They will have two viable consoles to put their games on, and we already can agree, that AC4, Watch Dogs will sell better on them, even though are not even released yet. Games like Just Dance, games from Ubi Art framework, Rayman, Rabbids etc. Will do good on Wii U and will stay around on that platform, just not games like Watch Dogs or The Division.

Read the post by the_dengle
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5700769

it pretty much covers it.

Around the Network

Unprecedented support!

I would be funny that the PS4 version sells more even though buyers don't have the console to play it.

I don't mind. A stupid move though. Doesn't both 3ds Zelda and 3d mario come out around the same time?

orniletter said:
Captain_Tom said:
the_dengle said:
Captain_Tom said:

-Maybe Batman should have MP on Wii U, but then again Nintendos online infrastructure is a generation behind even the PS360.  It is not as simple as "Putting in MP."  With such a small online community, it probably wasn't worth the money.

Do people still think this? Keep in mind that you are equating the online capabilities of the Wii U with those of the PS2 and GameCube.

Well the gamecube had none.  I played SOCOM and BF2 on PS2 and it worked fine.   The only thing was you had to make an account for each game and there was no central PSN/LIVE, Patch updates were rare and required storage, and it was really just the Wild West of standards.  

Maybe the Wii U has central names, but that is all they have over the PS2.  I have yet to see any 32 player games on the Wii U, and that is because its P2P network is outdated.

LOL yeah I am aware.   So yeah if you think the Gamecube's online was great, then it is no surprise you think the Wii U's is up to par.  Man if you used PSN or LIVE your head would probably explode...

pezus said:
Weedlab said:
I'm sure Wii U owners won't mind as long as it is not gimped.

Like with Rayman? :o

Are you saying Rayman on Wii U was gimped? Or that people still don't care about it?

It wasn't gimped, it was built for Wii U, it's the best version of the game. And while the game hasn't sold well, it's sold best on Wii U over any other platform.

That's all on Ubisoft. They should have just released it as a timed exclusive on Wii U, it would have sold far better back in Feb. when jack shit was coming out, and they could have offered the "extra content" as free DLC to people who bought the Wii U version when the other versions came out. Easy peasy. Instead, they are Ubisoft, and not smart.

That said, pushing it back to match the other "next gen" versions doesn't really make sense. I hardly see how it matters, and yes, with Mario coming out that day, it's not gonna do great week 1 on Wii U no matter what now. Hopefully it sells alright in the end. I'm more concerned that Watch_Dogs does well on Wii U though, to be honest, because that was the one third party surprise we've gotten so far, so it needs to do well.

the_dengle said:
oniyide said:

its not about the WIi U version does compared to other consoles. Ubi is not expecting sales of multiplat games to match those of PS360 of course not. THe issue is that the games are not selling decently on their own. They are not putting up the numbers they SHOULD be putting up for a new console on the market. If they are not selling up to snuff then Ubi would not be wrong to just pull the plug or lower output and no one could really blame them.

If that's not what it's about, what was the meaning of posts like this, which were the reason this conversation started?

If Ubi wants to pull the plug because their games aren't selling as well as they want them to, that's their choice. But it's a quitter's attitude, and not one you tend to make a lot of money from in the long run. Ubisoft knows that brand power is essential to make a profit on expensive AAA titles; that's why they won't fund a big game unless they can turn it into a franchise. Building brand power is an investment, and sometimes it's an uphill battle. But if you want to create a viable audience for big games on a new platform, you must commit to that investment.

Many third parties face an uphill battle when it comes to building brand power on Wii U. This is their own fault. Developers and publishers can have brand power, too, you see. This is how a new IP like The Last of Us can achieve tremendous sales on par with well-established AAA franchises -- because Naughty Dog is a well-known developer of high-quality content on PS3. Naughty Dog has brand power, and Sony leveraged that brand power when marketing The Last of Us. By contrast, some of the major third-party publishers in the industry are most well-known by Wii owners as the producers of massive amounts of shovelware, and very few quality titles. They have no brand power on Nintendo platforms.

Ultimately, it's up to Ubisoft to decide whether or not they want to invest in converting Nintendo platform owners into fans of their own products. More gestures like the Rayman Legends Challenge App could go a long way.

i was asking what people were going to say when the WIi U version wasnt going to do as well as the PS4 or xbone version? becasue all year ive been hearing "but wait until fall xmas Wii U will have a bigger install base and that will help" well does it look that way? what will those people say then? Cause moving goalposts and then saying well those games were established on SOny MS systems already. Doesnt hold water when there new systems arent even on the market and their versions are doing better than a system that will have been on the market for a whole year. 

No it nots a quitters attitude if their is nothing to be gained by losing money on a game just to build a brand on a system that wont nearly do as well as the 3 OTHER systems said brand does well on anyway. So Ubi should just keep underperforming on the WIi U...just cause some fans want to be able to say they have it on their system for their console wars and half wont buy it anyway? No, they would be silly to continue doing that. 3rd parties released quite a few quality games on GC and some on N64 before it, but if the problem is they are known for massive amounts of shovelware then maybe they might as well continue to just make those, they will sell just as well and cost a half the price.