By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you think the Vita TV can save the PS Vita?

Wright said:

Seriously, I doubt it and I don't understand this move. Vita TV must be connected to a...TV (If I'm not wrong), thus rendering useless the fact that the Vita was supposed to be a handheld console.

It's a Vita that costs $100 less and also has streaming capabilities. Not seeing why playing the games on a TV would make it unappealing to consumers, especially when the home console market is bigger than the dedicated handheld market.

Around the Network
DucksUnlimited said:
Wright said:

Seriously, I doubt it and I don't understand this move. Vita TV must be connected to a...TV (If I'm not wrong), thus rendering useless the fact that the Vita was supposed to be a handheld console.

It's a Vita that costs $100 less and also has streaming capabilities. Not seeing why playing the games on a TV would make it unappealing to consumers, especially when the home console market is bigger than the dedicated handheld market.

However the device appeals more to the overlapping market of the two, which is smaller than either one of those groups as a whole.  Just because a device has a good price and is good hardware means nothing if the games remain to not be there.  There needs to be the games to attract the audience and there isn't really anything concrete to show if the Vita TV will be a success.  It's mostly conjecture... about just as much as saying the 2DS will be a success.

MDMAlliance said:
DucksUnlimited said:
Wright said:

However the device appeals more to the overlapping market of the two, which is smaller than either one of those groups as a whole.  Just because a device has a good price and is good hardware means nothing if the games remain to not be there.  There needs to be the games to attract the audience and there isn't really anything concrete to show if the Vita TV will be a success.  It's mostly conjecture... about just as much as saying the 2DS will be a success.

Overlapping market? Not really. It's not for the handheld fans because they will just buy a Vita/3DS. It's more for the console gamers who are interested in or want to try out Vita games but don't want to play on a handheld or pay $200.

I don't own a Vita but from what I've seen/heard, Soul Sacrifice, Gravity Rush, P4G, Uncharted GA, KZ:M, LBP Vita and AC Liberation are all great games worth getting the console for. And with Tearaway, GE2, and more coming, plus the wide range of indie titles available, I don't really see how these games wouldn't justify a $100 purchase, especially for people who have PS+.

Predicting the success of anything before it comes out is conjecture, so it seems you're just against predictions in general.

JoeTheBro said:
I think vita tv will do great. It's only $100 at launch which is unheard of. In a few years with gaikai people could be buying these as ps3 replacements.

I know right? Future Gaikai integration will only make it better!

3DS Friend Code: 0533 - 6146 - 0418
PSN ID: atylerman5

No, because Vita TV isn't the Vita. It's not a handheld and should not count as Vita sales.

Around the Network
DucksUnlimited said:
MDMAlliance said:
DucksUnlimited said:
Wright said:

Overlapping market? Not really. It's not for the handheld fans because they will just buy a Vita/3DS. It's more for the console gamers who are interested in or want to try out Vita games but don't want to play on a handheld or pay $200.

I don't own a Vita but from what I've seen/heard, Soul Sacrifice, Gravity Rush, P4G, Uncharted GA, KZ:M, LBP Vita and AC Liberation are all great games worth getting the console for. And with Tearaway, GE2, and more coming, plus the wide range of indie titles available, I don't really see how these games wouldn't justify a $100 purchase, especially for people who have PS+.

Predicting the success of anything before it comes out is conjecture, so it seems you're just against predictions in general.

isnt there a list of vita games that cant be played on vita tv? I think it included uncharted/gravity rush.

DucksUnlimited said:
MDMAlliance said:
DucksUnlimited said:

Yes, overlapping market.  You seem to not understand that having a system that's like a console but plays handheld games is meant to appeal to people who do play console games, and enjoy handheld games as well.  I doubt they would make it for the very few handheld games that a typical console gamer would enjoy (because that becomes way too limited).  If you don't understand that much, it's hopeless.

Also, predicting the success of anything before it comes out is not conjecture.  You can predict the success of something based off of much more concrete information (and just because it doesn't come true doesn't mean it's conjecture.  What makes it conjecture is the fact that there's a large portion of mystery to it).

tbone51 said:
DucksUnlimited said:
MDMAlliance said:
DucksUnlimited said:
Wright said:

isnt there a list of vita games that cant be played on vita tv? I think it included uncharted/gravity rush.

Gravity Rush should for sure , but Uncharted, not so sure because it contains an annoying part where you have to use the camera.

3DS Friend Code: 0533 - 6146 - 0418
PSN ID: atylerman5

MDMAlliance said:
DucksUnlimited said:
MDMAlliance said:
DucksUnlimited said:

Yes, overlapping market.  You seem to not understand that having a system that's like a console but plays handheld games is meant to appeal to people who do play console games, and enjoy handheld games as well.  I doubt they would make it for the very few handheld games that a typical console gamer would enjoy (because that becomes way too limited).  If you don't understand that much, it's hopeless.

Also, predicting the success of anything before it comes out is not conjecture.  You can predict the success of something based off of much more concrete information (and just because it doesn't come true doesn't mean it's conjecture.  What makes it conjecture is the fact that there's a large portion of mystery to it).

You're acting as though handheld games and console games are completely seperate in the way they play, which is in no way true. Other than being visually scaled back, handheld games are generally the same as console games in function and design, aside from a few rare exceptions. Nobody would think twice if Soul Sacrifice had been announced for PS3, or FE:A was a WiiU game.

There's incomplete information for every unreleased device, so yes, predicting their success is conjecture, by definition. You can argue the degree of that statement, but not the accuracy of it.

tbone51 said:
DucksUnlimited said:
MDMAlliance said:
DucksUnlimited said:
Wright said:

I was under the assumption that DS4 compatability would fix that (assuming the touchpad/screen is the reason for the compatability issues.)