By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Wii's success ultimately hurt HD console sales? or help?

wii and ps3 can coexist.
so, no it won`t hurt.

while ps2 still holding users from jumping to ps3. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

Wii may help it in long term. But by then, the Wii will already be past 100 million! Nintendo will wait for 5 more years before another console. Large userbase will only get larger! Also, not everyone is into the Ps3 and 360 variety! Microsoft and Sony better have a more Wiish lineup if they wish to get close to even half of the Wii's success! The Wii will be the best selling console! nodoubt. (but ps3 will do great also, around 80 million in the end.)

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius
DarkNight_DS said:
@ bdbdbd: How is the Wii superior to the 360 in regards to Internet capabilities? Are you saying that because of the Internet browser?

Mostly because of that. It's how internet is mostly used.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

grimygory said:
Radziel said:
grimygory said:
Actually your opinion is sort of right. The Wii is bringing in more gamers and as they get hungry for more games the HD consoles (PS3/X360) will be there to provide them with that experience.

Games like Gears of War, Halo 3, and etc.

lol.... so, You think that, lets say some middle aged businessman (simply saying, a pure new casual gamer) who bought a toy, called Wii, to play some games like Wii sports, Wii play, maybe a Carnval Games, Brain Age... or at most Guitar Hero III eventually is going to evolve into GOW gamer?!?!? Sorry, but for me it's some twisted logic there... I just can't see it happen

Sure it will, it happened to me. I just played platform games most of my life. I have owned the SNES, N64, GC, GB, GBA and I'm about to get a Wii soon.

My logic is I rarely play games, but playing Gears of War, Halo 3, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy X, Command and Conquer, GoldenEye. Those games really got me into gaming.

So your logic that twisted, bro.

Sorry, but your'e (and all of other people here) a bad example :) There are no true casual Wii-era gamers on this forum. why? becouse they don't give a shit about video games. Let me put it another way. there's a topic "which game have the best grafics" - uncharted is most common choice. If you show that game to a Wii casual gamer it wouldn't impress him at all, but... if you show him a Wii fit it would blow his mind. get the picture? This people want only that kind of entertainment, and nintedo is the only that can deliver suitable content. btw. if I may ask you.. how old are you? if you think that "middle aged businessman " will evolve the same way You did... just curious:)

(\__/)
( -'.'-)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

@crazzyman

console loyalty is so fake! (if that was true, the gamecube should have sold 60 million.)

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

True Genius
Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
kingofwale said:
Ibrute said:
kingofwale said:
>In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

Can I use that as my sig? Please?

well in 5 years new systems will most likely come out,you think that the consoles will still be hot in 2013

I actually do, low price and HD movie/multimedia playback will keep PS3 (or even 360) alive well pass 2013.

I agree. It's definately going to keep PS360 alive just like DVD playback is keeping PS2 alive and DVD and multimedia playback is keeping XBox alive. Just look at it, the only consoles, which focus was only on gaming lost last generation. And price do have a lot to do with consoles success, just look how much having a lowest pricepoint had to do with sales. Now that you mentioned the multimedia, look how much superior Wii is to 360 when it comes to internet capabilities.

Wii has better internet capabilites?!

Bro, what Wii do you own?

Xbox Live has better features and online service than the Wii. The Wii is starting to increase its capabilities, but right now Xbox Live is better than WiiWare.

Currently Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii), Halo 3 (X360), Brain Age (NDS), Pokemon Diamond (NDS), Warhawk (PS3) 

@ bdbdbd: I just wish Nintendo borrowed a few of the things found on the 360 and PS3 in terms of ease of online play is concerned. I'm sick of the friend codes, I do however prefer to only speak with people I know online. I don't mind some limits to what people can do while in games but some things are a bit ridiculous. I should be able to add anyone I want to my friends list as a "rival" much like how Metroid Prime Hunters handled it's online. Why is it that MPH had a much more in depth online mode then anything since? It's quite freaking ridiculous!

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

@grimygory

wiiware isn't out?! are you on something?

Also. I THINK PSN AND WIIWARE WILL BEAT LIVE IN THE FUTURE!!!! (sue me!)

True Genius
Radziel said:
grimygory said:
Radziel said:
grimygory said:
Actually your opinion is sort of right. The Wii is bringing in more gamers and as they get hungry for more games the HD consoles (PS3/X360) will be there to provide them with that experience.

Games like Gears of War, Halo 3, and etc.

lol.... so, You think that, lets say some middle aged businessman (simply saying, a pure new casual gamer) who bought a toy, called Wii, to play some games like Wii sports, Wii play, maybe a Carnval Games, Brain Age... or at most Guitar Hero III eventually is going to evolve into GOW gamer?!?!? Sorry, but for me it's some twisted logic there... I just can't see it happen

Sure it will, it happened to me. I just played platform games most of my life. I have owned the SNES, N64, GC, GB, GBA and I'm about to get a Wii soon.

My logic is I rarely play games, but playing Gears of War, Halo 3, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy X, Command and Conquer, GoldenEye. Those games really got me into gaming.

So your logic that twisted, bro.

Sorry, but your'e (and all of other people here) a bad example :) There are no true casual Wii-era gamers on this forum. why? becouse they don't give a shit about video games. Let me put it another way. there's a topic "which game have the best grafics" - uncharted is most common choice. If you show that game to a Wii casual gamer it wouldn't impress him at all, but... if you show him a Wii fit it would blow his mind. get the picture? This people want only that kind of entertainment, and nintedo is the only that can deliver suitable content. btw. if I may ask you.. how old are you? if you think that "middle aged businessman " will evolve the same way You did... just curious:)

You still don't understand my logic do you.

I have a little brother and little sister who rarely plays games, they are more into clothes and running around outside and playing their DS's. When I asked them to play Gears of War, they jumped up and played the game. For a minute they said the game was difficult, but as they got use to the game they wanted to play more games similar to it, for example Halo 3.

As more people get into gaming, their gaming tastes will change depending on their lifestyle and demographic. You just can not come to a conclusion thinking that every Wii owner is simply going to play the Wii and nothing else. The majority of others will in doubt want a PS3 or X360 or even future consoles that involve hardcore games.

I am 21 by the way.

Currently Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii), Halo 3 (X360), Brain Age (NDS), Pokemon Diamond (NDS), Warhawk (PS3) 

daactualfact said:
@grimygory

wiiware isn't out?! are you on something?

Also. I THINK PSN AND WIIWARE WILL BEAT LIVE IN THE FUTURE!!!! (sue me!)

I completely understand your opinion. It's coming from someone that said simply in there sig PSWii.

Understandable, bro.