By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GTA IS KING once again! Call of Duty suck it (Past $1 Billion dollars in 3 days!)

Games like GTA should always be rewarded more than rehashes like COD... its a shame it doesn't happen more often

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

GTA V is going to suck until a Hot Coffee backdoor is found out.

GTA sucks without Hot Coffee.

disolitude said:
Deyon said:
How much does Take-Two get from the $800m?

Its virtually impossible to tell unless youre Take 2s accounting... retailers may take a small %, but we don't know how much of this 800 million was retail and how much was digital. We also don't know what kind of rewards/bonuses Rockstar is entiteled to which Take 2 will have to fork out.

Keep in mind they have to pay for development, marketing, production of disks and cases, shipping...so this isn't just free money for Take 2. they should profit on this nicely though.

R* is part of Take 2, so take2 and R* get the same amount kind of... Given that it is only on PS3 and 360 and not avaliable for download on 360, you would imagine the vast majority of that would be from physical copies. So you would guess that they guess around half back, so given that the rumours for the total costs were $250m ish, then they have probably made $150m on the first day, which does seem absurd

COD is more deserving than GTA

attaboy said:
Slarvax said:
attaboy said:
GTA had enough time between releases to build anticipation, I guess. It looks pretty damned good to see a single game with such a budget and so much manpower behind its production manages so many sales. From a business standpoint, I'm sure the guys behind Halo or Call of Duty or even New Super Mario are happier making money almost annually as opposed to a HUGE payday after a five year wait. Still a monumental achievement.

Really?

New Super Mario is released once per console, Halo is like one game every 2 years.

Almost annually, I said.  And yeah, I know.  I bought all of them ever made. Halo and Mario. Still a franchise that's come out on various consoles several times while GTA has come out once since 2008.

Your whole posts treats Rock star like they make nothing, but GTA.  For a developer and not platform maker they sell way more than most on multiple IPs. They have the freedom to do what they want which is rare. 

Around the Network
chocoloco said:
attaboy said:
Slarvax said:
attaboy said:
GTA had enough time between releases to build anticipation, I guess. It looks pretty damned good to see a single game with such a budget and so much manpower behind its production manages so many sales. From a business standpoint, I'm sure the guys behind Halo or Call of Duty or even New Super Mario are happier making money almost annually as opposed to a HUGE payday after a five year wait. Still a monumental achievement.

Really?

New Super Mario is released once per console, Halo is like one game every 2 years.

Almost annually, I said.  And yeah, I know.  I bought all of them ever made. Halo and Mario. Still a franchise that's come out on various consoles several times while GTA has come out once since 2008.

Your whole posts treats Rock star like they make nothing, but GTA.  For a developer and not platform maker they sell way more than most on multiple IPs. They have the freedom to do what they want which is rare. 

Well, jeez.  I mean, I bought Max Payne, Red Dead and Bully! What do you want from me?  I was just comparing one franchise to one other franchise.  I'm sorry.  If I implied that, I never meant to!

*edit* I also bought LA Noire....but I forgive them.

attaboy said:
chocoloco said:
attaboy said:
Slarvax said:
attaboy said:

Really?

Well, jeez.  I mean, I bought Max Payne, Red Dead and Bully! What do you want from me?  I was just comparing one franchise to one other franchise.  I'm sorry.  If I implied that, I never meant to!

I am watching you. *evil eye*

dsage01 said:

Grand Theft Auto became the king in SA launched and shattered all records in 2004. Since then

Halo 3

- That record was later shattered by Halo 3 in 2007 when it made  $170 million only in the US in its first day...still it was unable to achieve the LT sales of GTA SA on the PS2.

Grand Theft Auto: IV

- GTA IV released in 2008 and broke that record by making $310 million on its first day and $500 million on its first week. 

- On year later Call of Duty Started breaking launch records for 4 years straight.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2:

- $310 million on its first day and $550 million on its first week.

Call of Duty: Black Ops

- $360 million on its first day and $650 on its first week.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3:

- $400 million in USA and UK alone on its first day and $775 million on its first week.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

- $500 million worldwide on its first day and close to $800 million on its first week.

And now..

Grand Theft Auto V:

- $800 million on its first day (not including Japan)...enough said.

What are your reactions?

First day sales you win, for now.  Call Of Duty: Ghosts is going to smash "Grand Theft Auto 5" sales in the long run.  Call Of Duty is putting up numbers like 15 million worldwide sales on the Xbox360 alone.  Now that the Nintendo Wii U is now in that market is just more $$$.  

curl-6 said:
COD is more deserving than GTA

Things like this shouldn't be said ever.....even if it where a joke!

Great for GTAV. But CoD is still a bigger success.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)