By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Monster Hunter 4 outsold the Vita!

Tagged games:

People who believe that hardware sells software be...

Banished. 43 21.50%

Hanged by the penis until dead. 70 35.00%

Drawn. 8 4.00%

Quartered. 3 1.50%

Drawn AND quartered. 13 6.50%

Loved to death. 14 7.00%

Worshipped, because they're right! 49 24.50%

Total:200
badgenome said:
Kasz216 said:

That's the point though, you disagree.... but you're wrong.

Does it need to sell 20 million units?  No... but it needs to sell a hell of a lot closer to 20 million then it does 5 million the Vita has in sales now.

Attachment rates like you are talking about just don't exist outside of heavily bundled titles and launch titles.  (Though because of limited supply the launch titles have small numbers of sales.)

I guess that's why I don't think it's so out there. The Vita is basically in a launch like state as it is. The audience isn't big enough or diverse enough that such a massive title would end up selling to only 10% of the install base or something like that. So if Monster Hunter fell out of the sky onto it tomorrow, you'd have a situation where it's poised to have launch like attach rates. And if Nintendo hadn't hilariously cut the Vita's balls off shortly before it launched, it wouldn't have to achieve that.

It wouldn't be the first time we've seen such a thing. A lot of the N64's catalog fits that bill, particularly Mario 64 which granted was a launch title but was never bundled and still ended up selling about 1/3 as many copies as the system itself by the time it was done. Ocarina of Time wasn't far off of that and interestingly is still the biggest selling Zelda title of all time despite being on one of Nintendo's worse selling systems. Nintendo losing general customers from the SNES to the N64 didn't result in a loss of customers for the Zelda franchise.

If the Wii U can revitalize itself later this year I'm interested to see what kind of attach rates Mario Kart, et al can pull.

Kasz216 said:

I mean, how much do you think the new port will do?  Will we see a sudden pickup of vita hardware starting next week?

Oh, Kasz. If you understood what it is you wouldn't ask that question.

If it's at a launch type state... at best your hoping for a 1 Million... launch if generous, 2 million lifetime.

and... I know what it is, but that's the point.  Your suggesting Monsterhunter will just sell because it's monsterhunter. 

Around the Network

It also outsold Xbox 360 and Wii U

The Bitch is back! And better then ever! #BritneyReturns

SONY Bring them BACK for PS4 and VITA!

PlayMatt said:
It also outsold Xbox 360 and Wii U

yea, well vita outsold them sooo? Anyway MH4 outsold Vita *.*

badgenome said:
Cheebee said:

Of course there are exceptions, but I think you're really grasping at straws here. A more powerful system doesn't equal higher dev-costs by default; that depends on the type of game -obviously-. Tetris on Vita would be cheap, and a 3DS GTA would be far more expensive, for example, yes.

Fact remains, a ground-up, full-fledged, AAA, fully-realized MH title the likes of MH4 on Vita would easily have been much more costly to develop than a ground-up 3DS version. One can always come up with 'what ifs', exceptions and best/worst-case scenarios, but in this case that just doesn't fly, no matter how it's spinned.

You are assuming that Capcom would have made some kind of crazy "we maxed out the Vita!" game instead of the same old reasonably budgeted Monster Hunter by numbers that they always make. It ain't grasping at straws to call that assumption into question.

Had Capcom made MH4 for Vita instead of 3DS, it's a given they would not release it with PSP/3DS-level graphics. They would most certainly take advantage of the hardware and create a more graphically-intensive game (including a much higher resolution instead of the 3DS's 320x240 pixels. If your viewpoint were the reality, then they'd have released RE6 with PS2/Wii-like graphics. If you're going to release on more advanced hardware, you're going to take advantage of it. 

Of course they'd have a budget, and they'd most likely stick to that. I never said anywhere they'd go about 'maxing out Vita'. But to assume a Vita MH4 would be equal to a 3DS MH4, graphics- and budget-wise, is just silly. Really, I don't get why you're making such a fuss, when it's a given much stronger hardware requires a larger development investment. Besides, why is that such a big deal? It's just natural progression, same how a MH5 (or something) would be more costly to make on 3DS's successor. I'm not slamming Vita or anything, it's just the way things are.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Kasz216 said:

If it's at a launch type state... at best your hoping for a 1 Million... launch if generous, 2 million lifetime.

No portable Monster Hunter has shown legs anything close to that poor.

Kasz216 said:

and... I know what it is, but that's the point.  Your suggesting Monsterhunter will just sell because it's monsterhunter.

But it's not a true Monster Hunter and it's old as dirt. It would almost be like Nintendo putting Super Mario Kart on VC in lieu of releasing Mario Kart 8 and expecting it to spike Wii U sales.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Kasz216 said:

No portable Monster Hunter has shown legs anything close to that poor.

Kasz216 said:

I'm not sure what you mean, that's about exactly the kind of legs Monster Hunter has shown, about twice the initial sales.

With 1 Million at launch is being extremely optimistic since we're talking an "at launch" type situation.

In general if you look at launch type games, you find they have a great attach rate early on, then tend to peak at a million, million and a half, even with known quantitites.

Console bases are diverse, even among unpopular systems.  Meaning that beyond launch, where they are so starved for good games people are willing to branch out, you need to have at least 4-5 times the base for sales.

In otherwords, to hit that 2 million range your going to need ATLEAST 8 to 10 million consoles sold, bare minium on a great day.

I mean hell, Call of Duty 2 at it's best did 1.87 Million lifetime on the 360. 

While not at current megalevels now, Call of Duty 2 is still plenty popular compaired Monster Hunter.  Then you look at COD3 on Playstation 3... and that did even worse.

Kasz216 said:

I'm not sure what you mean, that's about exactly the kind of legs Monster Hunter has shown, about twice the initial sales..

To use VGChartz numbers (of which I'm usually skeptical, but numbers for older games eventually get changed to reflect what publishers have released in their reports):

Monster Hunter Portable launched with 140k and legged its way all the way to 1.31m. Almost ten times launch, but this was where the series started to take off so it's definitely not typical.

MHP2 launched with 793k and had lifetime sales of 2.52m, over 3 times first week sales.

Freedom Unite launched at 914k and all told did a whopping 5.37m all told, more than 5 times launch.

The closest it's come to doing twice initial sales was MHP3, which did 1.97m launch and 4.87m lifetime, which is still about 2 1/2 times launch.

And MH3U had aligned launches of about 623k and has sold 2.26m to date, better than 3 1/2 times launch.

badgenome said:
Kasz216 said:

I'm not sure what you mean, that's about exactly the kind of legs Monster Hunter has shown, about twice the initial sales..

To use VGChartz numbers (of which I'm usually skeptical, but numbers for older games eventually get changed to reflect what publishers have released in their reports):

Monster Hunter Portable launched with 140k and legged its way all the way to 1.31m. Almost ten times launch, but this was where the series started to take off so it's definitely not typical.

MHP2 launched with 793k and had lifetime sales of 2.52m, over 3 times first week sales.

Freedom Unite launched at 914k and all told did a whopping 5.37m all told, more than 5 times launch.

The closest it's come to doing twice initial sales was MHP3, which did 1.97m launch and 4.87m lifetime, which is still about 2 1/2 times launch.

And MH3U had aligned launches of about 623k and has sold 2.26m to date, better than 3 1/2 times launch.

You admitted the error in your own analysis there, in which the series was building popularity... which you deem to not be the case anymore.

Additionally, you are ignoring that none of those games were launch games.  Which have different legs.   The only one close to relvent is MHP3.   Since it's the one released at the height of it's popularity.  

Now throw in how launch games work and the Vita's low sales... and what do you get?  Maybe 700K at launch?  2 million lifetime if lucky if it would of released on vita when it did 3DS?

That's what a launch game would sell.  So if Vita is still in launch state...  Thats not exactly a great sign.  I mean again.  Look at launch games.

Your whole arguement boils down to everything acting nothing like it usually does essentially... on the basis that monster hunter will perform identical to how it has before, under completely different and far more negative circumstances.

Kasz216 said:

You admitted the error in your own analysis there, in which the series was building popularity... which you deem to not be the case anymore.

Er...? Not sure what you mean. I said I'd guess MonHun's absolute cap is between 4 and 5 million in Japan, which is what MHP3 sold. It's too well known at this point, and people know whether they like it or they don't. I think it's too clumsy and fussy and time-consuming and just plain slow to grow much beyond that. That doesn't mean the series isn't incredibly powerful or the sales haven't usually shown good legs.

Kasz216 said:

That's what a launch game would sell.  So if Vita is still in launch state...  Thats not exactly a great sign.  I mean again.  Look at launch games.

Yes, look at them. They're typically shit like Peter Jackson's King Kong that is rushed out for launch and then die a miserable death when there's better stuff to play.

Kasz216 said:

Your whole arguement boils down to everything acting nothing like it usually does essentially... on the basis that monster hunter will perform identical to how it has before, under completely different and far more negative circumstances.

My initial argument was that it's dumb to say that a game like Monster Hunter would be limited by the 1.8 million sales of a system that died because it's not getting (among other things, but primarily) Monster Hunter.

My argument to you now is not that Monster Hunter would sell the exact same numbers as it did on the PSP or is currently selling on the 3DS, but that the Vita isn't a leper for no reason or because people have a grudge against the PSP (a system that people actually liked and bought) or anything else other than it has no games that people care about... something that Monster Hunter would do a great deal to rectify.

badgenome said:
Kasz216 said:

Er...? Not sure what you mean. I said I'd guess MonHun's absolute cap is between 4 and 5 million in Japan, which is what MHP3 sold. It's too well known at this point, and people know whether they like it or they don't. I think it's too clumsy and fussy and time-consuming and just plain slow to grow much beyond that. That doesn't mean the series isn't incredibly powerful or the sales haven't usually shown good legs.

Kasz216 said:

Yes, look at them. They're typically shit like Peter Jackson's King Kong that is rushed out for launch and then die a miserable death when there's better stuff to play.

Kasz216 said:

My initial argument was that it's dumb to say that a game like Monster Hunter would be limited by the 1.8 million sales of a system that died because it's not getting (among other things, but primarily) Monster Hunter.

My argument to you now is not that Monster Hunter would sell the exact same numbers as it did on the PSP or is currently selling on the 3DS, but that the Vita isn't a leper for no reason or because people have a grudge against the PSP (a system that people actually liked and bought) or anything else other than it has no games that people care about... something that Monster Hunter would do a great deal to rectify.

1) It should be simple.  The legs existed because the series got popular.  Therefore you wouldn't expect the same legs while it's already popular.

2) Some launch games are like that, not all of them.  They all have the same fete.

3)  If that's just your arguement... then you've walked yourself right back into the circle.  Since, once again, Vita's software situation now, isn't really different from the initial PSP situation... yet it's performing worse.

You keep argueing yourself into this loop.   You are argueing that Vita is doing worse the PSP because it didn't get Monster hunter and other games like it... when PSP didn't get Monster Hunter and other games like it during the same time period.

Removal of something that didn't exist at the time of the PSP can't of hurt the Vita.

Would Monster Hunter helped?  Sure.   Helped to the point of where vita reached PSP, or Monsterhunter reached Monster Hunter PSP.  All signs point to no.

Also, what you missed is what you'd expect Monster Hunter G to signal.  In otherwords, that this isn't likely going to be a hypothetical arguement forever.