By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Penello on X1 vs PS4: "Developers are confirming cross platform games are running the same on both platforms":

JoeTheBro said:
DD_Bwest said:
JoeTheBro said:

For anyone that doesn't bother reading the whole neogaf thread, some more info came out. PS4 COD ghosts took a month to get running and as at 90FPS. The XBONE version took 4 months and was at 15FPS. A Japanese dev (not SE) experienced similar.

Probably exaggerated numbers but still revealing.

what thread is it in?

The one Penello posted in. Here's a link to the actual post about COD http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=81321425&postcount=422

Kagari said that a japanese developer, who will stay nameless, reported similar issues.  hes post is on the page after.   I am skeptical to believe that much of a gap, but if true... just think how many games could be easily ported in no time.  we are going to have SO many games

Kind of reminds me of this cerny slide

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

Around the Network

All this damage control is making me think the multiplat difference will be bigger than most of us were expecting, with differences showing up sooner than we expected...

FiliusDei said:
ishiki said:

the thing is 40-50% (1.5 times as powerful) isn't really that big of a difference in how it looks. It's the difference between 30 and 42-45 FPS. Going from 4x AA MSAA to 8x MSAA can drop it that much itself.

That's if third parties try to fully optimize both systems and don't just say that the more powerful system is good enough while optimizing the lesser more.

In reality it's a lot more complicated. And imo he's spinning it in his favor.

You mean .4-.5 times more powerful (40-50%)

What you said is the exact same thing. Except you switched "times as" with "more" which implies addition to the original value, while "times as" implies multiplication by a factor of the original value.

.4 times a number is smaller number. 1 times a number is the same. 1.4 times a number is a bigger. Learn factors

http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/exp/factor.html

DietSoap said:
All this damage control is making me think the multiplat difference will be bigger than most of us were expecting, with differences showing up sooner than we expected...

or not and then... play the lazy disk.

Does anybody (in here) have real, hard experience with low level GPU programming? (Well I'm thinking about somebody, but ain't so sure about it) If so, I wait for an honest opinion about scaling in common circumstances. 

Ex Graphics Whore.

ishiki said:
FiliusDei said:
ishiki said:

the thing is 40-50% (1.5 times as powerful) isn't really that big of a difference in how it looks. It's the difference between 30 and 42-45 FPS. Going from 4x AA MSAA to 8x MSAA can drop it that much itself.

That's if third parties try to fully optimize both systems and don't just say that the more powerful system is good enough while optimizing the lesser more.

In reality it's a lot more complicated. And imo he's spinning it in his favor.

You mean .4-.5 times more powerful (40-50%)

What you said is the exact same thing. Except you switched "times as" with "more" which implies addition to the original value, while "times as" implies multiplication by a factor of the original value.

.4 times a number is smaller number. 1 times a number is the same. 1.4 times a number is a bigger. Learn factors

http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/exp/factor.html

you're right. I didn't read correctly the first time.

I still think people never mention the 15 coprocessors in the X1.  To me they are very close and that 40%-50% difference is a mistake.

Around the Network
Xenostar said:
http://gamingbolt.com/resogun-dev-ps4-is-all-raw-power-gddr5-ram-and-gpu-will-result-in-better-multiplatform-games

Ehh, this guy is Sony 2nd party. He has no X1 dev kit and says what is expected, pimping his employer.

Also he doesn't even say PS4 will have better multiplats unlike the misleading headline. He says "people will ramp up effects for PS4" but in a vaccuum that's an innocous statement. It's like a X1 dev saying "people will ramp up effects for X1". Well of course they will.

DD_Bwest said:
JoeTheBro said:
DD_Bwest said:
JoeTheBro said:

For anyone that doesn't bother reading the whole neogaf thread, some more info came out. PS4 COD ghosts took a month to get running and as at 90FPS. The XBONE version took 4 months and was at 15FPS. A Japanese dev (not SE) experienced similar.

what thread is it in?

The one Penello posted in. Here's a link to the actual post about COD http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=81321425&postcount=422

Kagari said that a japanese developer, who will stay nameless, reported similar issues.  hes post is on the page after.   I am skeptical to believe that much of a gap, but if true... just think how many games could be easily ported in no time.  we are going to have SO many games

Kind of reminds me of this cerny slide

Hah, what nonsense. 90 FPS vs 15? And of course, there is no source just a message bord...Neogaf no less, the least credible message board.

Kane1389 said:
Man, he is trying INSANELY hard. There is absolutely no way anyone can claim this guy isnt very insecure

Statements like this are stupid. He actually comes across as incredibly calm reasonable and mild compared to the hordes of aggressive and just plain mean fanboys attacking him, constantly calling him a liar to his face, etc.

If anynone seems insecure to me it's the guys who so aggressively insist PS4 must be so superior and nobody better dare say otherwise.

fallen said:
Xenostar said:
http://gamingbolt.com/resogun-dev-ps4-is-all-raw-power-gddr5-ram-and-gpu-will-result-in-better-multiplatform-games

Ehh, this guy is Sony 2nd party. He has no X1 dev kit and says what is expected, pimping his employer.

Also he doesn't even say PS4 will have better multiplats unlike the misleading headline. He says "people will ramp up effects for PS4" but in a vaccuum that's an innocous statement. It's like a X1 dev saying "people will ramp up effects for X1". Well of course they will.

They are still a multiplatform dev and have made games for xbox 360 (Outland) and as such no doubt have X1 Kits too. But yeah they are clearly more of a playsation dev in recent history. 

JoeTheBro said:
J_Allard said:
Of course multis are running equal. No 3rd party developer is going to neuter one version over another. But this won't change exclusives on PS4 looking better eventually, just like this gen. If you care about that type of stuff.

Well that only works out if XBONE sales compare to PS4. Devs will cheap out on the weakest link and this gen its been the PS3. Their games sold better on 360 so of course they wouldn't take the time to perfect PS3 versions like first parties did. Last gen it was XBOX which should have had every game looking much better but didn't.

Could you imagine if out of the gate XBONE games were the worst selling? If it was significantly worse than PS4 game sales, the power difference would effectively be multiplied. 3rd party devs would make the best PS4 version possible (to stay competitive with graphics) while giving the XBONE cheap ports.

MonstaMack said:
You won't see massive differences between both versions. I bet my name on here.

Massive is relative. Give some specifics. Also at launch of course the difference will be small since the only multiplats are also cross-gen.

3rd parties are about two things: cost and parity. And the Xbone will sell enough in 'Murica alone to justify quality development.