By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Penello on X1 vs PS4: "Developers are confirming cross platform games are running the same on both platforms":

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80999997&postcount=1163

"Basis is this:

1. Personally, I've seen both systems and games live at E3, Gamescom, and PAX. Played a little bit of PS4 games at PAX. There are great looking games on both systems. Ryse looks great, Forza is fantastic. I think Killzone looks awesome, and honestly have not been impressed with DriveClub (although it came a LONG way since E3). I really would like to see Infamous in person, but it hasn't been shown that I've seen. However, any difference between those games is subjective of course and subject to viewer bias, but looking at both systems it's hard to substantiate any claims around 40% - 50%

2. We're in the final stages of game and SW development now. We're working closely with 3rd parties as we approach launch. Reports we're hearing back from developers consistently are confirming that cross-plat games are running the same on both platforms.

I believe there is a point back near E3 where developers would have said their games were running better on PS4. I think Marc Whitten made the point that we'd just completed some driver work about a month ago just before Gamescom. And look at the frame-rate improvements in DR3 between Gamescom and PAX. We're making huge strides in our SW stability, and again, we have customized and balanced the system to reduce bottlenecks and optimize performance, in ways that aren't seen in the published specs.

As to the follow-up questions; I posted earlier I'm working with the engineers directly who I think (and you guys think) will be more credible than I am. I did say that I went to them for some supporting points which I posted here - so at this point it's probably best to let them speak on it. I'm not sure when, but more detail will show up.

It's late, and it's clear I'm doing more harm then good at this point. So best to let this rest from my seat and get back to you guys with the most credible source."

Wow, first I've heard somebody make such a bold statement. This post of Penello's seems to have gone unnoticed but I think it's a big deal.

In the past Penello has said more like "differnce wont be that big", but here he's saying developers are telling him they are equal.

Around the Network

The latest Dead Rising gameplay videos did show the game running much smoother, so he isn't wrong there.

fallen said:

In the past Penello has said more like "differnce wont be that big", but here he's saying developers are telling him they are equal.

That's not what they are saying.

Devs are saying that GAMES run the same on both consoles, which is kind of expected given that it's the first batch of games and that most studios are working with game engines not optimized to work for either console.

The differences in power, if there are any, will start to become more noticeable once devs get used with the consoles and the engines are tweaked to take advantage of each console's strengths.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

the thing is 40-50% (1.5 times as powerful) isn't really that big of a difference in how it looks. It's the difference between 30 and 42-45 FPS. Going from 4x AA MSAA to 8x MSAA can drop it that much itself.

That's if third parties try to fully optimize both systems and don't just say that the more powerful system is good enough while optimizing the lesser more.

In reality it's a lot more complicated. And imo he's spinning it in his favor.

werent we expecting devs to target parity as much as possible due to sensitive fans?

Around the Network

Someone should tell him to try harder, since no logical person belives his PR crap anymore. Not that he doesn't try hard enough!

larrysdirtydrawss said:
werent we expecting devs to target parity as much as possible due to sensitive fans?

I guess this will be the excuse when PS4 doesn't live up to the promises?

Somini said:
Someone should tell him to try harder, since no logical person belives his PR crap anymore. Not that he doesn't try hard enough!

I certainly believe what he's saying. Why wouldn't I?

There's no multiplats to compare yet, and PS4 certainly isn't showing any great difference on 1st party software.

larrysdirtydrawss said:

no,devs target parity due to economical reasons.

Why invest more when you can get away by doing nothing.(expect a more solid framerate and a little better AA,at best some better lighning or shadowing -things that can be done pretty cheap and easy)

the difference on consoles have always be the studio who make the game never the power, the power will only bring more studio tho, for the fact they coud make what they one with less effort.