By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo try out Sega's Genesis strategy?

Should they?

Yes! 43 47.25%

No 20 21.98%

Maybe 11 12.09%

Nintendo would be doomed, so yeah! 9 9.89%

I'mma go zee da rezults! 8 8.79%

Total:91

Back in the day the Sega Genesis and the SNES were the two sides fighting each other. The gen before though, it was pretty one sided. The NES outsold the Sega master system by a whole lot. With that, Nintendo pretty much had a monopoly. And they used it. They stopped quite a few third party devs. and publishers from making games for sega. So how did the Genesis gain ground?

Sega made their own games. Sports games, sidescrollers, RPGs, racers, you name it. They didn't have Mario. They made Sonic. They didn't have Final Fantasy. They made phantasy star.

What I'm getting at is that Nintendo is (sort of) in the same possition as Sega were. They have barely any third party support. Now with Nintendo's IPs (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, SSB and so on and so forth) they have a very good start. But they lack diversity. At the start of the gamecube era Nintendo tried it out, saying that Retro should make a football game, an rpg, an metroid game and another game for the western audiences. They put NST on making 1080 and Wave race. But as three of the retro games were canned, Nintendo stopped caring and went back to what they always did. 

I think Nintendo should try to fill up their library kinda like Sega did way back in the genesis era. What do you think?

Around the Network

Yes they should. I've been sating this for years.

Getting overseas studios was one of the best moves Sega ever made as a hardware maker. It helped them tremendously.

I LOVE ICELAND!

aren't they kinda doing that already? you know, Mario tennis, wii sports and all that fun shit.

It worked for Genesis but not for Saturn and so on...

The biggest issue with this is Nintendo just does not have enough development teams. They need to expand first.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

Nintendo don't have the talent to make games like the third party games they lack.

I prefer new and original projects over alternatives to the existing franchises that we already have on other systems.

Nintendo has the best in the business pal!

They need to acquire more studios and take more risks with new IPs. The Wonderful 101 was a start but they need more, much more. A part of what also made the Genesis successful was the marketing campaign and the overall design of the console. It was all in your face and Sega constantly took pot shots at the competition and had some pretty bad ass ads.

The only issue of course is it might betray Nintendo's image by suddenly going Genesis on everyone. It's an all or nothing risk but that's what made the Genesis successful.

If Nintendo really wants to keep making hardware, then yes they should do this. However they will never do as well as Sony until they can make the hardware they sell marketable and worth buying. FYI the Wii was the exception, not the rule.