By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo try out Sega's Genesis strategy?

Should they?

Yes! 43 47.25%

No 20 21.98%

Maybe 11 12.09%

Nintendo would be doomed, so yeah! 9 9.89%

I'mma go zee da rezults! 8 8.79%

Total:91
IsawYoshi said:
osed125 said:
DamnTastic said:

they got like a few billion on the bank. It ain't gonna hurt if they use a few million of it for new IP's. Done right they can even make money of it

They obviously aren't keeping all that money in the bank, some of that if being use for something. But giving the current state of AAA gaming, a "few millions" will only make the cut for one or two new quality IPs (which they don't know if they will be successful or not). Plus if that money is used, games like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc will be the priority.

Quick question: would an HD metroid that sold 2 millions be profitable if it was an HD equalient to Metroid Prime? 

I unfortunately couldn't find official numbers on how much a HD remake cost to make, but I can't imagine being that high, is definitely much much lower than a normal AAA game, so 2 million should waaaay more than enough to make a profit, this is giving that it's the exact game just in HD.

A remaster in the likes of Ocarina of Time 3D and WW HD should be more expensive to make, but I can't imagine it being much more higher than a remake (and again probably waaay lower than AAA games), so with 2 million a remaster should also be very profitable.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network

they should make game... period....

OP: Great idea ofcourse. They need to purchase more studios and start putting out more diverse games. Imagine if the Wii U had it's own "Titanfall" type game that was exclusive to nintendo (with a campaign mode ofcourse), or a game with a deep story and amazing gameplay like Last of Us? Imagine if they had a mixture of mature games as well as traditional nintendo games. If they could somehow find a balance, the perception of nintendo as a company would be changed for the better.

I don't like Virtua fighter, plus it replaced one of favourite fighting games, Eternal Champions, say what you want about Eternal Champions, bad fighting mechanics and what not, at least it had some interesting characters and I hear the second game on the mega cd was a really good fighting game then the third game got scrapped because of that bland game :/

They should...not that it would matter much in the end IMO. People tend to underestimate how big and important actually 3rd party games are for average PS/XBox gamer, so I suggest looking at some numbers for both PS2/XBox1 and PS3/360...

It would be great to see them do it though - I'm still patiently waiting for Sheikah themed RPG...

Around the Network

I'm going to be radical here and say Nintendo needs to shut down a bunch of their Japanese studios and use those funds to open American and European studios.

areason said:
Nintendo don't have the talent to make games like the third party games they lack.

hahahahaha   its the other way around bro

Well its a big gamble, if it doesnt pay off they could stand to lose alot of money.

Nintendo actually did something like that during the N64 era and worked out great for the gamer... no idea about the costs that went into supporting the development of games like Kobe Bryant's NBA Courtside, MLB featuring Ken Griffey Jr (which was probably cheaper because Nintendo owns the Seattle Mariners so they didn't have to pay as much to the MLB or Ken Griffey), Excitebike 64, various Rare games (Goldeneye, Banjo-Kazooie, etc.) and what ultimately became a GC game but Eternal Darkness. They had a lot of developers that produce a diverse set of games.

Not sure what happened during the GC to Wii era that made them shy away from the strategy outside of Japan because Nintendo's output in its home shores makes jokes out of what they put out in US. Europe seems lucky enough to have executives that while struggling aren't just letting the brand wither banking on the big name IPs but the US output in regards to consoles is well documented. But I can't believe it would be that expensive to set aside a budget and a medium to small team of developers to work on a few titles outside of their normal stock especially in the era of digital gaming where they don't even have to risk generating physical copies.

Nintendo really doesn't have to make new games in every genre and we can appreciate efforts like Lego City undercover and Wonderful 101 but the fact is the lack of games or advertising of the few games out there besides Nintendo Directs is hurting them more then the money they probably think they are saving.

What you are describing is not the Genesis approach. Sega actually heavily catered to less successful third parties (EA) that couldn't make it on Nintendo competing with the big guns (Konami, Capcom, etc.). That helped them get exclusive or "best" versions of EA Sports titles and others.

However, the strategy you are suggesting to go it alone could actually work, as could the true "Genesis strategy" I described above. Nintendo should open two western studios. One to make sports games in some of the key categories such as US and Euro Football. Realistic, licensed sports games. The other to make mature titles in categories like shooters or adventure games. They should also cater to a few up-and-coming 3rd parties like they are doing with Platinum. They may not have Metal Gear or GTA on their system, but by funding innovative new developers they may catch the "next" MG or GTA. Acquiring Monolith already goes well with this strategy. They can make games beyond what was once third party territory dominated by Square. Something similar for sports and shooters would really compliment the great platformers, adventure titles, etc that Nintendo make in-house.