By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo try out Sega's Genesis strategy?

Should they?

Yes! 43 47.25%

No 20 21.98%

Maybe 11 12.09%

Nintendo would be doomed, so yeah! 9 9.89%

I'mma go zee da rezults! 8 8.79%

Total:91
areason said:
Nintendo don't have the talent to make games like the third party games they lack.

They could expand.

Around the Network
IsawYoshi said:
GamechaserBE said:
It worked for Genesis but not for Saturn and so on...

Those to ain't comparable. Just because they were made by the same company, they are wery different. During the genesis era Sega got that people buy consoles for games. They had forgotten that the gen after. Also, releasing new hardware and peripheral every weekend does not help. 

Well just meant that making your own games back then was not going well...

Racing..

fighter:

lucky they had virtua fighter..

GamechaserBE said:
IsawYoshi said:
GamechaserBE said:
It worked for Genesis but not for Saturn and so on...

Those to ain't comparable. Just because they were made by the same company, they are wery different. During the genesis era Sega got that people buy consoles for games. They had forgotten that the gen after. Also, releasing new hardware and peripheral every weekend does not help. 

Well just meant that making your own games back then was not going well...

Racing..

fighter:

lucky they had virtua fighter..

They made plenty of good games though.Virtua fighter is a good example, Phantasy star is another. 

DamnTastic said:
nintendo should put that cash reserve of them at work.
i believe they can come up with quite a few interesting and amazing titles

Nintendo will never use that reserve cash unless they are in extreme panic mode. And by extreme I mean close to bankruptcy or something similar to that, and that won't happen in a very long time.

Nintendo and PC gamer

osed125 said:
DamnTastic said:
nintendo should put that cash reserve of them at work.
i believe they can come up with quite a few interesting and amazing titles

Nintendo will never use that reserve cash unless they are in extreme panic mode. And by extreme I mean close to bankruptcy or something similar to that, and that won't happen in a very long time.

they got like a few billion on the bank. It ain't gonna hurt if they use a few million of it for new IP's. Done right they can even make money of it

Around the Network

I agree.
In my opinion, if Nintendo does want to attract the PS and Xbox fans (who want more than Mario to buy a new console) they can`t just offer the classical Nintendo franchises. If that plan worked they wouldn`t be where they are now.
They need to give them the genres they like: sports, racing, FPS, RPGs, etc.

If they could build a fanbase around those genres, not only would that attract more gamers, it would also show 3rd parties those genres sell on Nintendo platforms.

DamnTastic said:
osed125 said:

they got like a few billion on the bank. It ain't gonna hurt if they use a few million of it for new IP's. Done right they can even make money of it

They obviously aren't keeping all that money in the bank, some of that if being use for something. But giving the current state of AAA gaming, a "few millions" will only make the cut for one or two new quality IPs (which they don't know if they will be successful or not). Plus if that money is used, games like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc will be the priority.

Nintendo and PC gamer

osed125 said:

They obviously aren't keeping all that money in the bank, some of that if being use for something. But giving the current state of AAA gaming, a "few millions" will only make the cut for one or two new quality IPs (which they don't know if they will be successful or not). Plus if that money is used, games like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc will be the priority.

yeh but if they keep prioritizing those franchises it's not going to change the situation.

I can't see why they shouldn't put their money to use instead of keep playing it safe.

osed125 said:
DamnTastic said:
osed125 said:

Quick question: would an HD metroid that sold 2 millions be profitable if it was an HD equalient to Metroid Prime? 

DamnTastic said:
osed125 said:

yeh but if they keep prioritizing those franchises it's not going to change the situation.

I can't see why they shouldn't put their money to use instead of keep playing it safe.

Getting Bayonetta 2 and W101 probably came from that money. They are also building a new building in order to expand their developing teams (iirc the building should be finish next year, but I'm not sure). So they are indeed investing in useful things. 

Nintendo and PC gamer