By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 'Nintendo could be on a path to irrelevance', says Atari founder

lehamsy said:
MohammadBadir said:
lehamsy said:

I think everyone will agree that the comparison between the Jaguar and the Wii-U is dumb. However, I think that a comparison between the Dreamcast and the Wii-U is more suitable. 

lol. how exactly?

Great hardware, great games, great price, being released before than any other console, lack of attention from the consumer due to other consoles. 

The situation is pretty much the same. 

Except Nintendo has money and Sega didn't.

Around the Network

^and ps1 owners had a reason to buy ps2. dvds.

sethnintendo said:
lehamsy said:
MohammadBadir said:
lehamsy said:

I think everyone will agree that the comparison between the Jaguar and the Wii-U is dumb. However, I think that a comparison between the Dreamcast and the Wii-U is more suitable. 

lol. how exactly?

Great hardware, great games, great price, being released before than any other console, lack of attention from the consumer due to other consoles. 

The situation is pretty much the same. 

Except Nintendo has money and Sega didn't.

Well, I'm not saying Nintendo is going to stop making hardware like Sega did. I'm just saying the situation of both consoles is very similar. 

Can you imagine if future human beings or aliens discover the Atari landfill sight in the future, then fire up E.T the Extraterrestrial, they'll think we played crap games lol

Lawlight said:
The only 2 things keeping Nintendo relevant at the moment is Japan and casuals.

I agree somewhat on Japan, but what casuals? We have a new gen, DS and Wii aren't selling much more. 3DS and WiiU have nothing to offer for the casual player. That's why the WiiU is struggling.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
lehamsy said:

I agree, that sales-wise and from it's position against competition Dreamcast and WiiU may be comparable. What people usually get wrong is, that this doesn't mean that Sega in the Dramcast-era and Nintendo in the WiiU-era are comparable. Sega didn't had a good sellign handheld-console back then and Sega didn't had the resources to survive through a gen.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

It's incredible, just 4 years ago the WII was just dominating the entire game industry with it's record breaking sales, and near record breaking software sales, and the DS was dominating as well.... in just a matter of 4 years nintendo go from being the top dog, to barely playing in the game..... yas

mM
leo-j said:
It's incredible, just 4 years ago the WII was just dominating the entire game industry with it's record breaking sales, and near record breaking software sales, and the DS was dominating as well.... in just a matter of 4 years nintendo go from being the top dog, to barely playing in the game..... yas

It isn't that bad for Nintendo now.  But, they are off where they were, even with the 3DS doing well.  The Wii U didn't continue what the Wii was doing.  The way the videogame industry works, is that it is next to impossible for anyone to stay on top for as long.

richardhutnik said:
leo-j said:

It isn't that bad for Nintendo now.  But, they are off where they were, even with the 3DS doing well.  The Wii U didn't continue what the Wii was doing.  The way the videogame industry works, is that it is next to impossible for anyone to stay on top for as long.

Nintendo has been on top for 30 years.. Even to this day they are number one in the games industry.  You jump from leaky ship to sinking ship.    You can't tell Leo was baiting?  

Anyone not taking this guy seriously, citing the failure of Atari, is not old enough to remember what actually happened.

Bushnell was forced out of Atari in 1978 over differences of opinion as to future direction. It continued to grow for the next three or four years but his fears proved correct and it crashed and burned.

This guy knows the business and, while I don't know whether his views on the WiiU are right or not, I certainly do not dismiss his opinions lightly.