By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 'Nintendo could be on a path to irrelevance', says Atari founder

Bushnell deserves all the respect in the world for his place in starting up the games industry. BUT, it's also laughably ironic that a guy who has made an artform out of becoming irrelevant, claims that the single most successful and popular game company in video game history, is "in danger of becoming irrelevant".

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
i do fear for nintendo not hopping in on online and mobiles but this guy is very grim

There is no more reason for Nintendo to ever put their games on cell phones, than there is for Sony to do so. It will never, and should never happen.

Nintendo will always be king of video games no matter what happens as the competition are not video game conpanys, so noone can take Nintendo's crown.

The Atari Jaguar? Really? That thing did worse than the Virtual Boy, and the comparisons to the Virtual Boy were already ridiculous enough.

VGChartz

It amazes me that so many journalist/people in the industry are predicting Nintendo demise yet never really question Sony/Microsoft future in gaming. Sony/Microsoft position is a lot more precarious than Nintendo in gaming. Nintendo have proven over decades that they can survive mainly on their own software which something that Sony/Microsoft could only ever dream of.

Sony/Microsoft are too reliant on their monopoly of Third Party's software to succeed. X1/PS4 could be in massive trouble IF they don't get large enough user base to appease Third Party Publishers. If not the Third Party's will just treat PS3/360 as their main focus for a lot longer which will be detrimental to the quality of X1/PS4 games and have a future focus away from Sony/Microsoft Platforms.

Around the Network

Someone is jelly (:

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

Th3PANO said:
bananaking21 said:
MohammadBadir said:
"says Atari founder"
stopped caring there.

thats why you should care. this guy made the company that coined the term "irrelevance" in the gaming industry

LOL Bananaking, Atari failed for different reasons. Shitty games, overpriced jaguar, promises ala "64 bit machine" and dated controllers were one of the reasons. Also Playstation was a new contender nobody had on the list. What people always forget is that Sega and Atari didn't have the exclusive and resource power that Nintendo has.

The Jaguar wasn't overpriced. but didn't really have a lot of good games.  It was just hard to code for, and a cart based system released when people were going disk format and away from carts.  And that Atari is NOT even the Bushell or Warner Communications Atari.  That Atari is the Tramiel era Atari, and he didn't like videogames, but thought throwing bits around would count.  When you have elements of 64 bit in your system (system did have a 64 bit bus in it) but people code to the 68000 chip in it, you get 16 bit games.  Rayman on the Jaguar, and Tempest 2000 are still notable titles though.  

http://www.metalstuff.com/area64/jaguar/64bits.html

My response:

In response to your response, I have to say I am insulted. No one in their right mind would add the bits of a system's processors.

The Jaguar has -five- not three processors. These five processors are contained on three chips. Two of the chips are proprietary designs, nicknamed "Tom" and "Jerry". The third chip is a standard Motorola 68000, and used as a coprocessor.

On the "Tom" chip there are three processors: the Graphics Processing Unit which has a 32-bit RISC architecture, the Object processor which has a 64-bit RISC architecture, and the Blitter which also has a 64-bit RISC architecture.

On the "Jerry" chip is the Digital Signal Processor which is 32-bits and has the same RISC core as the Graphics Processing Unit.

The Motorola 68000 is 16-bits.

peachbuggy said:
Nintendo will never be irrelevant as long as they have THE biggest franchises in the gaming world.

They said the same thing about Atari:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=167969&page=1#

The have legendary franchises, BUT how well they do depends on what people in a current time period thing about them.  Elder's Scroll has surpassed Zelda as far as being relevant.  You have Mario as a platformer, which is around, but how many people today buy a system just to play a Mario platformer?  Metroid is still legendary but the Other M managed to blunt a lot of relevance for it.  Actually now, Angry Birds and Minecraft are two of the largest IPs out there (buzzwise), and Nintendo didn't produce them.  When is the last time Nintendo produce a major driving new IP?  I would say Wii and t he Wii Sports.  Beyond this though?  They are milking old IP at this point.  They are not in the same places as they have been when Mario was king.  It happens.

Nintendo doesn't own any IP now that anyone but Nintendo loyalists end up buying Nintendo platforms for.

Also, I will add this here, in regards to what ChrolloLucilfer said above (saving a third reply).  Do NOT take what I same saying as myself targeting Nintendo to bash for giggles.   I could name others also, but did pick out Nintendo here, because someone goes "Nintendo forever!" type thing, so I was showing otherwise.  If Nintendo misses the market, the others can to.  Factors impacting Nintendo are impacting others to.  And it is right to say to not think everyone won't be impacted.  As of now, you are seeing a hoard at the games, reading to take their content, like Amazon, and get into the game console business.  And that isn't even including the multi-use portable devices.  And the titles they are pushing have TONS of downloads and have the buzz to them.  So the game media thinking it is just Nintendo, has issues.  Nintendo DOES have its own problems though.

I would also add the puppy avatar there is too cute for me not to give some cred to what Chrollo wrote.

Misleading title, he says they COULD be on a path to irrelevance, key word. And path is also a keyword, he's only mentioning one possible vision he sees way out.

And to all the idiots trying to blame the fall of Atari on Bushnell, he was forced out only one year after Warner Brothers bought them and completely restructured their home console sector (1978).

Um just no.