By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 'Nintendo could be on a path to irrelevance', says Atari founder

Talal said:
snyps said:
Talal said:

"Nokia was the world's largest vendor of mobile phones from 1998 to 2012."

Also Nintendo hasn't been number 1 for 30 years in home consoles and he's talking about the Wii U so handhelds are irrelevant.

from the article:"I don't think handheld game-only devices make sense anymore," he told the BBC. "Not when you have an iPod or an Android microtablet"

he's talking about both.

Nokia had it's biggest succes in 2003.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia#2000_to_present
that's when i first recognized them. If you can find when they were first no.1 in profits I would love to know. I cant find it. So i'm going with 2003 the Nokia 3310

They lost the no. 1 in profits position to apple in 2009
http://gigaom.com/2009/11/10/apple-shoots-past-nokia-as-worlds-most-profitable-handset-vendor/

thats six years by my calculations. But lmk if you find a src saying when they became no. 1 in profits.

Thought you were talking about units sold not profit. Most lists rank in terms of marketshare.

If marketshare mattered more than profit they'd be giving 'em away!

Around the Network

Oh my, Atari had a hit in the (awesome) 2600, but I don't think they actually know why and why their other consoles, all of them, failed hard. Comparing the WiiU to the Jaguar is the biggest stretch I've ever seen. I get comparing it to the Dreamcast in a way, but the Jaguar is a whole other level of fail. It was discontinued after three years after selling what? 250k? Not to mention the condition each company is/was in. Nintendo is wealthy and a lot more aces up their sleeves, while Atari was beyond irrelevant and they had been delaying the inevitable for multiple generations already!

MohammadBadir said:
"says Atari founder"
stopped caring there.

lol this ^^^

This reminds me of Oscar Dela Hoya and Floyd Mayweather. Gets but kicked, but now do anything to see the person that kicked your butt get his butt kicked.

I cant see there being a land fill site with a million copies of Mario being buried any time soon.

Around the Network

I bet Mr. Bushnell knows all about the path to irrelevance.

badgenome said:
Well, if anyone would know about the path to irrelevance...

Thats exactly what i thought. I lol'ed.

zippy said:
I cant see there being a land fill site with a million copies of Mario being buried any time soon.

lol Clint, i heard about something to do with Atari and a landfill sight, seems like this guy is butt hurt Atari are no longer able to make hardware and in a position Nintendo are in.

Theres no place for dedicated handhelds? lol thats why the 3DS is over 30million and on its way to 40million and vita it over 5million now i think, irrelevant company, irrelevant man with irrelevant statements.

MohammadBadir said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y37tPc08v90

Atari tried to hack Nintendo at some point XD

This is a really good short documentary and you should really see it this shows what kind of man he is and explains the butthurtness of the former Atari founder for their own failure.

Here come all the experts lol. He is right, denial is strong.