By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Vita a "Game Gear 2"?

MohammadBadir said:
kupomogli said:
MohammadBadir said:
kupomogli said:
The Vita has better battery life than the 3DS while the Game Gear took six double a batteries which would be dead within a couple hours.

because people buy dedicated gaming handhelds for battery life.

He was comparing it to the Game Gear and I was throwing some facts out there showing how that's not correct.   

Also, didn't people bash the PSP for only having four hours of battery life compared to the DS' six?  So yeah.  I think people do care about battery life.  Or maybe it was just Nintendo fans that bashed the PSP's battery life and then when all hypocritical on everyone when the 3DS was announced to have less than four hours.

in my many years in the Nintendo fandom, i have never seen a Nintendo fan use that as a point against the PSP :P

Then what planet have you lived on?

Battery life has been a key point in every analysis of how Nintendo handhelds beat their competition. Be it the Game Gear, Nomad, Turbo Express, or PSP.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
Tom3k said:
Viktor said:

And surprise no new 1st party announcement at E3 and GC, instead concentration on ports of old smartphone indy games and a publishing deal with a 3rd party developer for a Nintendogs clone called Playstationpets. This is exactly what the majority of PSV launch buyers bought the system for. Yeah, sorry I can´t take such apologists seriously anymore.

I can't say for what people bought PSV, but I know for what I did. I got it to play games on it when I don't have access to my PS3/PC. And I've been doing that for over a year now. Sure everybody whines that PSV only gets "ports" of homeconsole games... And while I would love to see more original content on Vita, I couldn't be happier for games like Dragon's Crown, Muramasa, P4, BlazBlue, Mortal Kombat, Sly Cooper, PASBR, Rayman Origins... Borderlands 2, FF X, Rayman Legends...

That´s fine if you are happy with old ports since I already played the original ones I was interested in, obviously I don´t really care about those. There just is no reason to whine about people who actually don´t like where the PSV is actually heading into. The problem is that even such ports are getting sparce as time goes by and the focus now lies in ports of cheap smartphone games instead of ports of old console games.

J_Allard said:
No. The Game Gear was awesome. The Vita is terrible.

Do you even own a Vita?

Viktor said:
Tom3k said:
Viktor said:

And surprise no new 1st party announcement at E3 and GC, instead concentration on ports of old smartphone indy games and a publishing deal with a 3rd party developer for a Nintendogs clone called Playstationpets. This is exactly what the majority of PSV launch buyers bought the system for. Yeah, sorry I can´t take such apologists seriously anymore.

I can't say for what people bought PSV, but I know for what I did. I got it to play games on it when I don't have access to my PS3/PC. And I've been doing that for over a year now. Sure everybody whines that PSV only gets "ports" of homeconsole games... And while I would love to see more original content on Vita, I couldn't be happier for games like Dragon's Crown, Muramasa, P4, BlazBlue, Mortal Kombat, Sly Cooper, PASBR, Rayman Origins... Borderlands 2, FF X, Rayman Legends...

That´s fine if you are happy with old ports since I already played the original ones I was interested in, obviously I don´t really care about those. There just is no reason to whine about people who actually don´t like where the PSV is actually heading into. The problem is that even such ports are getting sparce as time goes by and the focus now lies in ports of cheap smartphone games instead of ports of old console games.

Yeah, we get it. Every port the Vita gets, is of an old game nobody should even care about anymore.

Like Dragon's Crown (2013, simultaneously with PS3), Guacamelee! (2013, simultaneously with PS3), Rayman Legends (2013, 2 weeks late), Quell Memento (2013, 2 weeks late), Jacob Jones (2013, simultaneously with iOS), TWD 400 Days (2013, 6 weeks late), The Walking Dead (2012, GotY), Dead or Alive 5 (2012), NfS: Most Wanted (simultaneously with PS3/PC/360), Hotline Miami (2012), Sine Mora (2012), Sound Shapes (2012, simultaneously with PS3), Virtue's Last Reward (2012, simultaneously with 3DS), The Pinball Arcade (simultaneously with PS3/360), Retro City Rampage (simultaneously with PS3/PC), Rayman Origins (2011, 3 months late),  Limbo (2010)...

Ports of older games are even more worthless, since EVERYONE already played EVERY game in the past. And don't come with "upgraded graphics", "portability" or "additional gameplay", Persona 4 was perfect on PS2, so were MGS2, MGS3 and Final Fantasy X/X-2.

And smartphone/tablet-games are per se BAD games, even if they get much more playable with real sticks and buttons. The same goes for the dreaded "indie games", impossible to have fun with low budget games, even if they have great ideas/concepts and fresh approaches.

MohammadBadir said:
tiffac said:

Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice, Sounds & Shapes. Freedom Wars should be localized too.

4 games, how do they compare to the MANY 3DS games?

I do not have a 3DS so I cannot make any honest comparison. I only answered you with the games that I have played with the last one I am looking forward to. Trolling is not in my blood to make ASSumptions. So you have to forgive me for that.

Around the Network

If it is then, after the next couple generations of handhelds, will the vita games be on the Nintendo Gd(Giga definition; after high definition) 2160p handheld console called "Ectoplasm"?

Viktor said:

That´s fine if you are happy with old ports since I already played the original ones I was interested in1, obviously I don´t really care about those. There just is no reason to whine about people who actually don´t like where the PSV is actually heading into2. The problem is that even such ports are getting sparce as time goes by and the focus now lies in ports of cheap smartphone games instead of ports of old console games3.

1) I don't know how much either time or money you have on your hands, but right now I don't have too much of either. So I can't say that I played every game I was interested in, if you did... well good for you. But if anything we've learned from E3 and GC is that there's a lot of NEW indie games heading our way. 

2) If I don't like a product, I don't buy a product. If I buy a prodact that I end up not enjyoing as much as I hoped, I'll sell it. There's no reason to waste my time or money, on something that obviously isn't worth either (to me). So if you don't like where PSV is headed why don't you get rid of it, and buy something else that you'll hopefully enjoy more?

3) I don't understand why you are so focused on "cheap smartphone games", but even cheap smarthphone games can be good and with proper input controlls even better. But since SONY founded a new studio that should bring more 3rd party content towards us, i hope that Borderlands 2 is just a start.

Conina said:
Viktor said:
Tom3k said:
Viktor said:

Yeah, we get it. Every port the Vita gets, is of an old game nobody should even care about anymore.

Like Dragon's Crown (2013, simultaneously with PS3), Guacamelee! (2013, simultaneously with PS3), Rayman Legends (2013, 2 weeks late), Quell Memento (2013, 2 weeks late), Jacob Jones (2013, simultaneously with iOS), TWD 400 Days (2013, 6 weeks late), The Walking Dead (2012, GotY), Dead or Alive 5 (2012), NfS: Most Wanted (simultaneously with PS3/PC/360), Hotline Miami (2012), Sine Mora (2012), Sound Shapes (2012, simultaneously with PS3), Virtue's Last Reward (2012, simultaneously with 3DS), The Pinball Arcade (simultaneously with PS3/360), Retro City Rampage (simultaneously with PS3/PC), Rayman Origins (2011, 3 months late),  Limbo (2010)...

Ports of older games are even more worthless, since EVERYONE already played EVERY game in the past. And don't come with "upgraded graphics", "portability" or "additional gameplay", Persona 4 was perfect on PS2, so were MGS2, MGS3 and Final Fantasy X/X-2.

I´m just talking about my own buying habits which looking at most sales numbers isn´t actually that uncommon.

Ports of old games: if I was interested in one of those games I likely already bought them, if not probably I didn´t really have any interest in the first place, thank god I´m not desperate enough to buy mediocre games to justify a system I´ve bought and a patient person that I actually can wait for new software.

ports of PS3 games("simultanous release"): mostly downgraded on PSV, so I don´t really see a reason to choose the inferior version of the game

ports of smartphone games: no thank you

The biggest problem right now is that Sony is pushing extremely hard the the latter/old smartphone indy games category, something I just don´t care about. It´s a nice bonus for the ones who care, but personally I bought the system more for games like Wipeout2047. So please PSV lovers have mercy.

Tom3k said:
3) I don't understand why you are so focused on "cheap smartphone games", but even cheap smarthphone games can be good and with proper input controlls even better. But since SONY founded a new studio that should bring more 3rd party content towards us, i hope that Borderlands 2 is just a start.

I would be a happy camper if they could bring the games that were voted on #jrpgvita coz those games deserves localization.

MohammadBadir said:

no. fact :P

please name the good Vita games that aren't ports :P

It's funny the Nintendo crowd constantly throws out that the Vita is nothing but ports, when they more than likely don't have either the PS3 or 360 to actually play those so called ports.  If you don't own a PS360, then the "ports" argument is a moot point because you won't have access to those games regardless.

Ports apparently only count for Nintendo though.  If you're Sony and you have ports or multiconsole games, it's like commiting all seven deadly sins at once.  Nintendo though it's fine.  Zelda OoT, Rayman Legends, Super Street Fighter 4, Star Fox 64, and Cave Story.  You always see these listed as good games for the 3DS.