By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Why PC Gaming is Surging

Tagged games:

Do you do PC gaming?

Yes 94 74.02%

No 33 25.98%

Total:127

I love pc gaming, but i only use my pc for mobas/rts games.

PC gaming is surging because of the growth of e sports, and because of indies/mobas.

Around the Network
areason said:

PC gaming is surging because of the growth of e sports, and because of indies/mobas.

Exactly. The very things consoles can't touch just yet. When they figure out the answer PC gaming is in trouble yet again.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
areason said:

Exactly. The very things consoles can't touch just yet. When they figure out the answer PC gaming is in trouble yet again.

No it's not, because PC is where the innovation's at.

Zkuq said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

No it's not, because PC is where the innovation's at.

LOL...thats the point. The innovation is exclusive yet noticable to PC because console gaming can't get their hands on it (yet). Write it any way you want, FPS was once innovation as well and its evolution took place on a PC, yet its evolution at its height went no further than it is now. I mean if you're looking for commercial gimmick examples we could use Duck Hunt, House of the dead and other shooters of that ilk. Sooner or later Sony and Microsoft might just add a keyboard into the livingroom space. Look what wonders Nintendo bringing the analog stick into gaming did for FPS on consoles. :)

S.T.A.G.E. said:
areason said:

Consoles will never have an answer to rts games and mobas. And services like psn/xbl will never match the great deals on steam. 

Around the Network
areason said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
areason said:

Consoles will never have an answer to rts games and mobas. And services like psn/xbl will never match the great deals on steam. 

LOL...Who told you this? Anything is possible, you just need to figure it out. If they were to make their way to consoles, their revenue to grow exponentially because thats where the mass market is.

So if you mean to tell me a device like this was to be created for consoles, that it wouldn't be able to be created? Specific keys included. Hmmmm. it would cost what, thirty, forty bucks?

Even motion controls promote a viable option for RTS. Ever seen minority report?

3rd party support, exclusives, cheaper games, no monthly fees nto play online, better graphics, gamepads + Keyboard & Mouse, retro-compatibility, emulation...yes PC gaming looks more appealing than ever to me. Actually I'm considering to buy a new PC next year rather than a ps4 or an xbox one.

areason said:

Pretty much this.

Over the years we have had: StarCraft, Command and Conquer, Halo, Supreme Commander all try the RTS genre. - All have flopped relative to the numbers the PC pulls just for RTS.

Simply put, you can't do high levels of APM and multi-tasking on a limited controller pad, nor can consoles handle Thousands of units on screen with complex A.I due to their CPU's being woefully inadequate, hence why you won't see Rome 2 or Shogun 2 like-games on console.
StarCraft 1 has probably sold almost 10 million copies, I would be surprised if it sold a million copies on the Nintendo 64 for instance.

Other Niche' genre's like Turn-based Strategy seems like it's out of the realm of consoles too, even though the likes of Heroes of Might and Magic and Civilization do well on PC.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

riderz13371 said:
If I had the money to build/buy a beastly PC then I would. Play multiplats on PC and get PS4 for exclusives.

This is essentially what I do with the PS3, but with the occasional free PS+ multiplat also played on PS3 (though those are fairly rare just because in the time it takes for a game to get up on PS+, it's generally been dirt cheap on Steam and I've bought it that way). I also got AC3 on PS3 because the PC versions of that series suck, and GTA5 because I'd rather play it at launch than wait for a PC version.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

S.T.A.G.E. said:

LOL...Who told you this? Anything is possible, you just need to figure it out. If they were to make their way to consoles, their revenue to grow exponentially because thats where the mass market is.

So if you mean to tell me a device like this was to be created for consoles, that it wouldn't be able to be created? Specific keys included. Hmmmm. it would cost what, thirty, forty bucks?

No standard controller => very small percentage of owners => very few games developed with support for it => zero impact on the market.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.