Forums - PC Discussion - Why PC Gaming is Surging

Tagged games:

Do you do PC gaming?

Yes 94 74.02%

No 33 25.98%

Total:127
Pemalite said:
riderz13371 said:

Steam has some free to play titles that are worthwhile but most get boring/repetitive quickly. What features does Steam offer that I have to pay for on my PS3/PS4? There are even some features on the PS4/PS3 that steam doesn't have which are free to use. Now even next gen consoles are embracing F2P games. Also, I would disagree that PS Plus is horrible value. The amount of money you save with the "free" games/discounts is incredible. Sure you have to stay subscribed to use those games but I don't plan on unsubscribing so it's not an issue for me.

Don't you have (And thus pay) to have PS+ for basic functionality such as voice chat and Multiplayer on the PS4? (I.E. Included in the PS+ price.)

Besides, whatever features that Steam doesn't have you can get for free via 3rd parties, feel free to name them.

Lets face it, no one in the gaming business beats the Steam sales. (Except Amazon which will attempt to price match), add the daily sales, mid-week sales, weekend sales and Humble Bundle packs that will activate on Steam... Sony and Microsoft actually downright looks like thieves in comparison.

Then you have Steam greenlight so you can vote for games you want available, take in-game photos and video and share them with other players (Can't do that on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3!), voice chat, Steam workshop for mods and other content, big picture mode for those who love to game on a TV and use a controller, offline mode, free games, free-game-weekends, free game beta's, automagic patching, massively improved graphics and sound to the point where it's simply no comparison.
Next Generation console games will still pale in comparison to my own PC graphically. :)

There is roughly 85 games free to play/own on Steam, sure some are downright crap, but that's a given even on the Xbox and Playstation, there are some *excellent* games in it however.
Then you have mods. Oh the mods, entirely new game franches have become big because of that, like Dota 2 or League of Legends, some of the worlds most actively played games based on a WarCraft 3 map with 12 million+ players a day.

Left 4 Dead and DayZ started as mods, mods can completely change games such as Skyrim so they're a million times better with better graphics, new campaigns, you name it.

Lets face it, Playstation Network was great when you didn't have to pay for basic functionality such as Multi-player gaming (I blame Microsoft for setting the precedent.) but this next generation is just poor form.

The price of next generation is pretty high too, I can pick up a Core 2 Quad Q6600 second hand machine, granted it would be about 6 years old now... For roughly $150, Drop in 8Gb of ram and a Radeon 7950 and a new Powersupply for about $550 - $600 total, overclock the Core 2 Quad to around 3.6ghz and you have a system about the same Price as a Playstation 4 here in Australia.
You have a superior, cheaper syetem. (Both initially and massively over the long term.)
The other bonus to it is, you're not restricted to only what Microsoft and Sony says you can do.

The main issue I have with only PC gaming is there are barely any "dedicated" games for it. It's not like I can get Uncharted 4 or God of War 4 on PC. Also, yeah I'm sure you can build a really good PC with 600$ but first of all I have no clue on how to build it and second of all in a couple of years it won't be able to run the newest games at decent settings. With a console I don't have to worry about my PS4 being able to run the next Uncharted game or the next Gran Turismo game. You know that when you buy a console you don't have to worry about whether or not you will be able to run the game. And consoles have first party developers that bring out some of the greatest games of all time that you simply can't play on PC.

Also I just wanted to let you know party chat is free on PS4. You don't need PS+ for it. I'm pretty sure the only thing behind a paywall on the PS4 is the multiplayer. Of course I'm not including things like Netflix and whatnot but that's not really Sony's decision. 

Around the Network
riderz13371 said:

The main issue I have with only PC gaming is there are barely any "dedicated" games for it. It's not like I can get Uncharted 4 or God of War 4 on PC. Also, yeah I'm sure you can build a really good PC with 600$ but first of all I have no clue on how to build it and second of all in a couple of years it won't be able to run the newest games at decent settings. With a console I don't have to worry about my PS4 being able to run the next Uncharted game or the next Gran Turismo game. You know that when you buy a console you don't have to worry about whether or not you will be able to run the game. And consoles have first party developers that bring out some of the greatest games of all time that you simply can't play on PC.

Also I just wanted to let you know party chat is free on PS4. You don't need PS+ for it. I'm pretty sure the only thing behind a paywall on the PS4 is the multiplayer. Of course I'm not including things like Netflix and whatnot but that's not really Sony's decision. 

There are dedicated aka exclusive games for PC, probably more on PC than any other specific platform.
The problem is, you are tied to those franchises, which is fine, that comes down to personal taste.
I would personally keep StarCraft or Company of Heroes over Uncharted and Heroes of Might and Magic or The Settlers over God of War, again that comes down to personal taste, but I like games with a little more depth to it, rather than being full of boring quick-time events. :)

If you want some of the best games of all time, there are some available on PC.
Take Battlezone 2, Sacrifice, Total Annihialation, StarCraft, WarCraft, Dark Reign, The Settlers, Civilization, Red Orchestra, Heroes of Might and Magic, League of Legends, Defense Of The Ancients, Company of Heroes and soon Star Citizen (First publicly funded AAA game), Planetary Annihialation, Sins of a Solar Empire, Titan Quest, Anno series, Total War Series, Half Life, Sim City, Counter Strike... Just to name a few.

As for the PC being obsolete in a couple years, that certainly just isn't true anymore.
A 6 year old Core 2 Quad/Phenom x4 can still run pretty much every PC game just fine these days, just drop in a $100-$200 GPU every couple of years and you're running at max again, with better graphics than a console.
As I linked above, even a monkey can upgrade a PC, it's that easy.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
riderz13371 said:

There are dedicated aka exclusive games for PC, probably more on PC than any other specific platform.
The problem is, you are tied to those franchises, which is fine, that comes down to personal taste.
I would personally keep StarCraft or Company of Heroes over Uncharted and Heroes of Might and Magic or The Settlers over God of War, again that comes down to personal taste, but I like games with a little more depth to it, rather than being full of boring quick-time events. :)

If you want some of the best games of all time, there are some available on PC.
Take Battlezone 2, Sacrifice, Total Annihialation, StarCraft, WarCraft, Dark Reign, The Settlers, Civilization, Red Orchestra, Heroes of Might and Magic, League of Legends, Defense Of The Ancients, Company of Heroes and soon Star Citizen (First publicly funded AAA game), Planetary Annihialation, Sins of a Solar Empire, Titan Quest, Anno series, Total War Series, Half Life, Sim City, Counter Strike... Just to name a few.

As for the PC being obsolete in a couple years, that certainly just isn't true anymore.
A 6 year old Core 2 Quad/Phenom x4 can still run pretty much every PC game just fine these days, just drop in a $100-$200 GPU every couple of years and you're running at max again, with better graphics than a console.
As I linked above, even a monkey can upgrade a PC, it's that easy.

Are you implying that Uncharted and God of War are boring quick time event games? I don't think they would be getting 90+ metascores if that had been the case. Look at the hate Ryse got after E3 when you killed every enemy with a qte.

riderz13371 said:

Are you implying that Uncharted and God of War are boring quick time event games? I don't think they would be getting 90+ metascores if that had been the case. Look at the hate Ryse got after E3 when you killed every enemy with a qte.

Did you play Uncharted 3? Ladders constantly breaking, the entire first part was riddled with quick time events! :P
God of War relies on it heavily in combat.

That doesn't mean it's a bad game, it's got a good story and some good gameplay, it's just not my cup of tea, which is fine, personal taste and all.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
riderz13371 said:

Did you play Uncharted 3? Ladders constantly breaking, the entire first part was riddled with quick time events! :P

That doesn't mean it's a bad game, it's got a good story and some good gameplay, it's just not my cup of tea, which is fine, personal taste and all.

Yeah I've played Uncharted 3. Loved it.

Around the Network

Because some people have decided that if they have to deal with installs, broken games at launch, and patches no matter what, they'd better buy a PC and get better graphics, free mods and online now that non-Nintendo consoles and PC's share most of their library (specially their best selling games).

Who'd thought that after years of console gaming expansion and PC struggling, consoles becoming PC-like would reverse the trend.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Zkuq said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Exactly. The very things consoles can't touch just yet. When they figure out the answer PC gaming is in trouble yet again.

No it's not, because PC is where the innovation's at.

LOL...thats the point. The innovation is exclusive yet noticable to PC because console gaming can't get their hands on it (yet). Write it any way you want, FPS was once innovation as well and its evolution took place on a PC, yet its evolution at its height went no further than it is now. I mean if you're looking for commercial gimmick examples we could use Duck Hunt, House of the dead and other shooters of that ilk. Sooner or later Sony and Microsoft might just add a keyboard into the livingroom space. Look what wonders Nintendo bringing the analog stick into gaming did for FPS on consoles. :)

My point was that by the time consoles get their hands on what was innovated on PC, PC will have innovated something new already. Consoles will never be the place for large-scale innovation, they're too closed systems for that.

Zkuq said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Zkuq said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Exactly. The very things consoles can't touch just yet. When they figure out the answer PC gaming is in trouble yet again.

LOL...thats the point. The innovation is exclusive yet noticable to PC because console gaming can't get their hands on it (yet). Write it any way you want, FPS was once innovation as well and its evolution took place on a PC, yet its evolution at its height went no further than it is now. I mean if you're looking for commercial gimmick examples we could use Duck Hunt, House of the dead and other shooters of that ilk. Sooner or later Sony and Microsoft might just add a keyboard into the livingroom space. Look what wonders Nintendo bringing the analog stick into gaming did for FPS on consoles. :)

My point was that by the time consoles get their hands on what was innovated on PC, PC will have innovated something new already. Consoles will never be the place for large-scale innovation, they're too closed systems for that.

innovations happen on consoles all the time, so i don't know what you're talking about.

On top of all the features, benefits and qualities of PC gaming, just consider this: you can add the POWER of PIZZA to your gaming PC! No console is capable of such awesomeness!!!

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/fully-functional-pizza-box-computers

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Play4Fun said:
Zkuq said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Zkuq said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

innovations happen on consoles all the time, so i don't know what you're talking about.

Innovation on consoles isn't as easy as on PC because consoles are a closed platform. PC is open, anyone can develop for it, and it shows. For every innovative game on consoles, you have ten on PC.