By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who will sell more in 2014. PS4, Xbox One or WiiU (Edited thread)

Who will sell more in 2014

Ps4 562 40.87%

Xbox One 471 34.25%

WiiU 241 17.53%

See results 99 7.20%

Total:1,373

Really shows the breakdown of fans for each system on this site as it seems everyone just voted for their favorite system when the question was actually which system would sell the most in 2014.

You could say I am biased in favor of Xbox One. I would argue this is not entirely true, but even with that out of the way, I think the breakdown will be as follows

1. PS4 (price difference and positive momentum on top of some good exclusives will carry its sales at least through 2014)

2. Xbox One (Momentum from 360, huge exclusives like Titanfall and Halo 5, various other exclusives that could turn out good or bad, and a wildcard with the new Kinect)

3. Wii U (price cut will help, a range of big exclusives will help as well, but sales will not pick up significantly until Super Smash and Mario Kart are out, and even then it will be surpassed by Xbox One by a fair margin and PS4 by an even larger number)

As someone who is getting an Xbox One at launch, I would love to see it take the top spot for 2014,  but this thread is supposed to be about which system will be on top, and not which system you want to be on top of sales in 2014.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Whoever thinks the Wii U is going to outsell the Xbox One is kidding themselves. 65 votes to 52? Someone doesn't like the truth or they are a fanboy.

Yep im a fanboy because I disagree with u about sales of a product that has yet to release. One will probably outsell Wii U in the long run but this thread is strickly about 2014.

Wii U+up to 8 games+extra controller+free online=$680

Xbox One+1 game+extra controller+1 year online=$680

To me the Wii U looks like a much better deal, im sure the average consumer feels the same way.

Looking at the games Wii U has slated for the end of this year plus next year, u will see 6 games that sell over 5 million on a consistant basis. 3D Mario, DKC, Wii Party, Wii Fit, Mario Kart and Smash Bros along with the already released Nintendo Land and 2D Mario plus Wii Sports and Zelda are strong possibilities for next year as well, bringing the total amount of games on Wii U that are either guaranteed or have potential to sell over 5 million to 10. Then add In the support titles like Lego City, Sonic, Yoshi, Pikmin, W101, Bayonetta, M&S Olympics, Wind Waker, X, SMTxFE, ZombiU, Monster Hunter, any multiplats and u have a solid library of games with strong appeal to Nintendo fans, kids, families, casuals and even hardcore gamers.

Xbox One has a great list of games releasing this year and next but the only problem is that most of those games are on anywhere from 2 to 6 platforms. One will share games like Crimson Dragon, Project Spark, and Titanfall with 360 which is half the price and has an install base going on 80m. Other games will be split up amonst One/PS4/PC/360/PS3/WiiU so those games wont have a huge impact on sales. Another thing is Xbox and Playstation fight for the same crowd of primarily 18-34 year old males and with PS4 being $100 cheaper plus being a more popular brand in Europe and Japan means it has a very strong chance of stealing that crowd from One.

Once the price comes down and PS360 support slows down then I see One outselling Wii U but in 2014 I see Wii U selling better due to price, big selling exclusives and appeals to more than one primary demographic.

It doesn't matter how many first party games are guaranteed nor the cost. People side with the variation of developers. Look at the sales of the Xbox 360 year for year. Do you think that if Sony launched next to them in that same year with their numbers, that the PS3 wouldn't be around eight to ten million ahead of them? Add it up, you'll see. Microsoft went for broke trying to get as many titles, and their numbers still didnt beat them year for year. This is a $599 console vs one with a $399 model. They lost a healthy portion of their marketshare to MS, but they still statistically sold more in the same amount of time.

The Wii U looks like the better deal, but when it comes right down to it people expect growth from consoles. I am not talking about a Wii-like situation, but to experience newer, more attractive worlds. The Wii U is not that, its the same thing we've always had with a tablet controller. People cannot tell the difference between a Wii U a 360 and a PS3 and thats what will hold down the price of the Wii U come holiday season. Games like GTA, GT5 and others will eclipse it throughout the holiday season while the late adopters buy consoles. Nintendo fans will buy the next Mario, but it wont help. They can bundle it as much as they like, this is not the Wii. The system sellers will come and sell consoles, but when Sony and Microsoft bring their heavy hitters next year, what will Nintendo have to fend them off with, especially with the next gen third party games that they cannot touch? 

Nintendo screwed themselves and doomed themselves back to Gamecube status. I will have a Wii myself, so Nintendo has got a guaranteed sale from me, but history is history and it has proven a great lesson. Without third party you lose out on at least a quarter to half of what could be your combined total sales. First party can only do so much and that covers like 10-15 million consumers depending on the variation or even more and further spread out. 

To hard to tell just yet... Wii U is getting some ass kicking games this year, and even more are inbound next year, so counting them out right now is foolish. But the hype surrounding PS4 and Xbox1... They might steamroll Wii U!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

YoyOne said:
Wii U most important year is probably going to be 2014. Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8, two huge system sellers will be out, and I expect the truly new Zelda and Super Mario to come out at the end of 2014.

But I think that won't be enough against the PS4, which seems to be a huge success even at 400€ and with a limited line-up.

So I expect something like this for 2014 :
PS4 : 16mil
Wii U : 13mil
XOne : 12mil

I'm sorry but I am beyond tired of hearing about how Nintendo's core IPs are going to somehow matter. I understand that LAST gen, they did. But that was because the Wii was a trojan horse of sorts. If you want proof that Smash and Kart aren't game changers, look to the N64 and Gamecube. Both of those systems got their asses handed to them by Sony and both had Smash and Kart, along with every other first party IP you could dream of.

People just need to get over it. The Wii-U isn't going anywhere. That's why I chose to go with the 3DS this gen. To me, that's the defaco Nintendo console. It gets all the love and attention that the Wii-U doesn't from Nintendo AND it's got amazing third party support. Who needs a Wii-U when you have a 3DS?

prayformojo said:
YoyOne said:
Wii U most important year is probably going to be 2014. Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8, two huge system sellers will be out, and I expect the truly new Zelda and Super Mario to come out at the end of 2014.

But I think that won't be enough against the PS4, which seems to be a huge success even at 400€ and with a limited line-up.

I'm sorry but I am beyond tired of hearing about how Nintendo's core IPs are going to somehow matter. I understand that LAST gen, they did. But that was because the Wii was a trojan horse of sorts. If you want proof that Smash and Kart aren't game changers, look to the N64 and Gamecube. Both of those systems got their asses handed to them by Sony and both had Smash and Kart, along with every other first party IP you could dream of.

People just need to get over it. The Wii-U isn't going anywhere. That's why I chose to go with the 3DS this gen. To me, that's the defaco Nintendo console. It gets all the love and attention that the Wii-U doesn't from Nintendo AND it's got amazing third party support. Who needs a Wii-U when you have a 3DS?

I disagree with you. Mario Kart and Smash Bros are game changers. At the time of N64 and GameCube, they weren't game changers, but now they are. With DS and Wii, Mario Kart has moved from 8 million players to 34 million players, while Smash Bros from 6m to 12m. These franchises gained popularity, and they are now excellent long-term system sellers in my opinion.

With Mario Kart and Smash Bros out, many of the DS/Wii players will probably be much more interested in the Wii U. If you add brand new Super Mario and/or Zelda and/or Pokémon games for the end of 2014, 13 million for the year is absolutely possible.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
zorg1000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Whoever thinks the Wii U is going to outsell the Xbox One is kidding themselves. 65 votes to 52? Someone doesn't like the truth or they are a fanboy.

Yep im a fanboy because I disagree with u about sales of a product that has yet to release. One will probably outsell Wii U in the long run but this thread is strickly about 2014.

Wii U+up to 8 games+extra controller+free online=$680

Xbox One+1 game+extra controller+1 year online=$680

To me the Wii U looks like a much better deal, im sure the average consumer feels the same way.

Looking at the games Wii U has slated for the end of this year plus next year, u will see 6 games that sell over 5 million on a consistant basis. 3D Mario, DKC, Wii Party, Wii Fit, Mario Kart and Smash Bros along with the already released Nintendo Land and 2D Mario plus Wii Sports and Zelda are strong possibilities for next year as well, bringing the total amount of games on Wii U that are either guaranteed or have potential to sell over 5 million to 10. Then add In the support titles like Lego City, Sonic, Yoshi, Pikmin, W101, Bayonetta, M&S Olympics, Wind Waker, X, SMTxFE, ZombiU, Monster Hunter, any multiplats and u have a solid library of games with strong appeal to Nintendo fans, kids, families, casuals and even hardcore gamers.

Xbox One has a great list of games releasing this year and next but the only problem is that most of those games are on anywhere from 2 to 6 platforms. One will share games like Crimson Dragon, Project Spark, and Titanfall with 360 which is half the price and has an install base going on 80m. Other games will be split up amonst One/PS4/PC/360/PS3/WiiU so those games wont have a huge impact on sales. Another thing is Xbox and Playstation fight for the same crowd of primarily 18-34 year old males and with PS4 being $100 cheaper plus being a more popular brand in Europe and Japan means it has a very strong chance of stealing that crowd from One.

Once the price comes down and PS360 support slows down then I see One outselling Wii U but in 2014 I see Wii U selling better due to price, big selling exclusives and appeals to more than one primary demographic.

It doesn't matter how many first party games are guaranteed nor the cost. People side with the variation of developers. Look at the sales of the Xbox 360 year for year. Do you think that if Sony launched next to them in that same year with their numbers, that the PS3 wouldn't be around eight to ten million ahead of them? Add it up, you'll see. Microsoft went for broke trying to get as many titles, and their numbers still didnt beat them year for year. This is a $599 console vs one with a $399 model. They lost a healthy portion of their marketshare to MS, but they still statistically sold more in the same amount of time.

The Wii U looks like the better deal, but when it comes right down to it people expect growth from consoles. I am not talking about a Wii-like situation, but to experience newer, more attractive worlds. The Wii U is not that, its the same thing we've always had with a tablet controller. People cannot tell the difference between a Wii U a 360 and a PS3 and thats what will hold down the price of the Wii U come holiday season. Games like GTA, GT5 and others will eclipse it throughout the holiday season while the late adopters buy consoles. Nintendo fans will buy the next Mario, but it wont help. They can bundle it as much as they like, this is not the Wii. The system sellers will come and sell consoles, but when Sony and Microsoft bring their heavy hitters next year, what will Nintendo have to fend them off with, especially with the next gen third party games that they cannot touch? 

Nintendo screwed themselves and doomed themselves back to Gamecube status. I will have a Wii myself, so Nintendo has got a guaranteed sale from me, but history is history and it has proven a great lesson. Without third party you lose out on at least a quarter to half of what could be your combined total sales. First party can only do so much and that covers like 10-15 million consumers depending on the variation or even more and further spread out. 

i could say the same thing about One dooming Itself to original Xbox status, people bring up GC selling poorly despite all the big first party titles but Xbox had Halo, excellent third party support, the best online and better multimedia features and barely beat GC. It doesnt need to sell like Wii in order for it to outsell One for a single year, GC was able to outsell Xbox in 2003, the year Mario Kart and Zelda released and the price was $99 vs $179. Fast forward to 2014 and Wii U is getting Mario Kart, Smash Bros and possibly Zelda plus the price is $299 vs $499.

Ur right One will have excellent 3rd party support but like I said in my last post, many will be split up by up to 6 platforms. Alot of people will be content to play those games on PS360 and PS4 seems like its gonna be more popular than One meaning the multiplats will probably sell better on PS4. As of now we only know of a few games exclusive to next gen, games like The Witcher 3 and Thief havent been huge sellers in the past, The Division and The Crew look promising but its likely they sell more similar to Ghost Recon/Splinter Cell/Rainbow Six than Assassins Creed, which isnt bad but not gonna be a system seller. Metal Gear Solid 5 will almost certainly sell significantly better on PS4, same with Final Fantasy 15 and Kingdom Hearts 3 which are very likely 2015 titles. As far as exclusives the only ones that look like they could move alot of systems are TitanFall and Halo but Mario Kart and Smash Bros are just as big system sellers.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

prayformojo said:
YoyOne said:

I could use the same argument against Xbox, Iit had Halo, great 3rd party support, best online and multimedia features yet it barely outsold GC. Without a headstart and cheaper price 360 eould have been smashed by PS3 just like Xbox was by PS2. GC was able to outsell Xbox the year Mario Kart released, add Smash Bros into the mix and its possible Wii U can outsell One next year. So I would say his prediction of PS4-1st, Wii U-2nd, One-3rd is very possible.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

YoyOne said:
prayformojo said:
YoyOne said:

I disagree with you. Mario Kart and Smash Bros are game changers. At the time of N64 and GameCube, they weren't game changers, but now they are. With DS and Wii, Mario Kart has moved from 8 million players to 34 million players, while Smash Bros from 6m to 12m. These franchises gained popularity, and they are now excellent long-term system sellers in my opinion.

With Mario Kart and Smash Bros out, many of the DS/Wii players will probably be much more interested in the Wii U. If you add brand new Super Mario and/or Zelda and/or Pokémon games for the end of 2014, 13 million for the year is absolutely possible.

The reason they sold so well last gen was because so many people had Wii consoles. Those games didn't push N64's and Gamecubes.

zorg1000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

i could say the same thing about One dooming Itself to original Xbox status, people bring up GC selling poorly despite all the big first party titles but Xbox had Halo, excellent third party support, the best online and better multimedia features and barely beat GC. It doesnt need to sell like Wii in order for it to outsell One for a single year, GC was able to outsell Xbox in 2003, the year Mario Kart and Zelda released and the price was $99 vs $179. Fast forward to 2014 and Wii U is getting Mario Kart, Smash Bros and possibly Zelda plus the price is $299 vs $499.

Ur right One will have excellent 3rd party support but like I said in my last post, many will be split up by up to 6 platforms. Alot of people will be content to play those games on PS360 and PS4 seems like its gonna be more popular than One meaning the multiplats will probably sell better on PS4. As of now we only know of a few games exclusive to next gen, games like The Witcher 3 and Thief havent been huge sellers in the past, The Division and The Crew look promising but its likely they sell more similar to Ghost Recon/Splinter Cell/Rainbow Six than Assassins Creed, which isnt bad but not gonna be a system seller. Metal Gear Solid 5 will almost certainly sell significantly better on PS4, same with Final Fantasy 15 and Kingdom Hearts 3 which are very likely 2015 titles. As far as exclusives the only ones that look like they could move alot of systems are TitanFall and Halo but Mario Kart and Smash Bros are just as big system sellers.

PS3 and 360 will sell well into the holiday season, but the Xbone and the PS4 have a higher demand in all than Nintendo does because of the larger audience that they provide for. Yes, the late adopters will buy current gen consoles and some will buy Wii U's this year, but when they see what next gen has to offer at a Best Buy screen the job is already done. The commercialism will be there. Titan Fall will be a system seller for gamers, not exactly the people who don't know about it yet. So far the two best games on the PS4 and Xbox One are InFamous and TitanFall above even multiplat titles. This says a lot for both consoles on the quality. Again, MS better pay EA and Respawn to keep that game away from Sony or else Sony has the natural edge, yet again.

Microsoft needs to drop their hardware price by $100 as quickly as possible. They just dropped $7 billion for Nokia, what another little notch on daddy's credit card.