By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - BREAKING: Microsoft to purchase Nokia’s devices & services business, license patents & mapping services for €5.44 billion in cash.

kowenicki said:
wick said:
kowenicki said:
Some of the responses in here lololol. I suggest you get up to date on marketshare movements Windows phone (basically Nokia) is gaining decent share quite quickly.

Great deal for nokia handsets, great deal for microsoft and one hell of a great deal for kowenicki

I made a lot of cash today.

It's easy to significantly increase your market share by decent numbers when you start with such a small percentage.

They'll be lucky to ever get near iOS and there's not a snowflakes chance in hell they'll ever catch Android.

So?

You have to be the biggest to matter? 

I guess every company that isnt the biggest in their field should close and forget it then. 

They will get near iOS, and that will be more than adequate.

They dont need to catch Android, they are more than happy for Android to do well.... and keep paying those licnese fees to MS.  win win situation.

So?

You laughed at the attitude of previous posters in relation to Windows OS and then YOU, yes YOU brought up their growth in marketshare.

That so.

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

Around the Network

Goodbye Nokia Phones. Once such a great cellphone maker, it was synonymous with a cellphone in Poland for some time.

I had their last great effort - the Nokia N95, really good for it's time, but well, when you come up with something like N97 to counter iPhone...and so many bad smartphones and decisions afterwards. This is how you end up

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

kowenicki said:
Cthulhu said:
kowenicki said:
or putting it another way....

Microsft will be able to pay for this in fairly short time with the license fees it now receives from.... Android.

genius

Do you work for MS and you are so happy? 'cause I work for Nokia Solutions & Networks and these news are amazing for us

I bought a shit load of Nokia shares some time ago... near the record low.  Thats one of the resaons I am happy.  Nokia is accelerating its marketshare in Europe very rapidly now and it will continue to.  Lumia is becoming a very succesful story unless you have blinkers on.

Incidentally, just the patents MS has bought here are worth the purchase price.

Its a good deal for both companies. And congrats for those shares you got

kowenicki said:
Some of the responses in here lololol. I suggest you get up to date on marketshare movements Windows phone (basically Nokia) is gaining decent share quite quickly.

Great deal for nokia handsets, great deal for microsoft and one hell of a great deal for kowenicki

I made a lot of cash today.

How much did you invest?

I bet I made more with Apple
Long Put back when it was close to $600.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

kowenicki said:
NiKKoM said:
Strange deal.. MS Buys the lumia name but can't use "Nokia".. There will never be a Nokia device in the future..
Its also a cheap deal cause MS isn't buying the Nokia patents.. It only lisences it.. I can understand they want a firmer grip on Windows Phone but still to get those sales from 30 million smartphones to 50 million to break even isn't easy..

they have a ten year deal to use the Nokia name.

Partialy..... they can't use the Nokia name on Smartphones only on feature phones.. MS did aquire the Lumia name..

Under the terms of Microsoft's $7.2 billion acquisition of Nokia's devices and services division, the "Asha" and "Lumia" trademarks will transfer to Redmond, but the "Nokia" mark will remain property of the Finnish company, and may only be used on featurephones under a 10-year license agreement. That means any future Windows Phones built by the newest division of Microsoft will be Microsoft-branded — and that Nokia has said its goodbyes to a smartphone market it once helped to create.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4688888/there-will-never-be-another-nokia-smartphone

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Cthulhu said:
kowenicki said:
or putting it another way....

Microsft will be able to pay for this in fairly short time with the license fees it now receives from.... Android.

genius

Do you work for MS and you are so happy? 'cause I work for Nokia Solutions & Networks and these news are amazing for us

I bought a shit load of Nokia shares some time ago... near the record low.  Thats one of the resaons I am happy.  Nokia is accelerating its marketshare in Europe very rapidly now and it will continue to.  Lumia is becoming a very succesful story unless you have blinkers on.

Incidentally, just the patents MS has bought here are worth the purchase price.

they did not buy the patents. They licensed them afaik

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

So will Elop be the new CEO of Microsoft now that he succeeded in his job as a trojan horse at Nokia?

Go in, gut company, sell to the old employer for dirt cheap, job done.

Should be illegal.

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

Goatseye said:
Good. Now Nokia will be fully committed to Windows OS.
Now MS should just buy Platinum Games and the struggling Sega to make my dream console library come true.

+1 i still wonder why they haven't bought Sega yet

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

NobleTeam360 said:
Interesting news. I wonder if this means we'll see Microsoft branded phones instead of Nokia.

Thats exactly what it means.

trixiemafia86 said:
Goatseye said:
Good. Now Nokia will be fully committed to Windows OS.
Now MS should just buy Platinum Games and the struggling Sega to make my dream console library come true.

+1 i still wonder why they haven't bought Sega yet

Sega is working more closely with Nintendo these days. The demands of next gen will demand quite a bit of investment and Nintendo is the perfect console to support.