By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - BREAKING: Microsoft to purchase Nokia’s devices & services business, license patents & mapping services for €5.44 billion in cash.

So that was MS plan all along. Ruin Nokia as a company with their windows phones to the point that it was really cheap to buy it all.

Prediction: Now they'll replace WinPhone with Android and profit heavily!

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
superchunk said:
So that was MS plan all along. Ruin Nokia as a company with their windows phones to the point that it was really cheap to buy it all.

sigh

didnt read the thread then?

plus, they already profit heavily of android.

You can't win from superchunk anymore. His chunkiness is at full throttle to bait everyone in. 

Source: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=167218

kowenicki said:
superchunk said:

sigh

didnt read the thread then?

plus, they already profit heavily of android.

I did and I was obviously joking. Plus I know they make money on Android vendors which is why I added that prediction.

kowenicki said:

I've sold today.

I may lose out but I have made so much that it doesnt matter.  See how it goes and I may go back in.

Know when to take a profit and dont be too greedy is always the way.

Yeah, I sold at .30. Saw it start to slide.

kowenicki said:
the2real4mafol said:
A sad day, one of the biggest European companies being bought out by a American giant. If every company bought others out like Microsoft does, there would be very little competition left in the end. It's sad because Nokia always tried to do more innovations with their phones and always had the best value.

Its not THAT big (not top 100 in Fortune list) and it isnt being bought out.

Its just the handset part.

All big companies do buy up smaller companies.  It happens all the time.  It also happens the other way around, plenty of European or other companies buy up American companies.

I meant one of the more famous companies in Europe then. Everyone knew about Nokia and their mobiles, they may have gone down hill in recent years but it just seems strange that they won't even make phones anymore. I can't even think of what else Nokia sold except mobiles. 

And i know buy outs happen alot but for some reason i never imagined Nokia (well some of it) being bought out. I guess we are getting a Surface phone now then? 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network

A couple of notes from what I have found. Microsoft has only licensed the Nokia patents for 10 years, with the option to extend the license. This means that Microsoft will not be collecting any royalties from this deal.

Also, Nokia's smartphone market share is about 3% for the first half of this year.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/03/a-trojan-horse-once-again-stephen-elop-now-evp-of-devices-at-microsoft-confirmed-as-an-internal-candidate-for-ceo-slot-as-he-lays-out-plans-in-his-own-words/

Nokia is keeping their Network Services and Mapping divisions.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-03/microsoft-to-buy-nokia-s-devices-business-for-5-44-billion-euros.html