By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - BREAKING: Microsoft to purchase Nokia’s devices & services business, license patents & mapping services for €5.44 billion in cash.

kowenicki said:
Euphoria14 said:

"In Europe especially Windows Phone has seen promising growth, posting its highest ever market share of 8.3 per cent across the five major European markets – the UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain."

Out of curiosity, maybe i've been out of the loop, but since when does UK, Germany, France, Italy + Spain = Europe? I am pretty sure you are omitting a lot of countries in Europe to make your point, which in the end is still a fallacy since it does not own 8.3% of the full European market like your post claimed.

No you are trying to make a point you cant.

In the 5 biggest smartphone markets, by far, the marketshare has double to 8%.  Thats it,  its simple.

Sorry it offends you and undoes countless posts you and others will have no doubt made in the past as to how windows phone was doomed to dramatic failure, but these are the facts. 

"Trying to make a point you can't"?

Says the guy who made a claim that is absolutely false.

@bold

It is also simple that those 5 markets do not back up what you claimed. That's it, it's simple. The proper argument here is that is gained 8.3% in those (5) markets and not in "Europe" since Europe consists of much more than just those (5).

@Italics

Sorry for what? What makes you possibly think anything here offends me? I am only pointing out your fallacy. I could care less about what each smart phone OS does. You seriously need to step back a bit if you somehow got that from my post.

Let's keep this argument about which part(s) of your initial comment are true and not about me. Resorting to that is very childish Kowen.

P.S. I have always made positive posts about Windows Phones, especially the Lumia, so if you wish to make more claims in this thread please at least make (1) that holds some truth please? Thank you.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
disolitude said:
theprof00 said:
ooh boy this should send nok skyrocketing in the stocks. Rubs palms together

Err...i don't think you understand this deal.

Microsoft isn't buying Nokia. They are buying device and services part of Nokia. Microsoft stock will soar while Nokia will be lucky to remain flat.

Nokia is going to be a Maps, and network technologies company moving forward.  No more phones for them.

Well Nokia is up 38% at the moment. Obviously might not be sustainable but that is quite a jump. Microsoft is down 4% and i know that is insignificant but just point out. 

Edit: Didn't see others were on your case already. 

Pemalite said:
Purchased a Nokia Lumia 920 myself not long ago, outright, they can shove those contracts where the sun doesn't shine!
Not everyone has $500+ to plonk down on a phone though.

Great phones, highly recommend them unless you want some random obscure app or adobe flash player.

It even has a flash player app, called FlashPlayer. Works pretty good for live streams...been watching US open tennis on my lumia all week from questionable internet streams.

green_sky said:
disolitude said:
theprof00 said:

Microsoft isn't buying Nokia. They are buying device and services part of Nokia. Microsoft stock will soar while Nokia will be lucky to remain flat.

Nokia is going to be a Maps, and network technologies company moving forward.  No more phones for them.

Well Nokia is up 38% at the moment. Obviously might not be sustainable but that is quite a jump. Microsoft is down 4% and i know that is insignificant but just point out. 

Edit: Didn't see others were on your case already. 

Let's see where things are in 6 months. Nokia may be profitable at this point with their remaining businesses but they will not be in the public eye for much longer. 

disolitude said:

Let's see where things are in 6 months. Nokia may be profitable at this point with their remaining businesses but they will not be in the public eye for much longer. 

Well Kowen and prof made a killing. That's all mattered today. Who knows about 6 months from now. Better to go for ETF's for more sustainable growth. 

Around the Network
green_sky said:
disolitude said:

Well Kowen and prof made a killing. That's all mattered today. Who knows about 6 months from now. Better to go for ETF's for more sustainable growth. 

Like I get why its up...the cash buy firms up the balance sheet that was weakened by the buy of the Siemens share of NSN. The company evaluation now is between $5.50-6.00.

But this will not hold once the market starts factoring the ongoing competitive consideration...and the future state on Nokia business.

kowenicki said:
Zkuq said:
kowenicki said:
Zkuq said:

No more Nokia for me, then. Not that I've been wanting to have anything to do with them in a long time anyway, with their Windows Phone thing and all.

Mind you, Nokia had Meego, which wasn't that far from ready. And judging by the one Meego phone that came out, it's a good OS, just in some need of polishing (which would obviously have happened relatively quickly). I'd say it had a much bigger chance of becoming big, considering Windows Phone still isn't anything big. Microsoft needs to do some huge marketing for WP to grow significantly, otherwise it would have grown already.

You are out of date.  Marketshare doubling in Europe in the last 12 months to 8.3% isnt growing?  This is now just under half of iOS marketshare and It will strongly compete with iOS soon enough. In emerging markets, especially South America, it is growing even quicker.

Huh. So all the news about Windows Phone still struggling are false? Anyway, your point pretty much begs the question: Why sell the phone business to Microsoft now, when marketshare is getting better? If anything, doesn't times getting better mean there's less reason to resort to something like this?

Nokia corp didnt have the time to wait for its mobile business to become proftable.  MS has the time and the money.  This buy out has been on the acrds for a long time and was the primary reason I and many others bought Nokia shares.

Windows phone struggling?  In some markets yes, in others it is making great strides.  People are hung up on being the biggest these days.  Is Apple the biggest? no, does Windows need to be the biggest? no.  It can be a significant presence and a good money maker without being anywhere near the biggest.

lol he just compared windows phones to apples phones XD

bobgamez said:
kowenicki said:

Nokia corp didnt have the time to wait for its mobile business to become proftable.  MS has the time and the money.  This buy out has been on the acrds for a long time and was the primary reason I and many others bought Nokia shares.

Windows phone struggling?  In some markets yes, in others it is making great strides.  People are hung up on being the biggest these days.  Is Apple the biggest? no, does Windows need to be the biggest? no.  It can be a significant presence and a good money maker without being anywhere near the biggest.

lol he just compared windows phones to apples phones XD

Yeah qnd what is wrong with that? They are in the same market and fighting for the same marketshare... 

Microsoft is outselling the iPhone in 10 countries: http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57593090-75/microsoft-coo-kevin-turner-refuses-to-lose/

"Turner told the partner audience that Microsoft is "finding its rhythm in phones" and expressed pleasure that Windows Phone is now the "No. 3 phone OS on the planet" and is growing at a rate 6 times faster than the rest of the smartphone platforms. He also said that Windows Phone has more market share than Apple's iOS in 10 "big" countries. The largest carrier in Russia, OAO Mobile TeleSystems, recently dropped the iPhone"

kowenicki said:
theprof00 said:
disolitude said:
theprof00 said:

NOK premarket

Pre-Market5.58+1.68‎ (43.08%‎)
Ok.

was a strange thing for him to say.  nokia was bound to leap and microsoft slightly dip on this deal.

I have made an absolute killing on this.

Unfortunately, I'm still kinda new and don't have a lot invested. I have 100 shares @3.80, so I made ~150$ but hey better than nothing. My big piece of pie is tied up in AMD at 3.50. Should I hold on NOK? 

A sad day, one of the biggest European companies being bought out by a American giant. If every company bought others out like Microsoft does, there would be very little competition left in the end. It's sad because Nokia always tried to do more innovations with their phones and always had the best value.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018