By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bethesda/Gearbox point out why they don't support Wii U

curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

Core games that were well made and not highly limited in appeal did well on Wii; Monster Hunter Tri, COD World at War /Modern Warfare/Black Ops, Goldeneye 007, Resident Evil 4/Umbrella Chronicles/Darkside Chronicles.

The audience didn't tolerate half-assed "test" games like Dead Space Extraction, that's all.

All of the call of duties sold on the Wii dont even amount to one sold on one of the HD twins. Thats how badly COD sells on a Nintendo platform with a majorly casual community. Monster Hunter is made for that audience, think Pokemon...just more mature. Your standards for sales are low for Resident Evil, especially on a platform that sold 100 million. The original Playstation sold a little over that over the Wii in Sonys first year in gaming and the first Resident Evil sold more than all of the Resident Evil games released on the Wii.

The audience was comprised of mostly non-gamers. The true gamers were extremely minor. This is what people found out about the Wii.

Sales over a million per game, over 2 million in cases, are good (and profitable) sales, you cannot achieve such numbers a "tiny" core userbase. If the "true gamers" were really "extremely minor" they would have sold 200k a pop.

Around the Network
DevilRising said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
To the Nintendo-heads who don't believe its really Nintendo that are holding themselves back from third parties, this is what I have been saying all along. Nintendo creates their consoles without truthfully consulting third parties to see what they think. These aren't the days when third parties were under their control and didnt have a liberating entity to give them different hardware architecture whilst commanding the mass marketshare.

NO console developer made their systems while consulting any third party development studio in the past. Not Microsoft, not Sony, not Nintendo, not anyone. This is the first generation any of them have ever truly done so, and for the record, Nintendo did in fact do so at least a bit, which is why you see the console have more traditional controls, why has a MUCH better online structure, why they are really bending over backwards to work with indie developers, and why, even though it's not "on par" with the PS4, the console (still) has fairly powerful HD hardware to work with. Sure, at the end of the day, Nintendo "did their own thing", and honestly good for them. If I wanted a home console that acted like a PC, I'd just play my PC. But Nintendo worked with third parties very heavily early on. The support was there, as seen in their launch. It is simply the fact that third party support dropped off quite a bit after the months-long drought, which is a double edged sword. Some companies like EA claim that Nintendo needs to sell the system better with their own games, before they bring back strong support. And yet, the argument can also absolutely be made that the Wii U software drought wouldn't have been nearly as bad, if for example EA had a game or two that released in the first half of the year, or if Ubisoft had not gone mental and still released Rayman Legends in Feb. like they were supposed to, etc.

It really does work both ways. Yes, Nintendo does need to get their own games out there to sell their own system. But on the other hand, if third party devs would support Wii U more strongly with games like Resident Evil, Madden, WWE, Battlefield, GTA, etc., it would help the console to look all the more attractive to potential buyers. It has never been the case that third party games aren't important on Nintendo consoles. It's just that Nintendo themselves make such good games (usually) that they are always the "main attraction" on their systems. Then again, on some level you could argue that exclusives on ANY console are the main attraction. Nintendo is finally getting the "big guns" rolling out to help their console sell, and the price drop and Zelda bundle will help immensely. But more companies need to step up like Ubisoft or Warner Bros., and still offer strong support to the console, to offer a larger, more varied amount of software for potential Wii U buyers to have available to them. Like I said, it works both ways.

I would implore you to look up the history of Nintendo and then get back to me. Secondly, yes Microsoft and Sony have always had a close relationship with third party, its just that with the PS3 Kutaragi got careless and there was no one else to blame but him for the PS3's mistakes with the architecture and multiplatform games which made only exclusives play as expected (sound similar to Nintendo, doesn't it?). Same thing with Microsoft for the red ring when rushing the console. Outside of that they have had a much greater relationship with third party. If Sony hadn't talked to third party about their tech or Sega pissing off third party devs without consulting developers about their rushed launch of the Sega Saturn Sony wouldn't have been in the position they would've been in. All you have to do is listen and have deep pockets to provide. It also helps to have an identity in mind for what you will provide yourself on your console.

Yup, they're totally justified with these feelings. After they had game after game after game bomb on Nintendo platforms, they're in the best position to judge these things so we should just be quiet and go along with it.

VGChartz

The only true reason is obviously too little RAM compared to competitors: if ports didn't need major rewrites, just a few hundreds k sales could already justify them.
BTW, Ninty didn't even need 8GB: using a much lighter OS than competitors, 4GB main RAM + 1GB for graphics would have been enough to port many games unchanged and the others just downgrading graphics a bit, but still keeping them above 7th gen.
Online services can't be a reason, as on PC they are totally on the publisher's shoulders, so even the little added services offered by Ninty are more, and free online is a bonus that Ninty now shares only with PC, even more a reason why little RAM can be the only real culprit.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
The only true reason is obviusly too little RAM compared to competitors: if ports didn't need major rewrites, just a few hundreds k sales could already justify them.
BTW, Ninty didn't even need 8GB: using a much lighter OS than competitors, 4GB main RAM + 1GB for graphics would have been enough to port many games unchanged and the others just downgrading graphics a bit, but still keeping them above 7th gen.

Or they could have just dumped the stupid 33 watt power restriction and just grabbed an off the shelf 800 GFLOP AMD GPU (those go for like $80 a pop these days) and slapped some cheap-o 4GB of DDR3 RAM and probably would have gotten all the support from all developers.

Games are too expensive to make today for developers to play favorites like they did with the PS2.

Even with a pathetic 3-4 million unit headstart, that's still better than 0, all devs would support that kind of machine IMO. It would have Destiny, Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts 3, Metal Gear Solid V, etc. Devs just don't want to deal with Nintendo if it's some propietary, weird platform that isn't in step with advancing technology whatsoever. And that's fair.

The age of the console third party exclusive dying should *help* Nintendo, but they keep denying it but making consoles that are basically 1 generation behind what developers want. "Wii U2" (if it ever happens) will be the system devs wanted this gen but 5-6 years too late, just like what the Wii U is today is what devleopers wanted 5 years ago from Nintendo.

Around the Network

If someone who never made a game on a Sony platform made these comments about PS4, the people lining up to agree with them wouldn't be doing so now.

How anyone can suggest a company that has never released games on a Nintendo platform, probably never owned a dev kit etc, knows what they are talking about is beyond me other than it goes along with their hate of anything Nintendo.

You don't know the audience isn't there if you never released a game on it to see.
If you don't own a dev kit you don't know how powerful the console is because you never worked on it.

I use to play a lot of Bethesda  years ago but all they do is release the same game with a different setting and it got old fast. Borderlands was good but that is all I know of Gearbox.
Of course whether or not what they say has any real merit, many will jump on this as complete fact simply because it goes along with their personal feelings about them. They hate Nintendo and take anything they can to use against them. Its sad but some people really are that pathetic that they will believe anything as long as its negative.

A few devs have said this and then when they actually got a hold of the hardware realized how wrong they were and made comments saying the opposite.

ListerOfSmeg said:

If someone who never made a game on a Sony platform made these comments about PS4, the people lining up to agree with them wouldn't be doing so now.

How anyone can suggest a company that has never released games on a Nintendo platform, probably never owned a dev kit etc, knows what they are talking about is beyond me other than it goes along with their hate of anything Nintendo.

You don't know the audience isn't there if you never released a game on it to see.
If you don't own a dev kit you don't know how powerful the console is because you never worked on it.

I use to play a lot of Bethesda  years ago but all they do is release the same game with a different setting and it got old fast. Borderlands was good but that is all I know of Gearbox.
Of course whether or not what they say has any real merit, many will jump on this as complete fact simply because it goes along with their personal feelings about them. They hate Nintendo and take anything they can to use against them. Its sad but some people really are that pathetic that they will believe anything as long as its negative.

A few devs have said this and then when they actually got a hold of the hardware realized how wrong they were and made comments saying the opposite.

Like Activision and Ubisoft just found out, correct? In terms of next gen expectations, they are not incorrect. In terms of current gen they are assholes to not think the Wii U is more than capable. Nintendo did not consult devs about the next generation of gaming. They only sought to come after the current gen and try to act like they were the biggest guy on campus, then Sony and MS took the rug out from under them from the february to may period.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
ListerOfSmeg said:

Like Activision and Ubisoft just found out, correct? In terms of next gen expectations, they are not incorrect. In terms of current gen they are assholes to not think the Wii U is more than capable. Nintendo did not consult devs about the next generation of gaming. They only sought to come after the current gen and try to act like they were the biggest guy on campus, then Sony and MS took the rug out from under them from the february to may period.

Well since both of those companies are still making Wii U games I dont see how you can make such a claim but you have an obvious bias against them so you will say whatever you can to make them look bad even if you have to make it up to do so.

To suggest that both companies are upset with sales when they have not cancelled support is beyond me.

You must not know that in the first year of PS3 release Activision actually threatened to pull support completely because games were selling so bad. Forward 6 years and you pull up sales of games on a platform with 80 million console sold to make a console with 4 million sold look bad.

To suggest 4 million Wii U owners should be buying more games than 80 million gamers really makes no logical sense in any way. Then again you haters rarely use logic

ListerOfSmeg said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
ListerOfSmeg said:

Well since both of those companies are still making Wii U games I dont see how you can make such a claim but you have an obvious bias against them so you will say whatever you can to make them look bad even if you have to make it up to do so.

To suggest that both companies are upset with sales when they have not cancelled support is beyond me.

You must not know that in the first year of PS3 release Activision actually threatened to pull support completely because games were selling so bad. Forward 6 years and you pull up sales of games on a platform with 80 million console sold to make a console with 4 million sold look bad.

To suggest 4 million Wii U owners should be buying more games than 80 million gamers really makes no logical sense in any way. Then again you haters rarely use logic

Yeah...I noticed you didnt read the statements that Ubisoft and Activision are not happy with the profitability of the Wii U. If you ask me they should've ignored the Wii U until it amassed a larger crowd. The Wii had 100 million units and couldn't even sell three million copies of COD.

DevilRising said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
To the Nintendo-heads who don't believe its really Nintendo that are holding themselves back from third parties, this is what I have been saying all along. Nintendo creates their consoles without truthfully consulting third parties to see what they think. These aren't the days when third parties were under their control and didnt have a liberating entity to give them different hardware architecture whilst commanding the mass marketshare.

NO console developer made their systems while consulting any third party development studio in the past. Not Microsoft, not Sony, not Nintendo, not anyone. This is the first generation any of them have ever truly done so, and for the record, Nintendo did in fact do so at least a bit, which is why you see the console have more traditional controls, why has a MUCH better online structure, why they are really bending over backwards to work with indie developers, and why, even though it's not "on par" with the PS4, the console (still) has fairly powerful HD hardware to work with. Sure, at the end of the day, Nintendo "did their own thing", and honestly good for them. If I wanted a home console that acted like a PC, I'd just play my PC. But Nintendo worked with third parties very heavily early on. The support was there, as seen in their launch. It is simply the fact that third party support dropped off quite a bit after the months-long drought, which is a double edged sword. Some companies like EA claim that Nintendo needs to sell the system better with their own games, before they bring back strong support. And yet, the argument can also absolutely be made that the Wii U software drought wouldn't have been nearly as bad, if for example EA had a game or two that released in the first half of the year, or if Ubisoft had not gone mental and still released Rayman Legends in Feb. like they were supposed to, etc.

It really does work both ways. Yes, Nintendo does need to get their own games out there to sell their own system. But on the other hand, if third party devs would support Wii U more strongly with games like Resident Evil, Madden, WWE, Battlefield, GTA, etc., it would help the console to look all the more attractive to potential buyers. It has never been the case that third party games aren't important on Nintendo consoles. It's just that Nintendo themselves make such good games (usually) that they are always the "main attraction" on their systems. Then again, on some level you could argue that exclusives on ANY console are the main attraction. Nintendo is finally getting the "big guns" rolling out to help their console sell, and the price drop and Zelda bundle will help immensely. But more companies need to step up like Ubisoft or Warner Bros., and still offer strong support to the console, to offer a larger, more varied amount of software for potential Wii U buyers to have available to them. Like I said, it works both ways.

Didn't Microsoft consult with some 3rd parties on the Xbox 360? I'm referring to Epic specifically since it was because of Epic they switched the 256 RAM to 512.