By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bethesda/Gearbox point out why they don't support Wii U

InsaneZucchini said:
outlawauron said:
sethnintendo said:
outlawauron said:
Nem said:
The online on Nintendo is just as good as the others. The onlie persistant worlds they are trying to do on ps4/x1 will flop hard. There arent enough players to populate all those games.

Nem, you have multiple consoles, how can you believe this? Online is the biggest separator from Nintendo and Sony/MS (and I kinda struggle to put Sony at the same level of MS).

I fail to see anything special that Microsoft or Sony has for online (especially considering you have to pay for it, PSN+ free games is about the only special thing that I see of any value).  You could once make the case against Nintendo when they had FC for every single game (DS/Wii).  That was the main complaint against their online.  What the fuck do you have to complain against it now?

There are dozens of things to complain, but the biggest offender is the lack of centralized Nintendo online system and identity. Everything should be tied together (Wii, Wii U, 3DS, and DS), but it somehow isn't. Once that is in place, then you can worry about more minor things like that awful shop setups and lack of content overall (day one digital for all games would be a nice start).

While this is inconvenient it's only a possible detriment to those who would otherwise  make purchases on the eShop choose not to.  It also has no effect on the quality of online play.  However rumor is that they are working on rectifying this issue, likely along with the addition where you can purchase games for your Wii U and 3DS from a PC or cell phone, so hopefully that will be fixed soon.

oniyide said:
outlawauron said:
Nem said:
The online on Nintendo is just as good as the others. The onlie persistant worlds they are trying to do on ps4/x1 will flop hard. There arent enough players to populate all those games.

Nem, you have multiple consoles, how can you believe this? Online is the biggest separator from Nintendo and Sony/MS (and I kinda struggle to put Sony at the same level of MS).

anyone who would say this cant be serious. Ninty just released Wii U less than a year ago. they just NOW caught up to XBL and PSN, nothing to be proud of being on par 5 years later is pathetic, and PS4 and xbone are right around the corner and theyll leave them behind again

What is the point of this comment?  Given the state of online gaming provided by the Wii there has been massive growth with the Wii U.  Additionally, the state of the Xbox 360's and the PS3's interface are not the same as they were at launch, or as they were 5 years ago.  They've both gone through SEVERAL updates.  As far as I can recall the PS Store for the PS3 has gone through an entire redesign within the last year or two and the Xbox 360's primary interface has gone through multiple updates with major changes happening at least twice if not three or more times.  So the argument that these systems are so much older as they came out so long ago is irrelvant.  They're not the same systems they were back then as far as software and firmware are concerned.

thats my point, sony and MS grew their online over the years. Ninty didnt do crap with WIiware in that time frame AND they needed to put out a whole NEW system that finally caught up to the other two and its still doesnt have a unified service so it still not on par with XBL and PSN. 

Around the Network

Oh dear, I'm really going to miss masterpieces like Duke Nukem Forever, Aliens: Colonial Marines, and Glitchrim...

outlawauron said:
Nem said:

They both have shops and they both have online play that works. The only visible difference i see are the persistant online worlds that Sony, Microsoft and others are touting for the PS4 and X1. I think those will die out pretty fast and become unplayable because of the lack of population. So in the end i dont see that as beeing that big of a difference.

You can point out that Sony makes better online sales then the other two. I will agree to that. I havent felt any noticeable difference in online play quality across all my systems. Oh and a common handle is not something i care about. It only makes sense for achievement hunters.

oniyide said:

InsaneZucchini said:

outlawauron said:

sethnintendo said:

outlawauron said:

Nem said:

I fail to see anything special that Microsoft or Sony has for online (especially considering you have to pay for it, PSN+ free games is about the only special thing that I see of any value).  You could once make the case against Nintendo when they had FC for every single game (DS/Wii).  That was the main complaint against their online.  What the fuck do you have to complain against it now?

There are dozens of things to complain, but the biggest offender is the lack of centralized Nintendo online system and identity. Everything should be tied together (Wii, Wii U, 3DS, and DS), but it somehow isn't. Once that is in place, then you can worry about more minor things like that awful shop setups and lack of content overall (day one digital for all games would be a nice start).

While this is inconvenient it's only a possible detriment to those who would otherwise  make purchases on the eShop choose not to.  It also has no effect on the quality of online play.  However rumor is that they are working on rectifying this issue, likely along with the addition where you can purchase games for your Wii U and 3DS from a PC or cell phone, so hopefully that will be fixed soon.

oniyide said:

outlawauron said:

Nem said:

anyone who would say this cant be serious. Ninty just released Wii U less than a year ago. they just NOW caught up to XBL and PSN, nothing to be proud of being on par 5 years later is pathetic, and PS4 and xbone are right around the corner and theyll leave them behind again

What is the point of this comment?  Given the state of online gaming provided by the Wii there has been massive growth with the Wii U.  Additionally, the state of the Xbox 360's and the PS3's interface are not the same as they were at launch, or as they were 5 years ago.  They've both gone through SEVERAL updates.  As far as I can recall the PS Store for the PS3 has gone through an entire redesign within the last year or two and the Xbox 360's primary interface has gone through multiple updates with major changes happening at least twice if not three or more times.  So the argument that these systems are so much older as they came out so long ago is irrelvant.  They're not the same systems they were back then as far as software and firmware are concerned.

thats my point, sony and MS grew their online over the years. Ninty didnt do crap with WIiware in that time frame AND they needed to put out a whole NEW system that finally caught up to the other two and its still doesnt have a unified service so it still not on par with XBL and PSN. 

Neither Sony nor MS started off with the perfect online system, they've grown over time and the same will happen with Wii U. Given its current state and its previous one though it's doing quite well. It jumped leaps and bounds over its last incarnation and it's already rumored that they'll fix the unified service "issue" with the addition of the service they announced where you would be able to purchase games for your Wii U and 3DS from a PC or cell phone. If that rumor proves true, which I hope it does, that's one of the most significant complaints taken care of. But I don't imagine most people ever have to transfer accounts outside of their system breaking and Microsoft HAD to make their accounts transferable. The systems failure rate, like with RROD, made this a real concern. I've gone through at least three Xbox 360's, sent one in twice, and two PS3's but I've only ever needed one Wii. It still works just fine. Nintendo makes more reliable hardware, so I don't imagine it'd have been a major concern..

Nem said:
outlawauron said:
Nem said:

They both have shops and they both have online play that works. The only visible difference i see are the persistant online worlds that Sony, Microsoft and others are touting for the PS4 and X1. I think those will die out pretty fast and become unplayable because of the lack of population. So in the end i dont see that as beeing that big of a difference.

You can point out that Sony makes better online sales then the other two. I will agree to that. I havent felt any noticeable difference in online play quality across all my systems. Oh and a common handle is not something i care about. It only makes sense for achievement hunters.

There's far more to an online platform than just its shop (which is far worse than others in setup and it's still frustrating that they charge tax), and the quality of online play which varies game by game (whether or not it has dedicated servers).

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

fuck off gearbox - i am never going to buy a game from you again. I was one of the idiots that pre-ordered aliens for the Wii U. Pitchford promised the definitive experience and all we got is a cancelled game

"Audience" or user base demographics more than anything are determining Wii U developer support.

Granted, it's still a bit early to do a legit breakdown of the Wii U user base despite coming up on its second year of availability, because sales simply haven't taken off in any significant manner. But, I'm inclined to believe that the Wii U has probably replaced more Wiis than XB360s or PS3s and that the heart of the Wii U early adopters are the Nintendo core audience.

About the only consumers I can think of who would choose to buy the Wii U version of a multi platform game over any other would be those who only own the Wii U, or those who just bought one and understandably want to play something on their brand new console.

The only problem with the latter is that those who bought a Wii U early, probably have sights on a new XB1 or PS4 which means those multi platform games will be purchased for those systems instead.

As for the online play, the only thing that really hindered online play for the Wii were the friend codes and the general background nature of network functions which have changed with the Wii U. I won't even comment on network infrastructure where the problems are usually related to more traffic than the network can handle which is one problem the Wii U does not have.

Hardware is a bit of a given and it will plague the Wii U from the standpoint that straightforward ports will not be so straightforward due to the fairly significant difference in memory and processing resources.

Easy ports are going to be out for more resource intensive games and when paired with the Nintendo audience factor, said ports are a much harder sell, particularly when compounded by the small user base that I don't see magically changing for the better after the PS4 and XB1 debut.

Bethesda has never shown much love for Nintendo. So not a real surprise.

Gearbox has been all over the place on it (can't provide links since I am posting from my iPad). So can't really trust what they are saying,

The specs are different and the audience is somewhere different.  (But the specs are not all tht diffeerent than current systems for which these companies currently develop and continue to develop). The on-line is not as much of an issue as they are making it out to be. And my guess is that companies that don't do business with Ninteondo probably were not consulted or courted as much.

Everything from hubris to the profit motive at play.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

It's just the same bullshit excuses as they always give.

I LOVE ICELAND!

To the Nintendo-heads who don't believe its really Nintendo that are holding themselves back from third parties, this is what I have been saying all along. Nintendo creates their consoles without truthfully consulting third parties to see what they think. These aren't the days when third parties were under their control and didnt have a liberating entity to give them different hardware architecture whilst commanding the mass marketshare.