By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Xbox One is worth $100 more than PlayStation 4

Tagged games:

Problem is, it is only worth more if you are interested in Kinect. Just like the PS3 was worth more than the 360 if you were interested in Blu-Ray or free online gaming. The problem is, not everybody wanted Blu-Ray and not everybody wants Kinect. The Xbox One package with Kinect might be more worth than the PS4 on paper, but it was the same case with the PS3 and we saw how that turned out. Now keep in mind that PlayStation is a much stronger brand than Xbox. So I think Xbox One will struggle quite heavily, especially since it's releasing at the same time as the competition, which also happens to have all the hype right now.

Sure, the Xbox One is far from done, but when it comes just to launch, Microsoft just dropped the ball. There's no way they will be able to beat Sony this year.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network

Well, the price difference is only $50 in Australia compared to the PS4, to me it's "worth it" with the Kinect, $50 isn't exactly allot of money in the end.

If I was worried about graphics... Well. *Looks at sig*

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Well, the price difference is only $50 in Australia compared to the PS4, to me it's "worth it" with the Kinect, $50 isn't exactly allot of money in the end.

If I was worried about graphics... Well. *Looks at sig*

Yeah it is a strange one that it is only 50 dollars less down here!! I found that interesting.....Maybe Australia is a market they are wanting to do better in?? Hopefully they don't give us a free AFL game with every purchase, not that I don't want it...More because they are usually not that great a game lol. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
spemanig said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
spemanig said:
Sony said the same thing with the PS3. No profit until 2011. I do think that the XBO is worth $100 more than the PS4; I just don't think that the mass market will care.

I mean they will eventually, and I think the XBO will eventually overtake the PS4, but saying that the XBO will have a rough start is beyond an understatement.

Microsoft will profit off of the Xbox One much faster than Sony profited off of the PS3. By rights the PS3 should've been  two to three hundred dollars more during launch, per console. Thats how deep Sony bled to save Blu Ray and make the format profitable.

I agree. I think that the XBO and Microsoft are in a much better position than the PS3 was, but I still think they will have rocky treck early on. Like I said though, I have full confidence that the XBO will eventually overtake the PS4 in sales. There's no doubt in my mind. Xbox has a far more dedicated fanbase and once the price drops sometime next year or in 2015, it will look like a more equal platform with more desirable exclusives and features to the mass market. Sony doesn't have that mass market appeal anymore. It hasn't since the PSP. If the XBO was $400, you'd see a completely different VGC right now, and that will come to light in the coming years. PS4 is only "winning" because the XBO is losing.

I have no doubt that Microsoft will profit, but giving Sony the lead in the beginning (which is basically because of launching head to head or behind them) gives the word of mouth and product awareness to Sony. Microsoft will not maintain the same numbers in America. They can only do it with a years head start. Thats how they laid their foundation even though America is where the majority of their fanbase are. Sony has beaten them in America. The majority of Microsoft's fanbase that split off came from Sonys former marketshare and with multiplats, new exclusives IP's and a better price they can easily take that away.

I think you underestimate brand loyalty. The 360 needed to release a year early. The original Xbox only had 20 million sales and no prior cosoles to build off of. The Xbox One has an extremely dedicated 80 million. Hasn't beaten them in America. That majority shows just how feeble the Sony brand loyalty is. No one in the mass market cares about most Sony exclusives. Most people have never heard of Uncharted, Sony's second most successful franchise, which isn't saying much. No one in the mass market knows what Infamous is. They don't know what Killzone is. They don't know what LBP is. But they know Halo, and Gears of War, and Kinect Adventures. Their fans are attached to the most successful multiplatform franchise of the generation, Call of Duty. Now they have Titanfall. If you think that doesn't matter, I can't help you. And they can't easily take anything away. Sony had GTA as a Sony exclusive before the PS3. That will never happen again. That's why half their install base defected to the 360. Now FFXV and KH3 aren't exclusive. The Xbox fanbase isn't going anywhere.

spemanig said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
spemanig said:

I have no doubt that Microsoft will profit, but giving Sony the lead in the beginning (which is basically because of launching head to head or behind them) gives the word of mouth and product awareness to Sony. Microsoft will not maintain the same numbers in America. They can only do it with a years head start. Thats how they laid their foundation even though America is where the majority of their fanbase are. Sony has beaten them in America. The majority of Microsoft's fanbase that split off came from Sonys former marketshare and with multiplats, new exclusives IP's and a better price they can easily take that away.

I think you underestimate brand loyalty. The 360 needed to release a year early. The original Xbox only had 20 million sales and no prior cosoles to build off of. The Xbox One has an extremely dedicated 80 million. Hasn't beaten them in America. That majority shows just how feeble the Sony brand loyalty is. No one in the mass market cares about most Sony exclusives. Most people have never heard of Uncharted, Sony's second most successful franchise, which isn't saying much. No one in the mass market knows what Infamous is. They don't know what Killzone is. They don't know what LBP is. But they know Halo, and Gears of War, and Kinect Adventures. Their fans are attached to the most successful multiplatform franchise of the generation, Call of Duty. Now they have Titanfall. If you think that doesn't matter, I can't help you. And they can't easily take anything away. Sony had GTA as a Sony exclusive before the PS3. That will never happen again. That's why half their install base defected to the 360. Now FFXV and KH3 aren't exclusive. The Xbox fanbase isn't going anywhere.

Brand loyalty.....something Microsoft has the least of compared to Sony and Nintendo. Loyalty, and brand awareness is why they are paying EA through the teeth for IP advantages in Europe at launch and after and loyalty in America, which is why they are paying the NFL to make them the official console of the NFL? Everyone knows that Madden at its height sold better on a Sony platform. I wish I could say I agreed, but history has proven otherwise even with third party titles. With Microsofts first and second party from last gen and the gen before, its easy to see why they gained the first generation sales that they did.

Around the Network

So this is acceptable to say but meh is crossing the line?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I had the Xbox, PS2, DC and GC and let me tell you, the Xbox was hands down THE best console hardware wise in almost every possible way.

And it got smoked.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
spemanig said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
spemanig said:

Brand loyalty.....something Microsoft has the least of compared to Sony and Nintendo. Loyalty, and brand awareness is why they are paying EA through the teeth for IP advantages in Europe at launch and after. I wish I could say I agreed, but history has proven otherwise. With Microsofts first and second party from last gen and the gen before, its easy to see why they gained the first generation sales that they did.

Sony doesn't have Microsoft's brand loyalty. 80 million people defected from the PS2 to the 360. Meanwhile, you can say whatever you want about how the 360 got it's brand loyalty, but the fact is that those reason's are transfering from generation to generation. That isn't happening for the PS4. 360 fans have a reason not to defect. PS2 owners didn't. I think the PS4's brand loyalty will be stronger than the PS2 to the PS3's was, but it won't be enough to convert those already defected to the 360, and it won't be as strong as the Microsoft's is. I think the the Wii U will sell the most, the XBO will come in second near the early halfway point, and the PS4 will be a close third, but I think the PS4 will be considered the most "gamer" console, with the XBO second, and the Wii U a not as distant as the Wii third.

spemanig said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Brand loyalty.....something Microsoft has the least of compared to Sony and Nintendo. Loyalty, and brand awareness is why they are paying EA through the teeth for IP advantages in Europe at launch and after. I wish I could say I agreed, but history has proven otherwise. With Microsofts first and second party from last gen and the gen before, its easy to see why they gained the first generation sales that they did.

Sony doesn't have Microsoft's brand loyalty. 80 million people defected from the PS2 to the 360. Meanwhile, you can say whatever you want about how the 360 got it's brand loyalty, but the fact is that those reason's are transfering from generation to generation. That isn't happening for the PS4. 360 fans have a reason not to defect. PS2 owners didn't. I think the PS4's brand loyalty will be stronger than the PS2 to the PS3's was, but it won't be enough to convert those already defected to the 360, and it won't be as strong as the Microsoft's is. I think the the Wii U will sell the most, the XBO will come in second near the early halfway point, and the PS4 will be a close third, but I think the PS4 will be considered the most "gamer" console, with the XBO second, and the Wii U a not as distant as the Wii third.

80 million people didn't defect, more like 55-60 million by the end of the generation. Remember Microsoft only had a 25 million base, but everything revolved around Halo which at the most sold what 8 million? Everything else was mostly third party. Sonys sales have always been spread out amongst various genres. If you asked the majority of their fanbase what they played opposed to Microsoft, you would get many answers unlike Microsoft who markets to a crowd that is a sure thing to attain. Microsoft focuses hard on who shells out the most money and only lays their attention upon them. With Sony it never mattered, which is why their diverse audience would be the most confusing of all the companies to crack outside of GT5 and the annualized games. PS4 will have greater brand loyalty thanks to Sonys showing with the PS3 exclusives, creating more IP's than Nintendo and Microsoft. The Wii U will sell the least and if Microsoft sells even at parity with Sony in America Sony will reach one hundred million consoles by the end of the generation. This generation the market will shrink, because the Wii U hasn't amassed the casuals....remember that. Microsoft is betting greatly on the Kinect 2. Twas a smarter decision to force it upon you than to give you the freedom to choose like Sony has been doing for two generations previously.

The console sales will determine the success and failure of the XBox One. Consumers will decide with their wallets whether to buy XBox One, PS4 or Wii U. In two years time we will have a clear picture on deciding the leader in the 8th generation console sales wars.