By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Xbox One is worth $100 more than PlayStation 4

Tagged games:

richardhutnik said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DarthVolod said:

Allard already responded to this, but yeah, the point stands. Dropping Kinect and lowering the price to be at par with Sony if not lower (assuming it really costs $150 or so) would be far from a risk. Profitability is kind of being left to chance here ... they are hoping that people will see value in Kinect 2 and, through word of mouth and other means, people will make the jump to Xbox One with the $100 price difference being justified in no small part by Kinect 2.

Personally, I think it is a bad idea, and it is a risk I would not take if I was in MS's position. You and I are actually on the same page with this ... I recall you questioning the value of the Kinect in the past, or am I wrong?

Yep, I've been calling bullshit on Microsoft for the longest about the Kinect being "needed" for the XboxOne to run and I accused them of force bundling the Kinect. I turned out to be right. They can keep it in there, its not like I am buying the Xbox Just yet (LOL). I cannot blame them for doing it, but I am just that type of person who calls a company on their bullshit. Its not going to help their chances of winning in America at all, because people will look at two things lineup and price if they have no brand loyalty.

A feature you want integrated into games on your system ends up resulting in what is used to make the feature so needed.  Same with Microsofty trying to push the whole cloud computing and always on.  They do want a system that is totally integrated with the Internet, and also happens to totally integrate with your motion, movement, voice, and so on.  Of course, when early adopter don't find it cool, and rebel, you have problems on your hand.  And that is where Microsoft is with the ONE at this point.  You do have the faithful partisans who will end up arguing everything Microsoft does is golden and defend it on forums like this, but they aren't necessarily the norm.

Everyone has something they offer to the gaming industry. Sony has always upped the formats, MS has helped with the online and online based software elements. It just might work. We'll see how the dedicated servers work with the cloud computing goes. I dont think the Kinect will be integrated into everygame. Does every Sony game use six axis? Not necessarily. Microsoft wants to make sure the tech gets used but Kinect in its state is only a supporting device and not enough of one to create an experience. I wish I could say it was but cloud computing has more potential to smooth out the online experience than even it does and thats not even proven yet.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
richardhutnik said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DarthVolod said:

Allard already responded to this, but yeah, the point stands. Dropping Kinect and lowering the price to be at par with Sony if not lower (assuming it really costs $150 or so) would be far from a risk. Profitability is kind of being left to chance here ... they are hoping that people will see value in Kinect 2 and, through word of mouth and other means, people will make the jump to Xbox One with the $100 price difference being justified in no small part by Kinect 2.

Personally, I think it is a bad idea, and it is a risk I would not take if I was in MS's position. You and I are actually on the same page with this ... I recall you questioning the value of the Kinect in the past, or am I wrong?

Yep, I've been calling bullshit on Microsoft for the longest about the Kinect being "needed" for the XboxOne to run and I accused them of force bundling the Kinect. I turned out to be right. They can keep it in there, its not like I am buying the Xbox Just yet (LOL). I cannot blame them for doing it, but I am just that type of person who calls a company on their bullshit. Its not going to help their chances of winning in America at all, because people will look at two things lineup and price if they have no brand loyalty.

A feature you want integrated into games on your system ends up resulting in what is used to make the feature so needed.  Same with Microsoft trying to push the whole cloud computing and always on.  They do want a system that is totally integrated with the Internet, and also happens to totally integrate with your motion, movement, voice, and so on.  Of course, when early adopter don't find it cool, and rebel, you have problems on your hand.  And that is where Microsoft is with the ONE at this point.  You do have the faithful partisans who will end up arguing everything Microsoft does is golden and defend it on forums like this, but they aren't necessarily the norm.

Everyone has something they offer to the gaming industry. Sony has always upped the formats, MS has helped with the online and online based software elements. It just might work. We'll see how the dedicated servers work with the cloud computing goes. I dont think the Kinect will be integrated into everygame. Does every Sony game use six axis? Not necessarily. Microsoft wants to make sure the tech gets used but Kinect in its state is only a supporting device and not enough of one to create an experience. I wish I could say it was but cloud computing has more potential to smooth out the online experience than even it does and thats not even proven yet.

What I should of also added to integrated with the system, is that the integration is supposed to be a featurer differentiator in order to generate sales.

richardhutnik said:
CityOfNoobs said:
Microsoft will Win the US , with Microsofts marketing and NFL promos there is little doubt about that. It will take some time as intitally it seems Sony is gonna take a worldwide lead, it will keep it everywhere but the US where microsoft will slowly catch up and eventually dominate again. I am less sure what the Wii U will do, it will be an interesting holiday for sure.

So, someone into NFL football is going to drop $500 for a ONE, and pay for Gold on top of it?  Why wouldn't they just sign up for NFL Season Ticket and be done with it?  Do you see sports bars making the ONE a must-have device?  If not, and they are in business to cater to NFL fans, why is the average NFL fan going to get a ONE?

Obviously someone who has no interest in games will still not purchase one, but the NFL is widely popular in America, and a good amount of people are both gamers and  American Football fans. The power of Marketing is strong, and the amount of hype that is possible by revealing trailers for exclusive games during the NFL programing is simply staggering. 

Who is John Galt?

3DS Friend Code : 2535-4338-9000 

AMD FX 8150 , 8 GB DDR3 Kingston Memory,  EVGA GTX 560 TI 2 GB superclocked, Samsung 256 GB SSD

richardhutnik said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
richardhutnik said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DarthVolod said:

A feature you want integrated into games on your system ends up resulting in what is used to make the feature so needed.  Same with Microsoft trying to push the whole cloud computing and always on.  They do want a system that is totally integrated with the Internet, and also happens to totally integrate with your motion, movement, voice, and so on.  Of course, when early adopter don't find it cool, and rebel, you have problems on your hand.  And that is where Microsoft is with the ONE at this point.  You do have the faithful partisans who will end up arguing everything Microsoft does is golden and defend it on forums like this, but they aren't necessarily the norm.

What I should of also added to integrated with the system, is that the integration is supposed to be a featurer differentiator in order to generate sales.

Its going to stifle sales, especially in America. Watch. The majority of people who buy an Xbox One will not be thinking about cloud computing. Only the core will really know about it and then it will be an inside thing. If it succeeds the next Sony console will be full on cloud computing instead of just partially doing things. I think Sony got it right with Gaikai because people who missed out on the last consoles can stream the game properly if they have decent internet.

CityOfNoobs said:
richardhutnik said:
CityOfNoobs said:
Microsoft will Win the US , with Microsofts marketing and NFL promos there is little doubt about that. It will take some time as intitally it seems Sony is gonna take a worldwide lead, it will keep it everywhere but the US where microsoft will slowly catch up and eventually dominate again. I am less sure what the Wii U will do, it will be an interesting holiday for sure.

So, someone into NFL football is going to drop $500 for a ONE, and pay for Gold on top of it?  Why wouldn't they just sign up for NFL Season Ticket and be done with it?  Do you see sports bars making the ONE a must-have device?  If not, and they are in business to cater to NFL fans, why is the average NFL fan going to get a ONE?

Obviously someone who has no interest in games will still not purchase one, but the NFL is widely popular in America, and a good amount of people are both gamers and  American Football fans. The power of Marketing is strong, and the amount of hype that is possible by revealing trailers for exclusive games during the NFL programing is simply staggering. 

How heavily was the movie The Lone Ranger marketed?  And how much more marketing would of been required to get Alan Wake to be able to be profitable enough to get a sequel?  

I swear, marketing is thrown around like it is some sort of magic bullet on videogame sites like this.  Playstation stuff doesn't end up beat Halo, so marketing gets blamed.

Question:  How many people into the NFL and are gamers don't know about the XBOX ONE and its exclusives?  I don't see the advertising to have as huge of an impact as you seem to think it would.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
CityOfNoobs said:
richardhutnik said:
CityOfNoobs said:

How heavily was the movie The Lone Ranger marketed?  And how much more marketing would of been required to get Alan Wake to be able to be profitable enough to get a sequel?  

I swear, marketing is thrown around like it is some sort of magic bullet on videogame sites like this.  Playstation stuff doesn't end up beat Halo, so marketing gets blamed.

Question:  How many people into the NFL and are gamers don't know about the XBOX ONE and its exclusives?  I don't see the advertising to have as huge of an impact as you seem to think it would.

Well we will see than will we not? Just giving my views, and you seem to take some offence. I still have no doubt the microsoft wil eventually win the US, if you do not feel the same way that is fine. 

Who is John Galt?

3DS Friend Code : 2535-4338-9000 

AMD FX 8150 , 8 GB DDR3 Kingston Memory,  EVGA GTX 560 TI 2 GB superclocked, Samsung 256 GB SSD

Personally i don't see the 100 dollar difference as that big of a deal, but many I've talked to do so...

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

Zekkyou said:
Well sure, the console and Kinect total cost is more than the PS4, but that doesn't mean it's worth to consumers is more. The fact that more people seem to not want kinect than do, would suggest the value that people hold the kinect to is pretty low.

the people who does not care about kinect are we the internet vocals, guess what, we are like 1% of the total market.

34 years playing games.

Xone should be cheaper than PS4 or at most the same price. Should have released Kinect-less at 349.99.

All MS is doing is forcing people interested in Xbox games like Titanfall, Ryse, and Quantum Break to also buy a Kinect. I think over 2/3rds of 360 owners had no interest in Kinect, not sure why MS is forcing all those people to buy one if they want to stick with xbox.

I like Xones games better but I can't stand MSs business practices and this Kinect focus. Doesn't really matter. 99% of my favourite games are multiplats anyways so PS4 all the way. Plus Sony has some amazing franchises anyways.