By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is The 2DS Nintendo's Call for Help?

Tagged games:

BluGamer23 said:
WTF..

... thats all I have

Are you saying that out of amazement, or did you just look at the picture of the 2DS in my OP?

Or even both?

Around the Network

Why is this a big deal? Nintendo found a way to make producing the 3DS cheaper, charge less for it, and make more money off of it, so they did.

They're took out the 3D to make it cheaper. They took out the fold to make it cheaper. It's called a 2DS because that's the obvious thing to name it. The name is also a marketing tool. It's called the 2DS so anal parents can be less anal. It just happened to also be one of the features that didn't need to be there. It looks like a tablet. Kids like tablets. Moms like cheap things. Everybody wins.

In other words, they figured out a way to make more money, so they're doing it. This has nothing to do with being creative. It has to do with being a company.

Also, it effectively just killed the Vita:

Vita: I'm so glad I finally got a price cut! :) Now my sales can finally pick up!

Nintendo: Lets release a new 2DS for $70 cheaper than the Vita on the same day as Pokemon X and Y, the most powerful handheld franchise in the world, because WHY THE FUCK NOT?

Vita: FUUUUUUUUUU-!!!!!

People complain about 3D and price. Nintendo makes a cheap 2D version of the handheld. Still complains.

Yeah, makes sense.

Now, if the design wasn't so ugly, I'm not sure which argument those guys would come with, but I'm pretty sure they would still find something to complain.

I've hear it all over the years.

N64-
Before: "Look at that controller. It's crazy! Am I supposed to have three hands to play that thing?"

After: "Hmm. That may be the best controller, ever.."

Gamecube-
Before: "Look at that controller. It's crazy! It looks like a robot threw up on a boomerang!"

After: "Hmm. That may be the best controller, ever"

Wii-
Before: "Look at that controller. It's crazy! It's a TV remote with a breast pump attached."

After: "Hmm. I totally get it, now. It was awesome!"

DS-
Before: "Look at that thing. It's crazy! How am I supposed to look at two screens at once!?"

After: "That may be the best console of all time!"

3DS-
Before: "Look at that thing. It's crazy! It doesn't even have a second analog stick!"

After: "Okay. I have to admit it's awesome. It's the best console on the market!"

Circle Pad Pro-
Before: "Look at that thing. It's an eyesore. It kills all portability!"

After: "Wow. This thing feels great!"

Virtual Boy-
Before: "Look at that thing! It will never take off. That's a portable console?

After: "Well, nobody actually died from using it, right?"

Anyway, you get the idea. Time after time, Nintendo has released a device that makes us say WTF!? and time after time, it's been awesome.

0815user said:
3D was a failure to begin with. with the 2DS the practically admit that. also the show one more time that the prefere to play it safe with countless cheap interations of already existing hardware and games instead of trying to create something new software wise. nintendos motto pretty much is: "get them as young as posssible because the younger they are the easier to entertain they are."

This is probably the worst post I have ever read and I actually feel like I've de-volved somewhat just reading it.

Please read my post at the top of this thread. Also, considering Nintendo titles are the best selling of all time (usually all from one console) and Wii had by far the broadest userbase of any console, excluding the DS, in terms of age... your kiddie summation is full of crap.

Around the Network
attaboy said:

N64-
Before: "Look at that controller. It's crazy! Am I supposed to have three hands to play that thing?"

Gamecube-
Before: "Look at that controller. It's crazy! It looks like a robot threw up on a boomerang!"

Wii-
Before: "Look at that controller. It's crazy! It's a TV remote with a breast pump attached."

DS-
Before: "Look at that thing. It's crazy! How am I supposed to look at two screens at once!?"

3DS-
Before: "Look at that thing. It's crazy! It doesn't even have a second analog stick!"

After: "Okay. I have to admit it's awesome. It's the best console on the market!"

Circle Pad Pro-

Virtual Boy-

Anyway, you get the idea. Time after time, Nintendo has released a device that makes us say WTF!? and time after time, it's been awesome.

Most of your post made since until the Virtual Boy part.

superchunk said:
no. Its Nintendo's realization that in NA there are a significant number of parents who don't want to buy a 3DS due to its 3D tech and they want to capture those sales when their biggest game, Pokemon, releases.

That, and due to its pricepoint.  It's really a genius move when you think about it, considering the audience they're targeting with 2DS: no 'harmful' 3D, a sturdier system that won't easily break (compared to the clamshell 3DS), and cheaper to boot. Would seem completely and utterly appealing to parents looking to buy their kids a gaming device, I'd think. I'm predicting it will sell very, very well.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

attaboy said:

N64-

Gamecube-

Wii-

DS-

3DS-

Circle Pad Pro-

Virtual Boy-

So Iin 5 years will the Wii U gamepad be considered amazing

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

NintendoPie said:
attaboy said:

N64-

Gamecube-

Wii-

DS-

3DS-

Circle Pad Pro-

Virtual Boy-

Most of your post made since until the Virtual Boy part.

If I didn't say it, somebody else would have!  At least the bulky looking Wii U controller turned out to be fantastic, right?  (The answer is "Yes", btw)

Cheebee said:
superchunk said:
no. Its Nintendo's realization that in NA there are a significant number of parents who don't want to buy a 3DS due to its 3D tech and they want to capture those sales when their biggest game, Pokemon, releases.

That, and due to its pricepoint.  It's really a genius move when you think about it, considering the audience they're targeting with 2DS: no 'harmful' 3D, a sturdier system that won't easily break (compared to the clamshell 3DS), and cheaper to boot. Would seem completely and utterly appealing to parents looking to buy their kids a gaming device, I'd think. I'm predicting it will sell very, very well.

another person that notices! Thank you, i said this 100 times, people are getting mad at the wrong reasons. Also lol to people who think 3D dont work and this is the answer. The 33mil users + the extra 10mil users this year disagree. 3DS is still being sold, Nintendo hasnt dropped it. Why are Haters so negative