By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Evidence for the existence of God

Tombi, you mentioned "general", and again, that's not the same as necessary. Again, I know the benificial mutations TEND to survive, the only problem is, they happen at random, and so that would have to make the process rather random as a whole.

Andir: "So, if you don't give God your love, then you shall be forced to live an eternity of suffering? How is this any different than a "need"? If he doesn't need you to love him, why would you be threatened with eternal damnnation for not doing as your told? Why does he need to strike fear into you to get what he "wants"?" Yes, because, that is the only other option. Its either him, or not him, which is hell. Also, hurting someone for not giving you what you want doesn't constitute a need, as you seem to imply.

senseinobaka: "Both groups enjoy the ransom sacrafice and are made clean from adamic sin when they die." No, they don't. In Revelations, and many other places, it specifically says that there will be a judgement, and that some will go to heaven, and others to the lake of fire. If they were indeed cleansed of their sins, then they would not be condemned, contrary to that which does happen. And as for the context of the Corinthian verse, all throughout the chapter it refers to the body as a tent in which we live. "2)You claim that humans are some kind of soul/spirit hybrid. Genesis does not say that. They are just a soul" Again, in Genesis, it says that man was created in his image, and that man had the breath of life, distinguishing us from animal life, and forcing us to accept some other property than just the phyical, as God does not have a physical image in which we could be created.

Final fan: I would, of course, agree with you on the "forever and ever" context, but I should clarify what I mean by death in that context. I'm saying you can't destroy "death", which means here physical death, in any sense because thats non-sensical. It would be like God throwing the idea of orbiting into hell. That doesn't make any sense. Therefore, I would say that the Death refered to here is not the physical death.

Ugh, lots o' posts. Perhaps we could condense our arguments somewhere else?

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz
Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
senseinobaka said:
Final-Fan said:
senseinobaka, appolose may be mistaken about death not being destroyable (assuming the existence and willingness of God to do such a thing), but the lake of fire that unbelievers are thrown into is clearly not merely a metaphor for complete nonexistence.

"And the devil... was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever."

I understand, what with people coming back from the dead at the end, that the Bible's authors might feel the need to specify "destroyed forever" (countering one of appolose's criticisms) but the description of "day and night for ever and ever" just makes no sense at all in that context. "I'm going to kill you, and you'll be dead forever, all seven days of the week. Especially on Tuesdays." The explicit description of something happening on a constant basis does not apply to something happens once and remains that way forever.

The metaphor is clear. The english language is not. The word translated torment is from the greek word "basanistes" It literally means 'jailers'. The idea behind the scripture you are quoting is that Satan will be destroyed forever and he will be jailed there in destruction day and night forever.

For satan there is not chance of ever coming back. He has no parole. The english laguage makes the word torment ambiguos. It could mean torture. But thankfully the greeks had a different word for that, so by examining the original language the tought is clear.

I do agree with you that it could be rather reitterative, but such emphasis and restatement of ideas in almost exagerated ways is a halmark of the bible literature.

But the point of "jail" is that the person is still there, locked up. Not nonexistent. Even if he's there forever, he's THERE. That's the difference between life in prison and the death penalty. (Aside from the possibility of an overturned sentence -- unlikely in Satan's case.)

Not really. A jail is a place where someone is kept. The scripture states that Satan will be kept/jailed in nonexistence as represented by the lake of fire and the second death. It's not a literal jail with concrete walls and iron bars. 

Even if satan is destroyed and becomes nonexistant, God still holds the power of bringing him back. This scripture emphasizes the fact that such an occurance will NEVER happen.

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

tombi123 said:
Poeta said:
tombi123 said:
All it would take for me to believe in God is concrete evidence. Seeing as there are plenty of you who are saying there is lots of evidence for God, can you please show me this evidence?

Thiers a verse when someone ask God how to prove him to others God said. "Tell them to Look outside, look at all, the animals, mountains, rivers, look at life and you will know that I made it"Now you must be thinking, "thats not proof". So to prove God we need to look at what God does everyday. Miracles, exorcisms, bleeding statues, healing are some but lets look at something else(Since I already posted miracles early on the post). Lets look why some muslims turn christians 

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BeMc-E0wSuA    

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-CExvHJxJnY&feature=user   

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0FFF-O1MlF4             

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JlnO9cfgCNM&feature=user                                                                        

Gulshan Esther - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulshan_Esther

Now you must be saying" Wtf christians turn muslims too". Yes but most muslims have visions, aparations and get healed by Jesus Christ. While christians that turn muslims just want to try something else in life(Since no one has had a vision of mohhamed, got healed by mohhamed, or heard mohhamed's voice)

Now lets look at animals. How do they survive from predators, for food, and new enviroments!!!! well you must be saying "Its called evolution stupid! they addapt!!" Evolution does occur wolf to dogs. But what if some creatures needed everything they have to be alive otherwise they would be dead. Eh watch this video so you can understand what I mean.   http://youtube.com/watch?v=RofGpGwPfX8

I can't just point and say thiers God!! And I can't just say 1+1=2 so thats proff thiers a God. Most atheist(people who didn't believe in the super natural) I know turned christians because they had a religiuos experience. Go visit sacred places, sacred churche's, where miracles occur all the time.  Go to church, pray, have group gatherings                                                                   

Or

Go sleep in a haunted house, buy a demonic doll, go play guija in the cementary ask a priest to put a demon on you.

I haven't watched the first five links, but I watched the sixth.

I do not believe that that guy was ever a evolutionist lecturer. Because at the end he said that evolution was random and chance. Evolution is the complete, absolute, polar opposite of random and chance. ALL of the examples of 'creatures that defy evolution' can be easily explained by evolution. I am certainly not a biologist. I have no knowledge of biology above GCSE level, but even I could explain how some of those creatures evolved. 

I suggest you read a couple of books by Richard Dawkins, or just any book on evolution to get a better understanding of evolution. Then make up your mind on whether God designed us or if we evolved.

I would like to point out that the creationist in the video, when talking about the Human eye that must have been designed by God, said 'if you get a perfect Human eye, not one that is short sighted or long sighted, it can see for miles and miles, and really up close'. Notice that the vast majority of Human eyes are not perfect. This suggests to me that an omnipotent God has not designed them because they are not perfect. The imperfections in the eye are to be expected if the eye has been evolving over thousands of years, thus backing up and providing even more evidence for evolution.   

Everytime I post on a religion topic. I usually post it because people have curious questions about religion. And I post since it could help thier faith. I'm usually not the kind of person whos gonna tell you "YOUR GONNA GO TO HELL!!!" just a person who wants to help. But I realize a lot of people here don't want to know anything. Just feel like arguing. For reals Imma stop posting here after this

"believe that that guy was ever a evolutionist lecturer" well he is

"ALL of the examples of 'creatures that defy evolution' can be easily explained by evolution" Thats wierd... Didn't he say he made question to the evolutionist and the evolutionist did not have an answer to him. Like the woodpeckers tounge?

"I am certainly not a biologist. I have no knowledge of biology above GCSE level, but even I could explain how some of those creatures evolved." Hey thats not a bad idea. Maybe you should make your own documentary or get people to sponsor your video "I that defy creatures that defy evolution". You would put an end to this lying progapanda, to this creationist!!!  Since offcourse you got the answers to them."

"I suggest you read a couple of books by Richard Dawkins, or just any book on evolution to get a better understanding of evolution." Ok I'll do that, but next time give one in general, and what parts of the book that helped you understand evolution

"Then make up your mind on whether God designed us or if we evolved." Eh once I read it. I'll let you know

"Notice that the vast majority of Human eyes are not perfect. This suggests to me that an omnipotent God has not designed them because they are not perfect. The imperfections in the eye are to be expected if the eye has been evolving over thousands of years, thus backing up and providing even more evidence for evolution. "

This is confusing. Just because the guy said our eyes are perfect (In a sence of how its form)(And compared probably to most animals, like our brain) it proves evolution because most people have poorsight, which you believe has been evolving over the years. (despite all the things today that cause people to wear glasses) . Now if someone is born blind, blindsighted or has any other kind of eye dieasses they disaprove God? If i poke my eye out i disaprove God? If I die, and my eyes turn to dust I'm dissaproving God?  Are our eyes supposed to live forever? Should we be having all kinds of dieasses on our body but not our eyes?

So yea.. if people where really interested in God (note not religion) they woun't be posting on furroms. Instead of posting, they would be researching on thier own. But I guess no one is interested.

And to andir

"So, if you don't give God your love, then you shall be forced to live an eternity of suffering?  How is this any different than a "need"?  If he doesn't need you to love him, why would you be threatened with eternal damnnation for not doing as your told?  Why does he need to strike fear into you to get what he "wants"?"

Ok look at this way. God sets up rules, don't kill, don't steal, don't mistreat your parents. Now you say why should we listen to God when where good well moral people. We can make our own good choices.

Jesus one time said "bless is the one who does not know me" In the bible Jesus says thier will be people who will never know anything about God. So when they die they will be judge on thier actions instead of faith. Now lets say you will go on living your life trying not to do bad things. But were all humans we all do bad things. You've probably done some bad things, for your incovenience, for fun, or because you can. But anyways in the end, is it really that bad to say "You know what I've done some bad things, I really lament what I did I will confess it to God" or to emptyspace for some. I don't know if you ever felt that feeling in the back of your brain telling you, youve done something wrong. But since humans for thier inconveninces don't go an extra step by confessing, going to church ect... start saying " Eh God understands he knows I lament what I did, I'm not a bad person"

In the end when we die. God will judge us and he is rightous, he is fair.

God judges you and says " Andir!! You have commited Adultery!!! You will go to hell for your sins".

God judges me saying "Poeta you have commited murder!!!! But you have repented to me and ask for my forgiviness, actullay lamenting for what you did and your best not to do it againg.. You can proceed to heaven"!!!!!

Its not just about giving love to God. hope you understood what I meant. 

ZOMG

RELIGOUS WARRR

but seriously..........
it doesn't matter whether there's a god or not
IMO, human thinking is constantly moving forward. To answer the questions humans had thousands of years ago, religion provided an answer to all those questions. Relgions were built upon older societies/religions (several prominent bible stories are directly from babylonian myths, such as Genesis. Genesis borrowed a lot from the Epic of Gilgamesh, which is a babylonian story)

religion was the pinnacle of the evolution of human thought ...... until the past century..

science is proof of what human thinking has evolved into, and to totally dismiss blatant scientific proof of something is quite ignorant. for example, i have quite literally, met someone who said gravity is not real. they say there is a mystic force that attracts all things to the ground.

senseinobaka said:
Andir said:
So, if you don't give God your love, then you shall be forced to live an eternity of suffering? How is this any different than a "need"? If he doesn't need you to love him, why would you be threatened with eternal damnnation for not doing as your told? Why does he need to strike fear into you to get what he "wants"?

Please go back and read some of my earlier posts. The bible is very specific about sin and death and it doesnt teach that the dead will be tortured eternally in hellfire. Thats is actually a teaching that has been assimilated into mainstream christianity from anicient pagan religions.

Fair enough, but what is the motivation?  If God somehow orchestrated the stars and molecules to put humans on Earth, what is the purpose to make it known that he exists... as some would say the Bible was written to carry on the teachings and why does God need preachers and churches to carry that word?

The Bible sounds to me like a well written piece of marketting that does it's job well.  It sells people on the idea that there is a force in the universe that doesn't control you, doesn't make itself evident, and wants you to follow a specific set of rules out of trust that someday you will go on to live a better existance.  So, great... why not just live your life whatever way you can/will instead of preaching this to everyone else?  Why must priests and churches exist to spread the word of God if it's a non-binding contract (ie: no ill effects)? Why can't you believe that God exists without having to go to church every sunday and praise him?  Why pray?  If God is all knowing and knows what is best, why request a change in your life?  If God controls your existance and created you for a purpose, why defy that purpose by changing your life to praise him unless that's his purpose... if this is the case... why does God need praise?  Why does God need anything from us unless he himself is/was a human and has/had needs?

If your wondering where I'm going with this, I think (as I've alluded to) that God is a human creation used to control people and explain the unknown.  That's it.  Without proof to such a being, there's no point in preaching these beliefs unless you seek to change the way someone else lives and thus fight the will of any God that did create us and fight his purpose for putting us here.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Around the Network
appolose said:

Andir: "So, if you don't give God your love, then you shall be forced to live an eternity of suffering? How is this any different than a "need"? If he doesn't need you to love him, why would you be threatened with eternal damnnation for not doing as your told? Why does he need to strike fear into you to get what he "wants"?" Yes, because, that is the only other option. Its either him, or not him, which is hell. Also, hurting someone for not giving you what you want doesn't constitute a need, as you seem to imply.

Then why give an ultimatum?  Why would you be any different for believing or not believing?  If you give an ultimatum, you require that that person do something opposed to their natural course.  Want is need.  You need them to do something, for some reason.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

@ senseinobaka: I think we've gone about as far as we can with only this one passage, and I frankly don't feel like doing the research to expand the debate properly. I believe that puts us in "agree to disagree" territory, for now anyway.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Andir said:

Fair enough, but what is the motivation? If God somehow orchestrated the stars and molecules to put humans on Earth, what is the purpose to make it known that he exists... as some would say the Bible was written to carry on the teachings and why does God need preachers and churches to carry that word?

The Bible sounds to me like a well written piece of marketting that does it's job well. It sells people on the idea that there is a force in the universe that doesn't control you, doesn't make itself evident, and wants you to follow a specific set of rules out of trust that someday you will go on to live a better existance. So, great... why not just live your life whatever way you can/will instead of preaching this to everyone else? Why must priests and churches exist to spread the word of God if it's a non-binding contract (ie: no ill effects)? Why can't you believe that God exists without having to go to church every sunday and praise him? Why pray? If God is all knowing and knows what is best, why request a change in your life? If God controls your existance and created you for a purpose, why defy that purpose by changing your life to praise him unless that's his purpose... if this is the case... why does God need praise? Why does God need anything from us unless he himself is/was a human and has/had needs?

If your wondering where I'm going with this, I think (as I've alluded to) that God is a human creation used to control people and explain the unknown. That's it. Without proof to such a being, there's no point in preaching these beliefs unless you seek to change the way someone else lives and thus fight the will of any God that did create us and fight his purpose for putting us here.

Why is it that everyone who argues against the existance of God seems incapable of understanding that just because God is ALL POWERFUL does not mean that God is somehow incapable of refraining from using that power to force people to do things. This view is only held by those who are inherently weak. When you KNOW you have power, power that is yours and can never be taken away from you, there is NO NEED TO ABUSE IT. People who abuse power do it almost ALWAYS out of a lack of intelligence, out of fear of losing their power, or because the extent of their power is actually very limited in scope.

God knows how the universe works, and he created humans with free will. If he did all the work for them, it would be pointless, he's god, he's all powerful, he already knows that he can succeed. The point comes from watching and guiding an imperfect being towards perfection. He knows all the rules, these rules are really tough to learn and remember, so in order to make sure it sticks, sometimes it's gotta be learned the hard way, but the right answer has to be kept out there and constantly available so people can have that choice available to make.

why do math teachers inevidably insist on teaching us that 2 + 2 = 4? Because that's teh right answer, sure, there may be a bunch of jackasses that try to get you to believe it's 3. There may be other people who confuse teh issue by telling you it's 20/5ths, but it still boils down to the fact that they tell you it because that's teh answer.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Poeta said:

But I realize a lot of people here don't want to know anything. Just feel like arguing. For reals Imma stop posting here after this.

-------------------------------------------------------------

"So, if you don't give God your love, then you shall be forced to live an eternity of suffering?  How is this any different than a "need"?  If he doesn't need you to love him, why would you be threatened with eternal damnnation for not doing as your told?  Why does he need to strike fear into you to get what he "wants"?"

Ok look at this way. God sets up rules, don't kill, don't steal, don't mistreat your parents. Now you say why should we listen to God when where good well moral people. We can make our own good choices.

Jesus one time said "bless is the one who does not know me" In the bible Jesus says thier will be people who will never knew anything about God. So when they die they will be judge on thier actions instead of faith. Now you will go on living your life trying not to do bad things. But were all humans we all do bad things. You've probably done some bad things, for your incovenience, for fun, or because you can. But anyways in the end, is it really that bad to say "You know what I've done some bad things, I feel really bad for doing them" to God? to emptyspace for some. I don't know if you ever felt that feeling in the back of your brain telling you, youve done something wrong.

In the end when we die.

God judges you and says " Andir!! You have commited Adultery!!! You will go to hell for your sins".

God judges me saying "Poeta you have commited murder!!!! But you have repented to me and ask for my forgiviness, actullay lamenting for what you did and your best not to do it againg.. You can proceed to heaven"!!!!!

Its not just about giving love to God. hope you understood what I meant. 

On the contrary... I think a lot of people here want to know the truth.  Going through life asking if you're doing the right thing is kind of counterproductive, no?  Going through life ignoring the truth and accepting whatever you're told is easy.  And you leave the conversation with your idea of what is right or wrong, ignoring the answer and just accepting God is akin to sticking your fingers in your ear and screaming "I'm not listening."  I don't mean that offensively, but look at it from the perspective of everyone outside the "in" club.  "If you cannot just accept it, you have failed and will never accept it."  At least that's what you're telling me.  Except in this discussion, you're telling me that I will forever be lost because I'm discussing the idea and not getting the answers or proof that is needed.  And why can't I have that proof?

-----------------

Why does God need rules?  If he put us on this Earth to live our lives, why does he need/want us to live by these specific rules?  Why must people live by certain rules in order to please God and get accepted?  To me, it sounds like a child setting house rules.  Only I get to play with the red car.  If you play with the red car, you have to leave and never come back.

Andir said:
appolose said:

Then why give an ultimatum?  Why would you be any different for believing or not believing?  If you give an ultimatum, you require that that person do something opposed to their natural course.  Want is need.  You need them to do something, for some reason.

It isn't an ulitmatum.  (my) Christian theology indicates that God did not want to force us to love Him, so he gave us the only other option; not Him, which is a very painful thing (according to theology again).  And want is not need.  You asked why God would need us to go and do the preaching and teaching of His word, because He is all-powerful.  I assume you were implying that that request of God meant he couldn't do it Himself.

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz