By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Reveals the Newest Addition to the 3DS Family: Nintendo 2DS

KylieDog said:
the2real4mafol said:

I though the 3D feature was what made the battery life so poor. i guess not. Also, if 3DS is weaker than Vita, why are their battery lifes so similar? 

3DS has two screens?

So why did DS lite have such an amazing battery life? That had two screens. Surely the 3DS can't be that much more powerful, like maybe from N64 to Wii in terms of graphics. 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
JakDaSnack said:
I've been looking through this and I think a lot of people are either trolling or just don't understand what the 2ds is.

Nintendo flat out said this was aimed at the 4-6 age group.

1) The 3d effect is a big concern for parents, this is why they took it out. They didn't take it out because they realized the 3d was pointless, stop trying to think that's the case.
2) The lack of hinges means that you wont have your 4 year old folding the 2ds in the wrong direction and accidentally breaking it, this happens a lot more than you realize, and by not having a 2ds with hinges, this completely fixes that issue.
3) It's cheaper

All in all, this was a genius idea from Nintendo.

Takes a bud from 2013 to shed sense. Kudos

happydolphin said:
JoeTheBro said:
Can anyone explain why the 2DS still has a 3D camera? For a system made to cut corners and be cheap, why?

Because the cameras are 2d cameras and come a dime a dozen. Not like the 3D screen which is much more expensive.

I think the fact that a few games actively use the camera for gameplay (Steel Diver, Denpa Men, etc.) also plays a role. The 3D is optional for every game, while a handful make the camera mandatory.

Like I said on GAF:
non-foldable, non-buyable.

RolStoppable said:
kitler53 said:
no 3D for a lower price seems fair but a lack of clam shell design makes it an instant fail to me. that is the most unportable portable device i've ever seen...

You own a Vita which has sticks... sticking out.

which are low profile.  vita fits in my pocket just fine even if it protrutes out the top a bit.  2DS would require a purse...

Around the Network

I can only imagine all the confused parents trying to buy 2DS games this Christmas...

noname2200 said:
happydolphin said:
JoeTheBro said:
Can anyone explain why the 2DS still has a 3D camera? For a system made to cut corners and be cheap, why?

Because the cameras are 2d cameras and come a dime a dozen. Not like the 3D screen which is much more expensive.

I think the fact that a few games actively use the camera for gameplay (Steel Diver, Denpa Men, etc.) also plays a role. The 3D is optional for every game, while a handful make the camera mandatory.

That makes sense, since the cameras being input may have caused a glitch in games which made use of the camera (expecting 2 cams and not 1), whereas the 3DS was designed with the ability to turn the 3D off. So from a software robustness perspective your thoughts make a lot of sense.

its technically perfect for kids

NoirSon said:

Yeah, the platform itself is fine but I do agree the name 2DS sounds like it is going to cause unneccessary brand confusion, especially since all of the current 3DS software have ''3DS" written and the less knowledgeable parent might just think "Jimmy has a 2DS but I can't seem to find 2DS games anywhere."

I mean couldn't they just have called it the 3DS Flat or Smooth, at this point, this hardware revision has only one serious flaw besides color and its the name. I don't think it will be too determental but I don't see it helping avoid confusion. Strange for a company so intent on making many of their games easier they sure don't seem to mind making their product names more puzzling then needed.

I don't object to the idea of the new model either, even if I don't particularly like it. It's just a choice, so it's not something you can have much issue with. Dropping 3D though...

The thing is that, if you're dropping 3D, you can't call it 3DS. And if you can't call it 3DS, then you have to change the name of the platform. So you end up backtracking here on one of the main features of the platform and changing its name just to have a new cheaper model available, which is something you could have done in a different way anyway.

Is the optional 3D feature really that much of an obstacle for the platform, from Nintendo's point of view ? I don't think it is... And perhaps there was a different way to handle it anyway, like having some sort of clear, parental control for it. Something that alleviated any concerns parents might have regarding it, without removing the option.

I don't know, it just seems unjustified to me, with more potential cons than pros. And it is indeed strange that Nintendo of all companies doesn't mind all this, specially after all the talk regarding the WiiU name... But well, let's see what the market says. The platform itself will be fine either way.

Strictly from a tracking point of view for this site will the 2ds be counted as stand alone or as part of the 3ds weekly sales?