By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Now that the Vita had a price drop, will the Wii U still be able to catch it this year?

Can the wii U over take?

Not this year now 42 19.27%

Yes 88 40.37%

Maybe 36 16.51%

Not at all. 50 22.94%

Other post below 2 0.92%

Total:218

I think the gap will actually grow slightly. Mario 3d will obviously be huge for the WiiU but that's not coming till december? The Vita pricecut is happening this month. Also the WiiU will be under increased competition from a $200 PS3 from this month too and the new consoles later this year. So I see the gap growing further, before shrinking.

Around the Network
pezus said:
teigaga said:
tbone51 said:
small44 said:
I think God Eater will not let's Wii u outselling Vita

1 huge game vs 4 huge games... (this includes Mario)

What are those huge 4 games? Mario and Donkey Kong are the only games that are definitely going to be huge.

Also Vita has around twice as many releases this fall then the Wii U. Final Fantasy X, Legend of Heroes, Gundam Breaker, Dynasty Warriors 8 xtreme, Project J versus, Tearaway, Killzone, Dragon ball Z,White album 2, Stein Gate, warriors orochi 3 ultimate and a few more i can't remember.

Wonderful 101, Disney Infinity, Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed IV

Seriously though, he probably means Wii U Party (or whatever it's called), Zelda, Mario and DK. I don't think any one of them will be huge though. Zelda might crawl over a million, Mario will sell 3-5m eventually, DK 2-4m eventually and WiiU Party is anyone's guess

When was the last time a mainline Mario or DK sold so little? Every mainline console Donkey Kong game in the last 20 years has sold over 5 milliom with the exception of DKC3. Every 3D Mario has sold  6-12 million. Not sure what makes u think those series will all of a sudden sell half of what they consistently sell.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
pezus said:
teigaga said:
tbone51 said:
small44 said:
I think God Eater will not let's Wii u outselling Vita

1 huge game vs 4 huge games... (this includes Mario)

What are those huge 4 games? Mario and Donkey Kong are the only games that are definitely going to be huge.

Also Vita has around twice as many releases this fall then the Wii U. Final Fantasy X, Legend of Heroes, Gundam Breaker, Dynasty Warriors 8 xtreme, Project J versus, Tearaway, Killzone, Dragon ball Z,White album 2, Stein Gate, warriors orochi 3 ultimate and a few more i can't remember.

Seriously though, he probably means Wii U Party (or whatever it's called), Zelda, Mario and DK. I don't think any one of them will be huge though. Zelda might crawl over a million, Mario will sell 3-5m eventually, DK 2-4m eventually and WiiU Party is anyone's guess

When was the last time a mainline Mario or DK sold so little? Every mainline console Donkey Kong game in the last 20 years has sold over 5 milliom with the exception of DKC3. Every 3D Mario has sold  6-12 million. Not sure what makes u think those series will all of a sudden sell half of what they consistently sell.

When was the last time Nintendo had a system performing as badly as the Wii U? Never. Well Virtual Boy, but that never got any of these big franchises so we can pretty much ignore it.

Look at NSMBU. It's at 2 million and with legs could make it to 3 or so. When the other games in the series are at 29 mil on DS and 27 on Wii, and 6 mil on the 3DS. That franchise scales perfectly to the instal base of console. Of course there are many other factors to consider, but it shows these games can drop in sales by a huge amount. It makes Pez's prediction plausible.

However since the 3DS is Nintendo's most recent console to get these games, we can make predictions based off sales ratios from say 3D Mario to 2D Mario, using NSMBU as a base (3 mil since I'm caring for long term sales). This gives us only 4 million sales for Super Mario 3D World. That is perfectly within Pezuzezs prediction. Only math, no biased opinions on this one. This technique puts Mario Kart 8 right under 4 million. Donkey Kong only has the remake on 3DS so we can't use its numbers, but based off the Wii game sales ratio, it should be not too much above a million.

It wasn't going to catch it regardless of Vita's cut. A 2.15m gap that's still widening is too much to close in 2 months for a system like WiiU. Even if sales jump a lot they'll still be so-so and Vita is till selling something.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

It had a very slim chance before the cut but now I just can't see it happening. It has only one system seller the rest of the year that releases in December and honestly I don't see it pushing hardware all that high. Vita has Killzone, Tearaway (still undecided on how Tearaway will perform though), and Gods Eater 2. Also add in Minecraft as a wild card.

While none of these besides Gods Eater 2 in Japan will be huge system sellers, the price cut will allow software to effect hardware a lot more. Besides, the next 2 and half months we'll see the Vita extend it's lead while the Wii U in theory should start to out sell it the last month and a half this year WW (Vita has Japan on lock this year and Europe is a safe bet but the US will be Wii U).

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
zorg1000 said:
pezus said:
teigaga said:
tbone51 said:
small44 said:

When was the last time Nintendo had a system performing as badly as the Wii U? Never. Well Virtual Boy, but that never got any of these big franchises so we can pretty much ignore it.

Look at NSMBU. It's at 2 million and with legs could make it to 3 or so. When the other games in the series are at 29 mil on DS and 27 on Wii, and 6 mil on the 3DS. That franchise scales perfectly to the instal base of console. Of course there are many other factors to consider, but it shows these games can drop in sales by a huge amount. It makes Pez's prediction plausible.

However since the 3DS is Nintendo's most recent console to get these games, we can make predictions based off sales ratios from say 3D Mario to 2D Mario, using NSMBU as a base (3 mil since I'm caring for long term sales). This gives us only 4 million sales for Super Mario 3D World. That is perfectly within Pezuzezs prediction. Only math, no biased opinions on this one. This technique puts Mario Kart 8 right under 4 million. Donkey Kong only has the remake on 3DS so we can't use its numbers, but based off the Wii game sales ratio, it should be not too much above a million.

Based off those numbers, Wii U would only sell like 10 million lifetime. Ur NSMBU argument doesnt really add up, DS/Wii/3DS versions released after the consoles had been out for 2-3 years so had an established userbase and library to go along with it. On Wii U its a launch title and one of 3 Nintendo games released in the first 8 months, of course it hasnt sold nearly as well as other installments.

People seem to have this notion that NSMB is a system seller in and of itself but it has always had alot of high selling titles already available by the time it released and price of console plays a role as well.

DS-$129, Brain Training, Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Mario 64DS

Wii-$199 Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess

3DS-$169/199 Mario Kart, Mario 3D Land, OoT 3D and now Animal Crossing, Luigis Mansion

Wii U-$349 Nintendo Land

There is no reason to believe that Wii U sales wont increase once certain titles release and price comes down. Sales should pick up this holiday with 3D World, DKC, Wii Fit/Party, Wind Waker and holiday bundles/discounts. Next year can continue momentum with a price cut and Mario Kart, Smash Bros and possibly Wii Sports, Zelda U.

Another thing ur numbers dont take into account is that those 3DS titles arent done selling, Mario Kart/3D Land/NSMB2 will all likely sell around 15 million so based off ur ratio, Wii U versions of those games could sell more closely to 7-8 million.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I think the Wii U will explode this christmas. People are underestimating the fact that the system is cheaper and will have quality software out. Its just a shame Mario Kart wont be out aswell.

I do think Nintendo needs to slash the price, even if only by 20 euros or something, just to raise awareness.

Nem said:
I think the Wii U will explode this christmas. People are underestimating the fact that the system is cheaper and will have quality software out. Its just a shame Mario Kart wont be out aswell.

I do think Nintendo needs to slash the price, even if only by 20 euros or something, just to raise awareness.

I think they should hold off on cutting pricd for now, instead focus on providing more value. Phase out Basic, Deluxe-$299, Wind Waker-$349. Plus this holiday should see some nice sales/bundles. Something like Deluxe-$249 or Deluxe with 2-3 games for $299. Save the price cut for April to coincide with Mario Kart and beginning of fiscal year.

zorg1000 said:
Nem said:

I think they should hold off on cutting pricd for now, instead focus on providing more value. Phase out Basic, Deluxe-$299, Wind Waker-$349. Plus this holiday should see some nice sales/bundles. Something like Deluxe-$249 or Deluxe with 2-3 games for $299. Save the price cut for April to coincide with Mario Kart and beginning of fiscal year.

I think they need to be at least 100 euros below the PS4. Because if you buy a Wii U 350, with 50 more you can get a PS4. With that said, the software offering on Wii U this christmas is alot more appealing in general than the other two systems.

Nem said:
zorg1000 said:
Nem said:

I think they need to be at least 100 euros below the PS4. Because if you buy a Wii U 350, with 50 more you can get a PS4. With that said, the software offering on Wii U this christmas is alot more appealing in general than the other two systems.

That fits in with what my post said. Deluxe at 299 is 100 less than PS4 and Wind Waker bundle is 50 less than PS4 and I assume it also includes Nintendo Land.

Based off that u can get Wii U w/Nintendo Land+Wind Waker+2 more games for basically the same price as PS4+1 game