By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - W101 is going to be a gargantuan flop

Tagged games:

Cobretti2 said:
bananaking21 said:
Cobretti2 said:
it doesn't matter when a game launches, if its a god game it will sell. May not be big to start with but a good game has legs.

it does. ill list Killzone 3 and bulletstrom for example. they launched on the same day, bulletstrom on the 360 sold okay, but on the PS3? it flopped hard, really hard, just a few dozen thousand. Killzone3 just destroyed it. now imagine a game going up against GTA5. trust me, it matters

yer but this is a exclusive on WIi U, which isn't really going against GTAV.

Most games on Nintendo platforms have strong legs, assuming offcourse that they will be good. That is the point I am making. If the game gets a good word of mouth then it will continue to sell at a steady pace. If the game doesn't caputre the gamers it won't.

true, but GTA5 will surely make it hard for this to be a system seller, since people who dont have a WiiU will probably be more interested in GTA5 then W101.

the games that have strong legs are usually ones with mario or the other mascots in it though. and the just okay reviews wont help either. dont get me wrong, i want the game to sell, its really unique and seems like a load of fun, but it seems nintendo messed up the launch of what seems to be a game with tons of potential to be awesome

Around the Network

a sourceless rumour saying only 30k copies were shipped to japan doesn't qualify as true.

europe coment is an exaggeration.

the game is wii u only, being released first on europe and japan won't affect US sales. GTA5 release date is unrelated.

think-man said:
The company developing it doesnt have a good track record of selling games....How are they even still around?

Japanese companies tend to be better at managing their budgets, and so working within smaller sales expectations. If i were a betting man, I'd say that the "Sega Three" (Bayonetta, MadWorld, Infinite Space) of theirs all made money, or at least scraped by. Anarchy Reigns probably didn't make money (which may be why Sega canned Bayonetta 2). Revengeance probably did well, and was fairly well-received from what I recall. Vanquish is also questionable.

4/6 ain't bad. I can't foresee W101 costing too terribly much for Nintendo to bankroll, either.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

bananaking21 said:
Cobretti2 said:
it doesn't matter when a game launches, if its a god game it will sell. May not be big to start with but a good game has legs.

it does. ill list Killzone 3 and bulletstrom for example. they launched on the same day, bulletstrom on the 360 sold okay, but on the PS3? it flopped hard, really hard, just a few dozen thousand. Killzone3 just destroyed it. now imagine a game going up against GTA5. trust me, it matters

what you said would be true if GTA5 was releasing on wii u in september 15, but it isn't.

I want to believe that it'll at least profit.....

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
bananaking21 said:
Cobretti2 said:

what you said would be true if GTA5 was releasing on wii u in september 15, but it isn't.

what you said would be true if everybody who owns a WiiU or planning on buying them does not own either a PS3 or 360. 

bananaking21 said:
Cobretti2 said:

The target audience for both Wonderful 101 & Grand Theft Auto V are just a taaaad different. It's not like GTA is on the Wii U either, so people looking to pick up a game on their Wii U won't be considering GTA as a potential purchase. I'm not suggesting W101 is going to be a massive hit, but the demographics are different enough to make their close launches seem less significant. Personally, I won't be picking up GTA and will be getting W101 instead.

Zero999 said:

a sourceless rumour saying only 30k copies were shipped to japan doesn't qualify as true.

europe coment is an exaggeration.

the game is wii u only, being released first on europe and japan won't affect US sales. GTA5 release date is unrelated.

Do you think it will sell more than 30k first week? 

Im thinking 100-120k LTD in Japan

bananaking21 said:
Zero999 said:

what you said would be true if everybody who owns a WiiU or planning on buying them does not own either a PS3 or 360. 

you speak as if everyone who has a ps360 will magically buy GTA5. there are people with different tastes, some will prefer W101 over GTA5 and vice versa. the games are too different and on different platforms, they won't affect each other.

Maris said:
bananaking21 said:
Cobretti2 said:

The target audience for both Wonderful 101 & Grand Theft Auto V are just a taaaad different. It's not like GTA is on the Wii U either, so people looking to pick up a game on their Wii U won't be considering GTA as a potential purchase. I'm not suggesting W101 is going to be a massive hit, but the demographics are different enough to make their close launches seem less significant. Personally, I won't be picking up GTA and will be getting W101 instead.

Target audiences are indeed different, but as bananaking says, many Wii U owners, (and prospective Wii U owners) have a PS3 or 360, and GTA5 has very popular appeal.

It's like Iwata has says when talking about competition, that everything that potentially takes time/money away from their products is competition.

Millions of gamers will be getting GTA5, it's safe to say many of NA's million or so Wii U owners fall into this group.