By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - W101 is going to be a gargantuan flop

Tagged games:

I figured the game wasn't going to sell much in japan, but I had hoped for a 20K+ opening.

Looking at newest Tsutaya charts, the game is ranked below Dragon's Crown ps3 sales (9644k last week), so it might open below 10k and thats just upsetting because the game looks enjoyable. Hopefully it will do better in the west.

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
think-man said:
Zero999 said:

a sourceless rumour saying only 30k copies were shipped to japan doesn't qualify as true.

europe coment is an exaggeration.

the game is wii u only, being released first on europe and japan won't affect US sales. GTA5 release date is unrelated.

Do you think it will sell more than 30k first week? 

Im thinking 100-120k LTD in Japan

I certainly don't believe the shipments were only 30k, it makes no sense and there's no source.

Im with you about this, i don´t believe those shipment numbers.

curl-6 said:
Zero999 said:
curl-6 said:

Target audiences are indeed different, but as bananaking says, many Wii U owners, (and prospective Wii U owners) have a PS3 or 360, and GTA5 has very popular appeal.

It's like Iwata has says when talking about competition, that everything that potentially takes time/money away from their products is competition.

Millions of gamers will be getting GTA5, it's safe to say many of NA's million or so Wii U owners fall into this group.

just remember that GTA5 sales will be in the range of 10% the ps360 installed base. it's not like the gaming world stops to buy GTA5, the 90% who don't want it will just buy other games.

My point is, most gamers have a limited budget. When two games come out close together, most will choose one of them.

I would love nothing more than for W101 to be a smash hit. Hell, I'd love to see it outsell GTA5, as I personally think GTA is garbage. But that's kinda like wanting to see Bayonetta 2 outsell COD, it's just not gonna happen.

I think some people will have a hard time grasping this. Games don't have to be in the same genre to be competitors, nor do they have to be on the same platform. Economics will make them competitors by default. If I only have 60 to spare in a given month and I have to choose between GTA IV, Rayman and Puppeteer then I'm going with GTA (but that's just me). I think that's why there was so much concern about Killzone M  launching too close to GTAV, and it's not even on the same platform or genre. GTAV would definitely steal a lot of attention away from KZ: M.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

curl-6 said:
bananaking21 said:

well over 20 million of those people will. i know the games have different appeal but GTA is infact pop culture, it has mass appeal. the number of people who will prefer W101 over GTA are very very little, the number of people who will chose GTA are in the millions. there is no way around it, what ever company you love what ever game you prefer, the game releasing 2 days apart from GTA5 is infact stupid and will hurt sales tremendously.

I still cannot believe they're releasing W101 two days before GTA5, what the hell are they thinking? Why not release it simultaneously with Europe, as the English version is clearly finished?

i honestly have no idea. i really cant understand this one bit. i was actually surprised to know they are releasing it 2 days before GTA5. are nintendo insane? dont they realize just how big GTA is? i swear sometimes they just seem completely out of touch with the world. every company fucks up, but seriously any one on this site could tell you this is a BAD call, why the hell did nobody at nintendo know this?

They can always bundle it.

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
think-man said:
Zero999 said:

a sourceless rumour saying only 30k copies were shipped to japan doesn't qualify as true.

europe coment is an exaggeration.

the game is wii u only, being released first on europe and japan won't affect US sales. GTA5 release date is unrelated.

Do you think it will sell more than 30k first week? 

Im thinking 100-120k LTD in Japan

I certainly don't believe the shipments were only 30k, it makes no sense and there's no source.

Guess if it sells more than 30k first week we will find out, also Media create (I think) keeps a tally on the sell through amounts.

Zappykins said:
Busted said:

101 copies LT confirmed.

Wow, then it would be a rare Collectors Item?  And anyone who buys it now, will be able to see it for 101 million dollars in a few years?

That would be... *sigh* wonderful for that... one... person

Weedlab said:
curl-6 said:

My point is, most gamers have a limited budget. When two games come out close together, most will choose one of them.

I would love nothing more than for W101 to be a smash hit. Hell, I'd love to see it outsell GTA5, as I personally think GTA is garbage. But that's kinda like wanting to see Bayonetta 2 outsell COD, it's just not gonna happen.

I think some people will have a hard time grasping this. Games don't have to be in the same genre to be competitors, nor do they have to be on the same platform. Economics will make them competitors by default. If I only have 60 to spare in a given month and I have to choose between GTA IV, Rayman and Puppeteer then I'm going with GTA (but that's just me). I think that's why there was so much concern about Killzone M  launching too close to GTAV, and it's not even on the same platform or genre. GTAV would definitely steal a lot of attention away from KZ: M.

I think people often think of gamers as single-console owners when a lot of them are not. I'd bet a lot of Wii U owners have a PS3 or 360, maybe even a majority.

bananaking21 said:
curl-6 said:
bananaking21 said:

well over 20 million of those people will. i know the games have different appeal but GTA is infact pop culture, it has mass appeal. the number of people who will prefer W101 over GTA are very very little, the number of people who will chose GTA are in the millions. there is no way around it, what ever company you love what ever game you prefer, the game releasing 2 days apart from GTA5 is infact stupid and will hurt sales tremendously.

I still cannot believe they're releasing W101 two days before GTA5, what the hell are they thinking? Why not release it simultaneously with Europe, as the English version is clearly finished?

i honestly have no idea. i really cant understand this one bit. i was actually surprised to know they are releasing it 2 days before GTA5. are nintendo insane? dont they realize just how big GTA is? i swear sometimes they just seem completely out of touch with the world. every company fucks up, but seriously any one on this site could tell you this is a BAD call, why the hell did nobody at nintendo know this?

It really does astound me how often a bunch of internet forumgoers seem to have more business sense than trained professionals with industry experience, haha. (Not even being sarcastic)

curl-6 said:
Weedlab said:
curl-6 said:

I think people often think of gamers as single-console owners when a lot of them are not. I'd bet a lot of Wii U owners have a PS3 or 360, maybe even a majority.

That's a good point. People tend to use the self reference criterion and figure other 'fans' will be single console owners, but the majority of enthusiasts I know have at least 2 platforms - they just have a preferred one. I'm inclined to think a lot of Wii U owners have either a PS3 or 360 as well.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS