Forums - Nintendo Discussion - W101 is going to be a gargantuan flop

Tagged games:

10K Japan
10K Europe
5K Others
30K America

Yeah... it sucks.

Around the Network

It's a new IP from Nintendo, maybe it can find some legs in the long run.

bananaking21 said:
Cobretti2 said:
bananaking21 said:
Cobretti2 said:
it doesn't matter when a game launches, if its a god game it will sell. May not be big to start with but a good game has legs.

it does. ill list Killzone 3 and bulletstrom for example. they launched on the same day, bulletstrom on the 360 sold okay, but on the PS3? it flopped hard, really hard, just a few dozen thousand. Killzone3 just destroyed it. now imagine a game going up against GTA5. trust me, it matters

yer but this is a exclusive on WIi U, which isn't really going against GTAV.

Most games on Nintendo platforms have strong legs, assuming offcourse that they will be good. That is the point I am making. If the game gets a good word of mouth then it will continue to sell at a steady pace. If the game doesn't caputre the gamers it won't.

true, but GTA5 will surely make it hard for this to be a system seller, since people who dont have a WiiU will probably be more interested in GTA5 then W101.

the games that have strong legs are usually ones with mario or the other mascots in it though. and the just okay reviews wont help either. dont get me wrong, i want the game to sell, its really unique and seems like a load of fun, but it seems nintendo messed up the launch of what seems to be a game with tons of potential to be awesome

Oh I agree they messed up the launch of this game, but with the Nintendo Brand slapped on it, if they game was anything more than decent then it would sell no matter what.

The question here is how good is this game really? Is the game just to weird to attract main stream gamers? only time will tell I guess, but as others pointed out, that studio hasn't got a good track record with previous games. But then again so do a lot of studios before they have that ONE break out game that puts them on the map. Once they reach that goal, publishers are more whilling to take a bigger gamble with that dev and give them bigger budgets.

curl-6 said:
bananaking21 said:
curl-6 said:
bananaking21 said:

well over 20 million of those people will. i know the games have different appeal but GTA is infact pop culture, it has mass appeal. the number of people who will prefer W101 over GTA are very very little, the number of people who will chose GTA are in the millions. there is no way around it, what ever company you love what ever game you prefer, the game releasing 2 days apart from GTA5 is infact stupid and will hurt sales tremendously.

I still cannot believe they're releasing W101 two days before GTA5, what the hell are they thinking? Why not release it simultaneously with Europe, as the English version is clearly finished?

i honestly have no idea. i really cant understand this one bit. i was actually surprised to know they are releasing it 2 days before GTA5. are nintendo insane? dont they realize just how big GTA is? i swear sometimes they just seem completely out of touch with the world. every company fucks up, but seriously any one on this site could tell you this is a BAD call, why the hell did nobody at nintendo know this?

It really does astound me how often a bunch of internet forumgoers seem to have more business sense than trained professionals with industry experience, haha. (Not even being sarcastic)

Yeah, its like they didnt learn their lesson when they released mario kart wii 2 days before gta 4!  Obviously mari kart wii didnt sell well because of that...

seriously though, w101 will do terribly, but it has nothing to do with gta.  Maybe if gta was also coming to the wii u, but it isnt.  W101 will do poorly because it is a niche game with limited appeal and questionable quality.  It was never going to do well.  The fact that the wii u hasnt built up any momentum is another reason why this game will fail.

Rol will be the only one who buys this game in Europe.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:

Oh I agree they messed up the launch of this game, but with the Nintendo Brand slapped on it, if they game was anything more than decent then it would sell no matter what.

The question here is how good is this game really? Is the game just to weird to attract main stream gamers? only time will tell I guess, but as others pointed out, that studio hasn't got a good track record with previous games. But then again so do a lot of studios before they have that ONE break out game that puts them on the map. Once they reach that goal, publishers are more whilling to take a bigger gamble with that dev and give them bigger budgets.

That's a big part of it too; a lot of self-described "hardcore" players will run a mile from its cheesy presentation, while on the other hand its too complex for more casual gamers. It's audience it limited out of the gate by its design choices. (Not that that makes it bad, just niche)

gergroy said:
curl-6 said:

It really does astound me how often a bunch of internet forumgoers seem to have more business sense than trained professionals with industry experience, haha. (Not even being sarcastic)

Yeah, its like they didnt learn their lesson when they released mario kart wii 2 days before gta 4!  Obviously mari kart wii didnt sell well because of that...

seriously though, w101 will do terribly, but it has nothing to do with gta.  Maybe if gta was also coming to the wii u, but it isnt.  W101 will do poorly because it is a niche game with limited appeal and questionable quality.  It was never going to do well.  The fact that the wii u hasnt built up any momentum is another reason why this game will fail.

There are only a few franchises on the planet that can take the fight to GTA. Mario Kart is one of them. ;)

But according to some prediction, it should reach 1 million. It probably reach between 200k -300k and still be profitable.  I have a feeling that a good chunk of the sales will come from digital.

Angelv577 said:
But according to some prediction, it should reach 1 million. It probably reach between 200k -300k and still be profitable.

Not sure on being profitable at those sales. It has 1.5x the budget of bayonetta.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614076

Nintendo prob paid them for exclusivity though, so it might not matter too much.

I wonder if it will sell more than Wind Waker since that is not only a remake but also a game that didn't sell well

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850