By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Harrison: Xbox One Will Never Come Without Kinect

BraLoD said:
People don't have any mercy around here, LOL.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
binary solo said:

Until April's NPD with PS4 being so far ahead of Xb one I didn't think there was much good reason for them to drop Kinect. With or without Kinect Xb one was not going to fare well outside USA and UK, but without Kinect Xb one would have been able to launch in a lot more countries day 1. It's voice recognition language localisation that held back a wider launch and ultimately that's what's killed Xb one prospects globally, ceding over 40 countries to PS4 with a 9 month sales lead is death for Xb one in most of those markets. Individually, and week by week they don't amount to much, but over time those sales accumulate. Last gen those countries belonged to PS3, even ahead of Wii, with PS3 selling the second most consoles across RoW of all time, only behind PS2. So giving PS4 a head start in those markets was a fatal necessity because of Kinect.

Can voice recognition really be the reason when Switzerland was left out?

Also, the European Union means something, so plenty of the left out countries have Xbox Ones in stores. There may not be an official marketing push, but the system is visible rather than non-existent.

Who knows why some countries were left out. But it makes no sense to leave soo many markets out for so damned long. it's not like they have serious stock shortages, so they should have been able to expand into at least another 15 or 20 territories in April, if it wasn't for the voice recognition thing...or perhaps they were waiting to see what would happen Kinectlessness-wise. No point in manufacturing a bunch of Kinects that aren't going to sell, so don't launch in these extra countries until the Kinectless sku is out.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

wick said:
So Kinectless SKU confirmed.

I give it 6 months from launch.

Nice one dude, almost nailed it

Phill Harrison, ya dun goofed!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

''The price cut was not out of desperation, not at all, we're very confident in our vision''

...so desperate

Around the Network
ViktorBKK said:

Either way, you can quote me in due time. We 'll see if I'm right or wrong.

Pretty amazing prediction.

(quite a few of you were practically spot on)

lot of crow here

If only Phil Harrison attended Law School, he could use his PR skills to carve a lucrative career in politics. Unfortunately, his background appears to be singularly gaming-related. So, after outstaying his welcome at Sony, and having no positive influence on Microsoft, his next port of call must be Activision.

Best of luck in your new role as Bobby Kotick's successor, Phil.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

This was obvious. I had been saying it since launch. Phil spencer is now the main guy so he is changing lots of things.

So XBoxONE should change a name when it release the Kinectless SKU...??

How about XBoxOneEighty...