By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - God doesn't prevent terrible things because?

Please choose wisely....

A. He can't 24 6.96%

B. He doesn't want to 86 24.93%

C. He causes them 22 6.38%

D. He doesn't exist. 213 61.74%

Total:345
attaboy said:
dsgrue3 said:
attaboy said:
I'll throw in my two cents. My last two cents were actually bottle caps. This time, it's for real.

Who decides what's terrible? Man? From our point of view, a tsunami is a terrible thing. From the tuna's point of view, fishing is a terrible thing. From a bacteria's point of view, boiling meat is a terrible thing. The earth is a perfect ball of life floating in the vacuum of space. There's a balance that we just don't understand. As great as it would be for us to live forever in perfect bliss, that wouldn't last long. Everything has its purpose and that is the beauty of God. It's okay for us to question but realize that we are like mere children questioning the actions of an adult. We may not have the capacity to understand the answers to the questions we ask.

Man decides what's best for man. I hope that wasn't a serious question?

The term "rhetorical question" may be lost on you.  Of course we decide what's best for us--but we can only decide from our point of view.  What we see as something terrible may be something necessary in a greater scheme.

Necessary does not have any impact upon whether or not something is terrible. It can be terrible even if it's necessary. 

I'm not sure you had a point in either of your responses to be honest. Seemed like total fluff.

Around the Network
Licence said:
The Fury said:

You mean... like Cain himself? Get Cain to highlight to himself what he had done? An interesting thought indeed.

Presumably Cain would know what Cain had done - I was more alluding that maybe God was trying to get Cain to confess to some other person. But as I said, it's a stretch.

Sorry should have been more precise with that. It's the idea that admitting something to yourself can bring to light the reality of what you've done. Like when people say admitting you have a problem is the first step.

Hmm, pie.

dsgrue3 said:
attaboy said:
dsgrue3 said:
attaboy said:
I'll throw in my two cents. My last two cents were actually bottle caps. This time, it's for real.

Who decides what's terrible? Man? From our point of view, a tsunami is a terrible thing. From the tuna's point of view, fishing is a terrible thing. From a bacteria's point of view, boiling meat is a terrible thing. The earth is a perfect ball of life floating in the vacuum of space. There's a balance that we just don't understand. As great as it would be for us to live forever in perfect bliss, that wouldn't last long. Everything has its purpose and that is the beauty of God. It's okay for us to question but realize that we are like mere children questioning the actions of an adult. We may not have the capacity to understand the answers to the questions we ask.

Man decides what's best for man. I hope that wasn't a serious question?

The term "rhetorical question" may be lost on you.  Of course we decide what's best for us--but we can only decide from our point of view.  What we see as something terrible may be something necessary in a greater scheme.

Necessary does not have any impact upon whether or not something is terrible. It can be terrible even if it's necessary. 

I'm not sure you had a point in either of your responses to be honest. Seemed like total fluff.

*shrugs*  Maybe terrible is a human concept that doesn't apply to a higher power.  We're putting our logic on something that isn't human.  Thanks for your thought provoking responses, btw.

The answer is "C", by the way.

dsgrue3 said:

Okay, so now you're saying that all possible choices and outcomes are seen but god doesn't know which will be picked? That's still not knowing something, which negates omniscience.

Potential reality - the implication here is that there are probabilities associated to them, which implies uncertainty. Again, you keep admitting that god does not know things. 

Your catching me out, I like it. That probability is Free Will. What I'm saying that God knows all possibilities, it doesn't matter what is picked or which version comes to pass as God knows about it. 

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
attaboy said:
dsgrue3 said:

*shrugs*  Maybe terrible is a human concept that doesn't apply to a higher power.  We're putting our logic on something that isn't human.  Thanks for your thought provoking responses, btw.

Lol, I love this.

We started talking about who decides what terrible is, to why necessary things can be terrible, and now to why terrible doesn't exist. Talk about the tedium of following nonsense...

When you lose an argument simply invoke the supernatural. Haha

Religious people think God is testing their faith by doing horrible things or they say God is working in mysterious ways. So either they disagree with Gods doing (like people getting killed or raped this very moment) or they actually APPROVE God letting people killed or raped this very moment (they like it). We all know nobody likes terrible things happening to other people so they ignore the fact they don't want to believe that God really doesn't exist. And if they don't agree with Gods doing, then we can ask them why they vote for the political party that suits them the most. Why would you support a God you don't agree with but at the same time join a group/party you DO agree with?

Religion is full of flaws and plot holes.

The Fury said:
dsgrue3 said:

Okay, so now you're saying that all possible choices and outcomes are seen but god doesn't know which will be picked? That's still not knowing something, which negates omniscience.

Potential reality - the implication here is that there are probabilities associated to them, which implies uncertainty. Again, you keep admitting that god does not know things. 

Your catching me out, I like it. That probability is Free Will. What I'm saying that God knows all possibilities, it doesn't matter what is picked or which version comes to pass as God knows about it. 

You're saying god doesn't know which potential reality will occur. That's not knowing something, again negating omniscience.

dsgrue3 said:
attaboy said:
dsgrue3 said:

Lol, I love this.

We started talking about who decides what terrible is, to why necessary things can be terrible, and now to why terrible doesn't exist. Talk about the tedium of following nonsense...

When you lose an argument simply invoke the supernatural. Haha

Lol!  HAA!

Uh...I didn't get it.  I was just laughing because you were.

Hey, I'm not one of those bible guys.  I believe in a higher power but I don't think it was some magic guy and his son.  Then again, I also believe in aliens so do with that what you will.  I just say that the world has been here for a long time.  It had to come from somewhere, right?  As long as the world has been here, how long have people been here?  Our concepts of good, evil, and "terrible" don't mean shit.  We'll come, we'll go, and the world will continue to spin.  We can complain about why God allows "terrible" to happen but what's the point?  There's something bigger at work and we're just a small part of it.  Whatever or whomever our creator is, they've already put wheels in motion and we're just here for the ride.

Lol! HA HA! *random laughter--that's how it's done, right?*

dsgrue3 said:

You're saying god doesn't know which potential reality will occur. That's not knowing something, again negating omniscience.

Now we are going in circles, the contradictory nature of the subject has caused us into a loop. You say this, I say "It doesn't matter as God knows all possible outcomes." And it goes on and on and on... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUVs7vXNZiw

Oh well.

Hmm, pie.