By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - GT review for Lost Odyssey story 9.6 why did this game flop in japan ?

The game didn't flop in Japan.
The Xbox360 did....

20% of the userbase buying a game can hardly be called a flop....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Microsoft didn't pump the money in it that they did for Blue Dragon - however, I've heard in the West, that MS is promoting it alot more.

Also, ioi is undertracking Lost Odyssey. The Famitsu X360 charts are much higher - it hit 90k in December.

It's at 90K on VGC right now, and it wasn't even in Media Create's top 30 a single week in January, which means it's selling under 2000 a week, so it may be undertracked a little, but so little that it doesn't matter. It's sales are awful.

As far as advertisement in America, yeah, it's getting a commercial. Here it is:

I think it's an awful commercial to be honest. The song is horribly inappropriate for the game.  They could have used one of Uematsu's epics, but they put this crap in instead.  Fire the ad agency please Microsoft.

The only thing that I have to say is that they must be losing a lot of money on that game... Actually, the studio is probably not losing money because Microsoft is probably paying them to develop games for the japanese audience hoping that they could help them move more Xbox 360 in Japan. It's really a shame though as that game would have more suited the audience of the ps3. Same thing applys to games such as Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata.

I gotta agree with Naz....that song just seemed totally off to me. I kinda spent the whole time thinking "wtf is with this song" instead of watching the video almost. I don't know, it probably would have been better to have more exciting music if they are set on not using any of the music from the game.

outlawauron said:
@ Darc

Your opinon == fact. Most really like FF 7's story.

Most hadn't played a Final Fantasy title nor any other RPG for that matter. Final Fantasy VII was all hype plain and simple. The story was awful as was the materia system. At least I can see why people would like the materia system, the story is another matter. It was completely nonsensical. An RPG with a poor story, awful gameplay, weak characters, and crappy graphic is not deserving of the 9s and 10s it got from every gaming publication. Even FFVIII had the cool card game, X-2 at least had an interesting take on the jobs system, and XII....well...umm....hmm Matsuno is human everyone makes mistakes.

Around the Network

>Japanese don't buy either Okami a Japanese game about a Japanese tale,

is Okami a JRPG? Then that answers your question.

the game didn't flop in Japan, it just didn't do well, like No More Heroes.

What killed LO in IGN isn't its likeness to FF, it's the bloody load screen, 30 seconds of load screen for a random battle? I'd give the game sub 8.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

first off theres not even 600K Xbox 360's in Japan. that means in order for it to get 500K in sales over 80% of the 360 owners in Japan would have to buy one. A game even if it is a great game no matter which console it is one would have a hard time attaining that number and very few do. Also In Japan there are tons of great RPG's that Lost Oddyssey has to compete with.

Systems I own (Games)

Sega: Dreamcast (40) , Saturn (25), Genesis (50), Masters System (10), Game Gear (20)

Sony: PS1 (8), PS2 (60) , PS3 (5), PSP (12)

Atari: 2600 (18) , 7800 (10), Lynx (10)

Dolla Dolla, thanks.

But I can't get on the site to view it, which is why I asked for the ddl link.

Because it was made on the 360. If it were a ps3 game... it would of sold a shit load. What is up with Sakaguchi and Sony. I thought he had conflict with Square. I wished he make games for Sony :P You never know he may. Well if it flops in N/A or PAL, then I hope he gives on the 360.

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

vdoesntforgive said:
Dolla Dolla, thanks.

But I can't get on the site to view it, which is why I asked for the ddl link.

Well this is the direct link to the game's page over at GT.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/1694.html

You can see the review in HD, too. It looks really good in HD :)

@finalsquall: MS is paying Mistwalker (probably a lot of) mone, so it's unlikely for them to give up on the 360. Especially if LO can have good sales outside of JP. I know I'm looking forward to the next game Mistwalker puts out on the 360. :)

edit: fixed the link. For some reason it put a space in there at the end...

Here are direct download links for the review (WMP versions)

SD: http://www.gametrailers.com/download/30354/t_lostoddssey_vr_gt.wmv

HD: http://www.gametrailers.com/download/30356/t_lostoddssey_vr_gt_h264.wmv 

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"