By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My theory on PS3 graphics

HappySqurriel said:

Anyways, everytime you lose an argument it seems you change the topic ... and I'm growing tired of this

??? You asked the questions, and I answered them. How is that me changing the subject?

Around the Network
antfromtashkent said:
This is my THEORY on PS3 graphics compared to other systems. (please keep in mind that im no tech person and never was but this makes sence to me. see if it does to you.)

Each generation of PS systems the PS was the hardest system to program for so developers always had a hard time. So i was thinking that it would make sence if every time there was a multi platform game the dev's would make it on the easiest platform to program for to show off the game before release (ex: GTA4). And i think that that is the reason that most games look better on other systems such as GC over the PS2 (ex: RE4) because that was a port. So it makes sence to me that the games look beeter on the system that the game was made for. When you port it on the PS each generation it takes something away. But also each generation, whenever a AAA title comes out on the PS it looks amazing (ex: GoW on the PS2, Heavenly, GT5, Uncharted, etc on the PS3) so i do not think that comparing games such as Assasins is a good example of the PS3s power since i would figure it was done on the 360 first and then ported. I think that even though it would be difficult, the best comparisons would be the exclusive games to PS vs exclusive games to the other systems.

What do u guys think?

No, the GC was simply more powerful than the ps2.

but yea, devs cant push BOTH machines on multiplatform games. Its not economical. 

Metalcore, Hardcore, Punk, Emo, Rock.

disolitude said:
Gamecube games released on PS2 look better because gamecube is more powerful

There should be a device that measures systems horsepower...like for cars.

I still refuse to believe that the Gamecube was more powerful.

No GC game could match God of War 2 or Shadow of the Colossus.

Results are more important than numbers. I felt the same about the PS3 until Uncharted came out. Looks better than any 360 game I've seen/own.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
disolitude said:

Results are more important than numbers. I felt the same about the PS3 until Uncharted came out. Looks better than any 360 game I've seen/own.

Thats exactly how i feel but sadly ive looked up comparisons on the tech specs for the GC and the PS2 and apperantly it is, but even with less power the PS2 generated some amazing exclusive games that do look beter that most if not all GC games. And yes the same thing for the PS3 and the 360. but i once again feel the need to explain that this is only my oppinion.

outlawauron said:
disolitude said:

Well, obviously you refuse to believe so, because you're a Sony fan.

Seriously, Shadow of the Colossus? The game with the jaggies that make bleed your eyes? The game with the horrible framerate? The game with huge amount of pop-up? And God of War 2 with it's blurry textures and simply modelled characters? I mean, they look good for PS2 games, but they have nothing to the likes of Star Fox Adventures, Resident Evil 4, Rogue Squadrons, etc., I won't get into technical details again because it seems it's useless.

Around the Network

The tangible and very visible difference in quality and visuals between multiplat titles and exclusive titles should yield much in the way of the answer you're searching for. And kudos for being open to suggestion or correction without being a bitch about it, many senior members could learn from you!

Mummelmann said:
The tangible and very visible difference in quality and visuals between multiplat titles and exclusive titles should yield much in the way of the answer you're searching for. And kudos for being open to suggestion or correction without being a bitch about it, many senior members could learn from you!

well thats what im here for mostly lol beacuse i know that people on here know a S*** load more than i do so i can only go by what i see and read bout.

well the cube was just more powerful than the PS2. That's why re4 looks better on it (even tho it still looks like trash).

What you're saying is true. Especially this generation where really flushing out the capabilities of a machine takes a lot of time and resources.... time and resources 3rd party devs just arent willing to spend. Uncharted looks good because ND made it FOR ps3.

Metalcore, Hardcore, Punk, Emo, Rock.

Heh guys, the PS3 is easier to develop for than was the case with regard to the PS2.

Porting games from 360 to PS3 can be unnecessary hard, the 360 dev tools are easy to get into, but also doesn't really force devs into thinking on getting the most out of the console (some good design principles are crucial for the PS3, but not so much on the 360 although devs will see gains on this console as well if their game engine is properly built).

Competent devs will have no trouble developing for the PS3 and will be able to yield much greater results than would be possible on the 360. Read my sig and click the link the linked thread explains a lot. The PS3's Cell is a radically different compared to prior approaches, so there's a learning curve, but it's not hard to develop for once you get the hang of it. It takes time and effort to adapt legacy game engines though.

IMO be glad devs interested in the PS3 are forced into good game engine design, this will result into more efficiently designed 360 and multi-core PC games as well.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

outlawauron said:
disolitude said:

How about Zelda: TP (GC)

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"