By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My theory on PS3 graphics

StarcraftManiac said:
kirby007 said:
sound pretty logical

multiplatform games now are based on xbox360 version
and probably in the future on the ps3 version

If PS3 can keep bashing X360 in sales and come closer than the answer is yes!...

And i guess PS3 can do a little more than the X360 (but with great artwork and smart programming one wont notice the difference). 

well i don't call it bashing if in others and usa they only sell 10k more 

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
StarcraftManiac said:
kirby007 said:
sound pretty logical

multiplatform games now are based on xbox360 version
and probably in the future on the ps3 version

If PS3 can keep bashing X360 in sales and come closer than the answer is yes!...

And i guess PS3 can do a little more than the X360 (but with great artwork and smart programming one wont notice the difference).

well i don't call it bashing if in others and usa they only sell 10k more

+ Japan = 50-60k in 1 week... And by bashing i mean bashing = beating ...

THE NETHERLANDS

Words Of Wisdom said:
TheRealMafoo said:
GhaleonUnlimited said:

I think the 3 will be closer to the reality of "Not many devs can use its full power," but it won't really matter. Devs will use each other's tricks and build offa each other's work.

Also, this time around anyone with a PS3 can install Linux, a Dev Kit, and start writing algorithms for the Cell. I am sure that will develop libraries.

If you mean useless nonproduction-worthy libraries then yes, I agree.

I mean math, AI, animation, memory management , message passing, and thousands of other possibilities. You don’t think the Open Source community can generate production quality software? You don’t think Linux is of high quality? How about gcc, or ImageMagick?

For pure graphics libraries, that will need to be done by Sony.

TheRealMafoo said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
TheRealMafoo said:
GhaleonUnlimited said:

I think the 3 will be closer to the reality of "Not many devs can use its full power," but it won't really matter. Devs will use each other's tricks and build offa each other's work.

Also, this time around anyone with a PS3 can install Linux, a Dev Kit, and start writing algorithms for the Cell. I am sure that will develop libraries.

I mean math, AI, animation, memory management , message passing, and thousands of other possibilities. You don’t think the Open Source community can generate production quality software? You don’t think Linux is of high quality? How about gcc, or ImageMagick?

Open source software quality is heavily dependant on the quality of the people working on the project. Linux (and several other projects) is high quality because it is being developed by academics and many large corporations ...

For the most part, open source projects produced by hobbiests are poorly documented, have huge design flaws and inconsistencies, follow poor coding practices, are buggy, and are generally shitty.

HappySqurriel said:
TheRealMafoo said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
TheRealMafoo said:
GhaleonUnlimited said:

Open source software quality is heavily dependant on the quality of the people working on the project. Linux (and several other projects) is high quality because it is being developed by academics and many large corporations ...

For the most part, open source projects produced by hobbiests are poorly documented, have huge design flaws and inconsistencies, follow poor coding practices, are buggy, and are generally shitty.

Wow.  Thanks for saving me some time HappySqurriel.

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
HappySqurriel said:

I would agree if the only use for the CELL was the gaming community. But being it's used in the scientific community as well, useful reusable code will most likely created.

TheRealMafoo said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
HappySqurriel said:

I would agree if the only use for the CELL was the gaming community. But being it's used in the scientific community as well, useful reusable code will most likely created.

So you think that a program written by a Biology PHD to model the formation of pond scum who has no motivation of making a generally reuseable program, will end up becomming a useable API for a wide variety of applications?

HappySqurriel said:
TheRealMafoo said:

So you think that a program written by a Biology PHD to model the formation of pond scum who has no motivation of making a generally reuseable program, will end up becomming a useable API for a wide variety of applications?

Probably not, although if he has a degree in Computer Science, he might. I was thinking more the CS major who wants to use the CELL to see how fast he can make a simulated annealing algorithm run, and knows he is going to have a code review.

Or just someone who wants to see how efficient of a message passing system he can produced as a masters project.

But you might be surprised at how much high quality reusable code had been produced by Biologist. A lot of them have been writing better code then you or I, long before you or I ever saw a computer.

TheRealMafoo said:
HappySqurriel said:
TheRealMafoo said:

Probably not, although if he has a degree in Computer Science, he might. I was thinking more the CS major who wants to use the CELL to see how fast he can make a simulated annealing algorithm run, and knows he is going to have a code review.

Or just someone who wants to see how efficient of a message passing system he can produced as a masters project.

But you might be surprised at how much high quality reusable code had been produced by Biologist. A lot of them have been writing better code then you or I, long before you or I ever saw a computer.

Well, suprisingly enough, after my second year of University I was hired as the developer in a Biology lab and can attest that they don't have a clue what they're doing ...

By the way, simulated annealing is not an algorithm that you would spend too much time speeding up. The only value of simulated annealing is that it is mathematically proven to give the global minimum or maximum in a continuous optimization problem given an infinite timeframe; the unfortunate problem is that you don't have an infinite time so you must choose your cooling function correctly which gives non-optimal solutions, the slower the cooling fuction the better the results but the longer the runtime. Saving  25% runtime by producing a highly optimized routine on a cell processor at the cost of 160 man hours is a far worse use or resources when you can walk to your local store and buy a far more powerful PC for $1200 (even if you're only paying your student developers $10 per hour)

Anyways, everytime you lose an argument it seems you change the topic ... and I'm growing tired of this

Heres my theory on PS3's graphics:

They're better than the Wii's and the 360's. Its the problems porting over games that kills some multi-plat games.