By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My theory on PS3 graphics

Well like i said im not a tech person and i dont claim to be but to me the best games on the PS2 such as GoW can rival the graphics of any GC or Xbox game. same goes for games like Uncharted

Around the Network

and i guess my theory is shot to s*** :(

DSLover said:
ps1 and ps2 were like the least powerful consoles of thier generations but easy to program for, ps3 is opposite

PS2 was a pain to program for, at least according to a lot of developers. But with huge sales, you had to do it.

stranne said:
DSLover said:
ps1 and ps2 were like the least powerful consoles of thier generations but easy to program for, ps3 is opposite

PS2 was a pain to program for, at least according to a lot of developers. But with huge sales, you had to do it.

yes but it got easier over time so thats whats gonna happen to the PS3. in my eyes its inevitable 

antfromtashkent said:
and i guess my theory is shot to s*** :(

It’s not a bad thought, just wrong. Don’t worry too much about it, most theory’s are! Some of it is accurate. If you want to see the full power of the system, looking at exclusives is the way to go. The only problem with that is even though exclusives sell consoles, they are not usually the best games. Some examples are CoD4, Oblivion, or any sports game. As for the development cycle, in a perfect world, you develop on the more powerful system, and work your way down. It’s easier to remove stuff then to add it back in later. The mulit’s for 360 vs PS3 however is different. The PS3 is such a departure from what most gaming developers are used to, that the learning curve is very difficult. Most of the ports you see from EA don’t even use the SPE’s in the PS3, so it’s like running it on a single core Power PC (old Mac for example).

As time goes on, what you will see is multi platform games being slightly better on the PS3, or the same. This is mostly true, as for some things, the 360 is actually faster. Most of what will get pulled out of the PS3 version of a game that the 360 does better you will never see however (like slightly better UI). In the end however, developers want to sell on both consoles, so they will find a common ground that both consoles will run well, and develop that game. Not making it the best it can on either. That’s why exclusives are a better choice to compare hardware.

Full power however, does not always mean the most fun. Ask any Wii owner.

Around the Network

The PS2 lacked technologies like S3 Texture Compression, On-GPU Transform & Lighting, On-GPU shaders (be them fixed or programmable), etc., that's why games on it looked worse than the others. So your theory is a bit flawed, because PS3 is good on both the technology and raw power department, it's just hard to program. It's different and can't be compared.

fazz said:
The PS2 lacked technologies like S3 Texture Compression, On-GPU Transform & Lighting, On-GPU shaders (be them fixed or programmable), etc., that's why games on it looked worse than the others. So your theory is a bit flawed, because PS3 is good on both the technology and raw power department, it's just hard to program. It's different and can't be compared.

i just meant that the excucive games on the PS2 still had some of the best graphics of that generation.

souixan said:
kingofwale said:
the past is the past, there's no point to repeat them

what we do know is that PS3 is different to program for (unfamiliar = hard), you know it, I know it, the 12 yr old girl next door to me knows it.

So just get learning, geez! it's too early in the console's life to say how it will effect the industry

Not really ^^; "Console wars" tend to be decided within the first 18 months of all systems being released..

Not this time I bet...

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

kingofwale said:
>"Console wars" tend to be decided within the first 18 months of all systems being released..

every generation is different. never has there been sooo many casual gamer buying console. Things are different.

increased casual buyers does not help the ps3's cause

casuals are gonna buy wii 30x more often than ps3

ps3 is a hardcore machine designed for hardcore gamers and marketed to hardcore gamers

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Reasonable said:
souixan said:
kingofwale said:
the past is the past, there's no point to repeat them

what we do know is that PS3 is different to program for (unfamiliar = hard), you know it, I know it, the 12 yr old girl next door to me knows it.

So just get learning, geez! it's too early in the console's life to say how it will effect the industry

Not really ^^; "Console wars" tend to be decided within the first 18 months of all systems being released..

Not this time I bet...

yeh this time its all confusing, before u could just say XB SUCKS!!!!!!! or PS2 SUCKS!!!!!!!!!  or GC SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!! but now u have to explain urself or u get banned for VGChartz :(