By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why not make X into a big Nintendo franchise?

Tagged games:

KHlover said:
areason said:
KHlover said:
areason said:
Nintendo doesn't have the market which would make X a big franchise.

Yup, that's why Xenoblade completely sold out in the US (why the hell didn't Nintendo reprint?) and now moves $100 for a USED copy. Oh wait...

0.84 lifetime sales doesn't mean it is a big franchise, even if nintendo printed more copies max it would have sold 200k more copies. 

Based on what evidence?

That's not a good question because you can't prove if it'd do more either.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
errorpwns said:
areason said:
NintendoPie said:
areason said:

Yeah, okay. Sure.

OT: I doubt Nintendo really wants to delve all that much into JRPG's. It's nice to have some in-house JRPG's every once and awhile. But creating a major franchise (which costs a lot of money to manage) based around a JRPG is risky. Even with the larger fanbase.

I love how people don't try to prove me wrong, they just laugh at what i say. 

Tales of Symphonia on the Gamecube.

Good point, according to this site, its the best selling game in the series.

After many tears, I've learned not to be trustworthy of VGC NA tracking of JRPGs.

Let's be honest here. 0.84m is more than anyone would have expected for Xenoblade to sell. TLS on the other hand was writed as a FF real succesor, in gameplay and sales (lol, and the I hoped...)

Nintendo has a market for this, the operation and rage from western fans to get localized is a prove of that, plus the good sales while being out of stock at most places.

Also, they are making from X a big deal. While announced 7 months ago it won't be released until next year, and unlike the predecesor, with a worldwide launch.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

outlawauron said:
KHlover said:
areason said:
KHlover said:
areason said:

Yup, that's why Xenoblade completely sold out in the US (why the hell didn't Nintendo reprint?) and now moves $100 for a USED copy. Oh wait...

0.84 lifetime sales doesn't mean it is a big franchise, even if nintendo printed more copies max it would have sold 200k more copies. 

Based on what evidence?

Well, the price of used copies breaking through the roof after the initial shipment sold out is at least a good indication. He doesn't even have that.

outlawauron said:
zorg1000 said:
errorpwns said:
areason said:
NintendoPie said:
areason said:

Yeah, okay. Sure.

OT: I doubt Nintendo really wants to delve all that much into JRPG's. It's nice to have some in-house JRPG's every once and awhile. But creating a major franchise (which costs a lot of money to manage) based around a JRPG is risky. Even with the larger fanbase.

I love how people don't try to prove me wrong, they just laugh at what i say. 

Tales of Symphonia on the Gamecube.

Good point, according to this site, its the best selling game in the series.

After many tears, I've learned not to be trustworthy of VGC NA tracking of JRPGs.

Symphonia for the Gamecube is the second best selling tales series behind I think Eternia or something for the PS1.

Around the Network
KHlover said:
outlawauron said:
KHlover said:
areason said:
KHlover said:
areason said:

Based on what evidence?

Well, the price of used copies breaking through the roof after the initial shipment sold out is at least a good indication. He doesn't even have that.

That indicates demand, but not necessarily a demand of 200k. I think the price inflation/gouging would go away with another 45-50k copies in circulation. The market in the US for JRPGs isn't very big, and the super high price is being held there because sellers know that only the hardcore fans of a niche genre will pay it (i.e. the small market).

errorpwns said:
outlawauron said:

Symphonia for the Gamecube is the second best selling tales series behind I think Eternia or something for the PS1.

Correct. It's right under 1 million.

It got there because Nintendo published it and advertised, while also benefitting from being one of the only JRPGs on the console at all.

outlawauron said:
errorpwns said:
outlawauron said:

Correct. It's right under 1 million.

It got there because Nintendo published it and advertised, while also benefitting from being one of the only JRPGs on the console at all.

Considering the number of units the gamecube sold I'd say it was pretty impressive. You're right that is key. Like OP said Nintendo would have to advertise it, but it shows with a good game and the right advertising there is a fanbase. 

z101 said:
IsawYoshi said:

People compain that they don't make new IP's and they say they make to many casual games.

Because both complaints are not true. Look at the Wii games from Nintendo, they produced all kinds of games for the Wii. Games like Wii Sport, Sin&Punishment, Wii Party, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Endless Ocean, Xenoblade, Donkey Kong Country, Pandoras Tower, Project Zero 2, Fire Emblem, Kirbys Adventure/Magic Yarn and many many more.

Many of these games are new, some a fresh take on old series and some "only" new entries in their series.

Xenoblade was a little success so Nintendo gave green light for a successor with obviously greater budget. If "X" sells well we will surely see another RPG from Monolith for a Nintendo System.

I agree. I never said I agreed with that statement, however, that seems to be what people think. Primarely that they just make mario and never invent. 

So they need to prove them wrong. And a bunch of low key titles ain't going to. If they make something big though...

Pavolink said:
Let's be honest here. 0.84m is more than anyone would have expected for Xenoblade to sell. TLS on the other hand was writed as a FF real succesor, in gameplay and sales (lol, and the I hoped...)

Nintendo has a market for this, the operation and rage from western fans to get localized is a prove of that, plus the good sales while being out of stock at most places.

Also, they are making from X a big deal. While announced 7 months ago it won't be released until next year, and unlike the predecesor, with a worldwide launch.

just to make it clear, it was only the US market that went all rage, etc. We europeans didn't need all that to get the game .

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.