By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If you were the new ceo of Square-Enix, what would you do?

Tagged games:

Favorite Square Enix franchise?

Final Fantasy 68 48.23%

Dragon Quest 10 7.09%

Kingdom Hearts 19 13.48%

Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross 18 12.77%

The World Ends with You 4 2.84%

Just Cause 1 0.71%

Tomb Raider 7 4.96%

Hitman 1 0.71%

Sleeping Dogs 3 2.13%

None of the above 8 5.67%

Total:139

-Give fans the FFVII remake they demand, for PS4, Wii U and X1

-Reign in the ridiculous budget of numbered FF games by focusing less on cutscenes, voice acting and state-of-the art graphics and facical animations.

-Reign in the ridiculous budget of games like Tomb Raider and Deus Ex; Human Revolution, that are both considered commercial disappointments despite selling millions.

-Revisit some classic and well-loved battle systems from previous FFs and use them in future titles.

-Bring some of those mobile games to PSN, XBLA and either the 3DS or Wii U eShop.

-Make a real Dragon Quest instead of an MMO or side game.

-Bring KH3 to Wii U, and consider dropping X1 support (nothing against X1, but I think it's safe to say more KH fans are on Nintendo systems than Microsoft).

Around the Network

Convince Nintendo to buy the company.

Look at what makes jrpgs unique and at what makes wrpgs AAA and make good games. Also i would release a dq on consoles.

MrUnagi said:

Congrats! You are now the new ceo of Square Enix worldwide. How would you lead that company?

I'd force the teams to stop focusing 90% of their effort and budget on useless graphics and cgi. the focus should be on game design and the projects wouldn't take forever to finish. I'd also make what people want, things like the world ends with you sequel, and a true dragon quest (companies shouldn't experiment mmo style on a franchise that established itself as a single player experience) while releasing at all possible platforms (the age of non paid exclusives is long over).

Hmm.

1. LR: FF XIII

Make DLC where one of Lightning's outfits is literally nothing. You could probably charge $25-30 and it would still sell like crazy, and Square Enix is, indeed, bleeding cash. M or Ao rating, for sure.

2. FF XV

Congratulations, as soon as LR is out the door, this and KH3 have my undivided attention. Really, all I'd want to see is a good script that the voice actors felt confident in and enjoyed voicing. No matter what happens, XV is bound to piss some people off, but if it impresses just as many you've successfully reinvented Final Fantasy.

3. Tomb Raider

Focus on survival horror with a strong action-adventure element. You want to dual wield pistols? GOOD LUCK FINDING AMMO. Try to push for the longbow to be Lara Croft's signature weapon after the reboot.

4. Parasite Eve

My favorite S-E franchise, and it needs a lot of work. If you have no plans to reboot/ rename it, then sell it for quick cash. Monolith Soft is basically what's left of the original's dev team, so Nintendo might want it so they'll have something to do after X. Atlus might want it. Capcom might want it. A western dev might want it. Chances are most won't, but the phone call won't hurt. If you put it up for auction I'm sure more interest will appear, both commercial and fan.

Regardless, because it's got some major creative work to do, you're not looking at selling it for much. But with S-E hemorrhaging money, there's not much you can do.

5. License the Crystal Tools engine on both the PS360 and the Wii U.

SIGNIFICANTLY undercut Unreal 3. Really, you wouldn't be making any money with it after LR, and while I don't think XV can fit on the Wii U, you can probably get Crystal Tools to work on the Wii U with a little tweaking.

A third party engine for the Wii U--especially one as pretty as Crystal Tools--would drastically alter the gen 8 console wars. Because Epic has explicitly said Unreal 4 won't work on the Wii U and Crystal Tools looks so much better than Unreal 3, you will basically have a monopoly. Whatever 3rd party development happens on the Wii U for years to come, you'll get a piece of.

Around the Network

I would give what the fans desire and actually advertise games properly.

Egann said:

SIGNIFICANTLY undercut Unreal 3. Really, you wouldn't be making any money with it after LR, and while I don't think XV can fit on the Wii U, you can probably get Crystal Tools to work on the Wii U with a little tweaking.

A third party engine for the Wii U--especially one as pretty as Crystal Tools--would drastically alter the gen 8 console wars. Because Epic has explicitly said Unreal 4 won't work on the Wii U and Crystal Tools looks so much better than Unreal 3, you will basically have a monopoly. Whatever 3rd party development happens on the Wii U for years to come, you'll get a piece of.

This is actually a superb suggestion that would show creativity, business acumen and a willingness to evolve and profit from their investments. Expect it to never happen.

Egann said:

Hmm.

1. LR: FF XIII

Make DLC where one of Lightning's outfits is literally nothing. You could probably charge $25-30 and it would still sell like crazy, and Square Enix is, indeed, bleeding cash. M or Ao rating, for sure.

2. FF XV

Congratulations, as soon as LR is out the door, this and KH3 have my undivided attention. Really, all I'd want to see is a good script that the voice actors felt confident in and enjoyed voicing. No matter what happens, XV is bound to piss some people off, but if it impresses just as many you've successfully reinvented Final Fantasy.

3. Tomb Raider

Focus on survival horror with a strong action-adventure element. You want to dual wield pistols? GOOD LUCK FINDING AMMO. Try to push for the longbow to be Lara Croft's signature weapon after the reboot.

4. Parasite Eve

My favorite S-E franchise, and it needs a lot of work. If you have no plans to reboot/ rename it, then sell it for quick cash. Monolith Soft is basically what's left of the original's dev team, so Nintendo might want it so they'll have something to do after X. Atlus might want it. Capcom might want it. A western dev might want it. Chances are most won't, but the phone call won't hurt. If you put it up for auction I'm sure more interest will appear, both commercial and fan.

Regardless, because it's got some major creative work to do, you're not looking at selling it for much. But with S-E hemorrhaging money, there's not much you can do.

bolded1: think again

bolded2: hint: they didn't

listen to what gamers want, remake of final fantasy 7 you say?, we already have the character designs script and story line..... how hard could this be for us, and easy cash cow right there!

After reading all these comments, I am glad none of you are CEOs for ANY company.

First: Increase quality check for Mobile games, release on IOS and Android at the same time.
Second: Promote someone who has proven themselves to direct a new IP JRPG. Their dream project. No passion, go work for EA or Nintendo.
Third: Grandia 4: AAA budget, release 2016, Star Ocean 5: AAA budget, release 2016. PS4/X1
Fourth: FF: Tactics 3 for 3DS/Vita AAA handheld budget. Release 2015.
Fifth: New IP at every 2 years.
Sixth: FF XV 2014
Seventh: Eidos team can continue doing what they are doing.

and Lastly: Dont listen to "fans" who spend half their time on the internet talking about games and complaining about games. They obviously dont play games that much.