By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - does the X1's 180 prove that Sony has the better vision for the gaming industry?

bananaking21 said:
Zero999 said:
RolStoppable said:
Yes, it means just that.

Although it's not so much because of what Sony does is good, they are basically just keeping things the way they are or make them worse (i.e. online multiplayer now behind a paywall too). In other words, Microsoft's vision was disastrously bad.

No, it proves Nintendo has the better vison for the gaming industry.

does it really? because the vision nintendo has with the WiiU doenst seem to be resonating with gamers at all. 

you made the entire topic about the drm and other crap policies that MS tried with Xone and here's a hint for you: nintendo made it clear wii u would have the opposite of thet crap long before the announcement of ps4 or xone, yet you mention sony as the savior.

about your quote: just like 3ds start. software sells hardware and only now it's starting to get compelling software. it amazes me how much you haters repeat this excuse about wii u current sales even after being proven wrong, as if you are a broken disc or something.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
DucksUnlimited said:

It was ok at first.  Something is funny until it is overused.

For your question the industry tends to copy each other as long as they benefit from it.  Example the WiiMote created motion gaming.  Now you have PS Move which is almost a clone.

Not even kind of true.

Reword it to "Made Motion gaming popular".  Is that better for you?  But I kind of figured that this was rather implied.

Sorry. Really bothers me when people say that for some reason lol.

Gotta give the powerglove and eyetoy some love :/

S.T.A.G.E. said:
platformmaster918 said:
wick said:

This.

Microsofts original policies were so bad they made Sony look amazing at E3 just by doing what they've always done with used games and no internet check ins.

Sony also played it extremely well by dodging the question up till that point and making everyone think they were going to implement something similar.  This E3 is the most lobsided affair I've seen in gaming and they only had to show 1 of their games from the Worldwide Studios.  That means they saved game reveals for a later date (Gamescom and TGS) while also winning E3.  It's a genius PR stunt that really paid off.

Sony dodged no questions. Yoshida has been answering questions about the PS4 since february. People were speculating because the Xbone was rumored since about that time to be always online and trying to use DRM. Then that "microsoft employee" opened his mouth and said basically "who gives a crap if its always online" and the internet went nuts. All Sony did was understand their consumerbase. Thats not really that hard. Microsoft ignored their userbase and went to create a lockdown internet dependent console that the majority of their consumerbase was just not ready for and the policies only got worse from there. What Sony did didnt take a rocket scientist. Push the changes, just wait until the time is right. This was obviously not the time.

I wasn't insulting Sony or saying they were planning on any of these policies.  I think maybe they didn't come out with any statements beforehand (or at least weren't quite so clear or emphatic about it) before E3 because they wanted that moment.  MS had to show A TON at E3 to try to drown out the always on backlash and it STILL didn't work.  Those games they showed should have stolen the show.  Instead Sony beat them on policy and multiplat footage.  We know Sony has more first party games in the first year (20 vs. 15) so they've obivously played this masterfully.  They knew they would win E3 on policy and price.  Now MS blew their load and can't match their Gamescom announcements.  They needed a lot of help from MS but they're set up beatifully to take Gamescom with so many games left and they still won E3.  It's a nightmare and that E3 will resonate for years just like the 2006 one.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

DucksUnlimited said:
JayWood2010 said:
DucksUnlimited said:

Not even kind of true.

Reword it to "Made Motion gaming popular".  Is that better for you?  But I kind of figured that this was rather implied.

Sorry. Really bothers me when people say that for some reason lol.

Gotta give the powerglove and eyetoy some love :/

Fair enough XD lol

S.T.A.G.E. said:

but the world is not ready for it.

Duh? That's why MS reversed the policy? You posted a lot of words for something that we all know already.

Around the Network
platformmaster918 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
platformmaster918 said:

Sony dodged no questions. Yoshida has been answering questions about the PS4 since february. People were speculating because the Xbone was rumored since about that time to be always online and trying to use DRM. Then that "microsoft employee" opened his mouth and said basically "who gives a crap if its always online" and the internet went nuts. All Sony did was understand their consumerbase. Thats not really that hard. Microsoft ignored their userbase and went to create a lockdown internet dependent console that the majority of their consumerbase was just not ready for and the policies only got worse from there. What Sony did didnt take a rocket scientist. Push the changes, just wait until the time is right. This was obviously not the time.

I wasn't insulting Sony or saying they were planning on any of these policies.  I think maybe they didn't come out with any statements beforehand (or at least weren't quite so clear or emphatic about it) before E3 because they wanted that moment.  MS had to show A TON at E3 to try to drown out the always on backlash and it STILL didn't work.  Those games they showed should have stolen the show.  Instead Sony beat them on policy and multiplat footage.  We know Sony has more first party games in the first year (20 vs. 15) so they've obivously played this masterfully.  They knew they would win E3 on policy and price.  Now MS blew their load and can't match their Gamescom announcements.  They needed a lot of help from MS but they're set up beatifully to take Gamescom with so many games left and they still won E3.  It's a nightmare and that E3 will resonate for years just like the 2006 one.

The reason Sony won E3 is because they listened. Everyone knows even Sony wants to go all digital one day, but they are moving at the pace of the hardware that exists in the homes of their primary consumerbase. Microsoft knows the only way they could be a market leader techwise is to have an internet/software dependent console over Sony because thats their strong suit. Sony has been the market leader for formats but relinquished that to Nintendo with the Wii for gaining the casuals (and theres always a chance that can happen but its much more rare than most people admit.). Sony knows if they are launching  head on with Microsoft that they can take them. Their confidence spoke volumes when they called out Microsoft to show off their console first so they could kill them with the price for value deal at launch. MS wasnt ready yet for Sony which is why they showed off the box in May and not February or march, because Sony was like a giddy child trying to get them to show what they had since they knew MS wouldnt let them launch ahead of them away since they are after relatively the same way. This game was Sonys to lose the whole time games or not.  

FlowerGirl said:
bananaking21 said:
FlowerGirl said:
No, but it proves that Microsoft just got lucky with the 360. If Sony didn't blow it with the Cell Processor and the $600 price tag, they probably would have got smoked this gen just like they did last. I personally will be buying a $700-$800 PC rather than buying into Xbox again.

500 bucks for the weaker system? Are they nuts?

first of all, welcome to the site

second, i get your point, a lot of their "exlusives" are actually on PC, i really dont see why somebody with a gaming PC would really want an xbox. 

Thanks for the welcome. And I don't get it neither. A gaming PC with Steam beats a Xbox any day of the week. I'm sure most hardcore PC gamers will just use the 500 bucks it would cost to purchase an Xbox One to just upgrade their PCs. And who can blame them.

I'll just use the 900 dollars I saved from not buying both to upgrade my PC ;) All I need is my Wii-U anyways. I'm sure the people I live with will pony up for the PS4 at some point. We've essentially banned the Xbox One from being in our home due to the required Kinect garbage.

I only proves that Microsoft took a risky move, and it turned out to be too risky. That's all.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Puppyroach said:
oniyide said:
Puppyroach said:
I think there is a great risk that this will be the last console generation, simply because now both Sony and MS ARE playing it safe. Gamers are conservative by nature, and that is why they should try to push them forward like Nintendo did, not just presenting upgraded Machines.

just out of curiosity when did Ninty push anyone forward? Outside of the WIi and DS and even then those two especially WIi was FAR behind the other consoles in just about every other department. This innovation speak is funny because it seems like people forget everything prior to WIi those were all just upgraded machines. And no one complained. if we take out the hardware upgrades these companies played safe just about all of the time. PS brought the DVD format to consoles, MS bought online to consoles sucessfully; keyword sucessfully. 

You are focusing to much on hardware, online and such. What Nintendo did with the Wii (and this is coming from a huge SEGA fan) was to broaden the gaming market so that more people could enjoy gaming. What the DS did was to introduce new and unique ways of controlling the games, long before we had smartphone gaming. These are important contributions and the console manufacturers need to take these risks in order to push the industry forward.

im not arguing any of that, BUT what did they do BEFORE that? what did anyone do before that? Exactly. THats my point the WIi and DS arent even that old, now people expect a WIi like machine all the time which is just a wrong way to go about it. Ninty tried more innovation with 3DS and WIi U...look how those turned out, few care about 3d and fewer less is caring about the gamepad.

Vision? I doubt that any of the 3 have a vision beyond what $$$ they return to their shareholders. It's funny that most of you think Sony gives a shit about you. Sony made a particular business decision to not include the PSeye to get their price down to $399. It's obvious by the design of their controller, that it was intended to be standard equipment. They made a smart decision to go for the throat with M$ and drop the eye and their price to grab the early adopters(core gamers). Based on the many comments from the developers, it is obvious that they were intending to be at 4gb ram too. It's always easier to announce the tech specs/price of your system after the competition does. Gives you a chance to change your mind and make it look like that you didn't "180". For most of the core gamers who can only buy their games on disc and can afford only one system and seemingly don't connect their system to the internet, then the PS4 is revolutionary. If you wanted a system that has an ability to be both a basic game system and something else, then you get a XBone. No one can argue that with most of the changes that M$ has made, their system can do what the 360/PS3/PS4 can do, but much more. If you don't want the "more", then get a 360/PS4/PS3.