By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - does the X1's 180 prove that Sony has the better vision for the gaming industry?

the-pi-guy said:
landguy1 said:
Vision? I doubt that any of the 3 have a vision beyond what $$$ they return to their shareholders. It's funny that most of you think Sony gives a shit about you. Sony made a particular business decision to not include the PSeye to get their price down to $399. It's obvious by the design of their controller, that it was intended to be standard equipment. They made a smart decision to go for the throat with M$ and drop the eye and their price to grab the early adopters(core gamers). Based on the many comments from the developers, it is obvious that they were intending to be at 4gb ram too. It's always easier to announce the tech specs/price of your system after the competition does. Gives you a chance to change your mind and make it look like that you didn't "180". For most of the core gamers who can only buy their games on disc and can afford only one system and seemingly don't connect their system to the internet, then the PS4 is revolutionary. If you wanted a system that has an ability to be both a basic game system and something else, then you get a XBone. No one can argue that with most of the changes that M$ has made, their system can do what the 360/PS3/PS4 can do, but much more. If you don't want the "more", then get a 360/PS4/PS3.

I don't think that anyone thinks that Sony cares about them.  Why would they?  They are a large corporation, it makes as much sense as thinking the president cares about me.  The thing is though, that Sony had a huge opportunity to allow this DRM thing while MS was.  They both would've been affected, but not as much as MS was.  Sony is very concerned about piracy protection, but not so much used game protection.  

While I don't disagree with you about the camera, the RAM thing was supposedly something brought by developers.  Something like "if you don't have 8 GB ram", at one point it wasn't really feasible to have 8 GB RAM, and most people were already under the impression that the 4 GB GDDR5 RAM > 8 GB DDR3 RAM due to the huge speed advantages.  They announced 8 GB about 3 months earlier than MS did as well.  The big problem with the internet thing is that it isn't super reliable.  My internet was out for 5 days just a few weeks ago.  That would mean 4 days w/o playing Xbox One if it did come.  That would really suck since it was one of the few things I was able to do.  

Yeah, even though it is unusual for me to have no internet, it does have certain times during the day where i can't even log into Live or even use Netflix through my apple tv.  Not having internet for 5 days would really suck. 

I do think that had Sony done the DRM thing(for first party - they admit that 3rd party developers can do whatever they want), both Sony and M$ both would have done just as well this generation.  The only one that would have suffered is the consumer that really cares about it(small but vocal group).  One thing about core gamers/VGchartz posters is  that they seem to think that the average consumer really cares about DRM.  Most consumers that have an ios device or any smartphone/tablet is already used to DRM.  They don't hold a grudge against it, they don't even think about it.  If M$ wasn't trying to position the XBone as an entertainment device, they would have elimanted the disc drive alltogther. 

Around the Network
KingdomHeartsFan said:

People don't react well to change.

that wasn't a change, was a crime for the game industry.

im glad they did the 180.

because of MS, sony is now charging for MP 

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

J_Allard said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Everything Sony took away was not because people bitched for them to take it away (outside of the pricing) it was because Sony was trying to decrease the cost so they could make a slimlined version of the PS3. The Xbones launch is literally the worst prelaunch i've ever seen in my life. I thought the Saturn was bad and the Xbone might do better but in terms of launch preparation id say this is the worst of all time.

MS overturned some polcies? Overturning DRM includes a lot of underlying issues, including always online, their relationship with Gamestop and their online depdendent nature and alienation of rural people and others without internet connection. Theres plenty more just on that offense. Why piss off indy devs? Why? They opened the floodgates for them and then they just turn their backs on them? Dude....I could go on and on.

So.. it's worse to change something because gamers don't want it (and pre-launch, before anyone has paid a penny for it), than it is to take some away from gamers for cost reasons? Even things that affect gamers who already bought your system? Dat loyalty free logic strikes again.

Also, what do you care about the Xbone pre-launch? Weren't you one of the biggest complainers about the policies on here? Shouldn't the changes now make it one of the best pre-launches? So you're going from complaining about policies being in place that you disagree with, to complaining about those policies ever even existing, even though they have been changed to the status quo, aka what you supposedly wanted all along? I have a 6 year old kid who displays that same type of mentality LOL.

The best response I've read to this dude. He constantly is complaining even though the system has changed to fit his style I'm sure. When will you be satisfied man? Are you trying your best to persuade people to buy a PS4 only? Is that why you're on your crusade? 

The Xbox One policies before the 180 was not innovation. Stop saying and acting that it was before all babies in this world get punched

Color TV was innovation. HD was innovation. The internet was innovation. The automobile was innovation.

Telling people that the games they buy they don't really own is not innovation. And saying that XBLA was going to be like Steam is a lie. There is no evidence to suggest that statement. The current XBLA is not like Steam. The fact that you couldn't resell or give to your friend did not mean Steam for Xbox One confirmed. All it meant was that you couldn't resell or give to your friend.

Subie_Greg said:
The Xbox One policies before the 180 was not innovation. Stop saying and acting that it was before all babies in this world get punched

Color TV was innovation. HD was innovation. The internet was innovation. The automobile was innovation.

Telling people that the games they buy they don't really own is not innovation. And saying that XBLA was going to be like Steam is a lie. There is no evidence to suggest that statement. The current XBLA is not like Steam. The fact that you couldn't resell or give to your friend did not mean Steam for Xbox One confirmed. All it meant was that you couldn't resell or give to your friend.

one of the funniest things i ever seen was when people said the xbox one will be like steam. then they would call it innovation, right after they said it aims to be exactly like something else. 

Around the Network
landguy1 said:
the-pi-guy said:
landguy1 said:
Vision? I doubt that any of the 3 have a vision beyond what $$$ they return to their shareholders. It's funny that most of you think Sony gives a shit about you. Sony made a particular business decision to not include the PSeye to get their price down to $399. It's obvious by the design of their controller, that it was intended to be standard equipment. They made a smart decision to go for the throat with M$ and drop the eye and their price to grab the early adopters(core gamers). Based on the many comments from the developers, it is obvious that they were intending to be at 4gb ram too. It's always easier to announce the tech specs/price of your system after the competition does. Gives you a chance to change your mind and make it look like that you didn't "180". For most of the core gamers who can only buy their games on disc and can afford only one system and seemingly don't connect their system to the internet, then the PS4 is revolutionary. If you wanted a system that has an ability to be both a basic game system and something else, then you get a XBone. No one can argue that with most of the changes that M$ has made, their system can do what the 360/PS3/PS4 can do, but much more. If you don't want the "more", then get a 360/PS4/PS3.

I don't think that anyone thinks that Sony cares about them.  Why would they?  They are a large corporation, it makes as much sense as thinking the president cares about me.  The thing is though, that Sony had a huge opportunity to allow this DRM thing while MS was.  They both would've been affected, but not as much as MS was.  Sony is very concerned about piracy protection, but not so much used game protection.  

While I don't disagree with you about the camera, the RAM thing was supposedly something brought by developers.  Something like "if you don't have 8 GB ram", at one point it wasn't really feasible to have 8 GB RAM, and most people were already under the impression that the 4 GB GDDR5 RAM > 8 GB DDR3 RAM due to the huge speed advantages.  They announced 8 GB about 3 months earlier than MS did as well.  The big problem with the internet thing is that it isn't super reliable.  My internet was out for 5 days just a few weeks ago.  That would mean 4 days w/o playing Xbox One if it did come.  That would really suck since it was one of the few things I was able to do.  

Yeah, even though it is unusual for me to have no internet, it does have certain times during the day where i can't even log into Live or even use Netflix through my apple tv.  Not having internet for 5 days would really suck. 

I do think that had Sony done the DRM thing(for first party - they admit that 3rd party developers can do whatever they want), both Sony and M$ both would have done just as well this generation.  The only one that would have suffered is the consumer that really cares about it(small but vocal group).  One thing about core gamers/VGchartz posters is  that they seem to think that the average consumer really cares about DRM.  Most consumers that have an ios device or any smartphone/tablet is already used to DRM.  They don't hold a grudge against it, they don't even think about it.  If M$ wasn't trying to position the XBone as an entertainment device, they would have elimanted the disc drive alltogther. 

Jimmy Fallon's audience disagrees with you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csr6ahk5RMg

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

With the exception of PS3 launch and some years thereafter, Sony always had a better vision for the gaming industry. Innovation is now just a word that is being misused thoroughly. It's not innovative until it is useful. Both MS and Nintendo tried to do something "innovative" by implementing various controller inputs and etc. Unless it is useful, it is not innovative.

TheSting said:
J_Allard said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Everything Sony took away was not because people bitched for them to take it away (outside of the pricing) it was because Sony was trying to decrease the cost so they could make a slimlined version of the PS3. The Xbones launch is literally the worst prelaunch i've ever seen in my life. I thought the Saturn was bad and the Xbone might do better but in terms of launch preparation id say this is the worst of all time.

MS overturned some polcies? Overturning DRM includes a lot of underlying issues, including always online, their relationship with Gamestop and their online depdendent nature and alienation of rural people and others without internet connection. Theres plenty more just on that offense. Why piss off indy devs? Why? They opened the floodgates for them and then they just turn their backs on them? Dude....I could go on and on.

So.. it's worse to change something because gamers don't want it (and pre-launch, before anyone has paid a penny for it), than it is to take some away from gamers for cost reasons? Even things that affect gamers who already bought your system? Dat loyalty free logic strikes again.

Also, what do you care about the Xbone pre-launch? Weren't you one of the biggest complainers about the policies on here? Shouldn't the changes now make it one of the best pre-launches? So you're going from complaining about policies being in place that you disagree with, to complaining about those policies ever even existing, even though they have been changed to the status quo, aka what you supposedly wanted all along? I have a 6 year old kid who displays that same type of mentality LOL.

The best response I've read to this dude. He constantly is complaining even though the system has changed to fit his style I'm sure. When will you be satisfied man? Are you trying your best to persuade people to buy a PS4 only? Is that why you're on your crusade? 

It's the Loyalty Free Crusade.