By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bethesda: Wii U is "not on our radar". "It's largely a hardware thing."

Tagged games:

HoloDust said:
bobgamer said:
Zero999 said:
HoloDust said:

You're just wasting perfectly good bytes on him...he has no comprehension about hardware, and that GFLOPS are not the way to compare GPUs, so he would not understand that 7770 is some 30% faster than 5770 although they are rated about the same when it comes to GFLOPS...just as he does not want to  accept that you can't get his self-proclaimed 500-600 GFLOPS out of such a small silicon based on VLIW5 architecture, 550 MHz clock and 40/45nm fab.

His "estimate" that WiiU's GPU is "equal to or above" 5770 just shows how ignorant on this matter he actually is.

I thought 5770 was in the range of 600 gflops, must have confused it for another 5xxx gpu. still doesnt change the fact that the guy insinuated that I said a 5770 would perform in the same level of a 7990.

And I advise you to stop this persecussion on me. If you continue, it won't take long before you make a mistake.

Seriously? I mean, seriously? That must be the weakest excuse i have ever seen for someone to try and escape a loosing arguement (i can see that you are going to respond bragging about how you are humilliating us). 
HoloDust, i give you my official authorization to keep flooding him with good sense and knowledge of technology :P, it's funny to see him squirm :)

@underlined - Haha, he's starting to get paranoid, it seems - I couldn't care less for his general lack of understanding of all things hardware if he wasn't persistent in proclaiming his misguided beliefs as gospel so often.

I generally ignore him, I tried few times to explain to him what would his claim "WiiU is half XOne, and third PS4" mean in terms of number of SPUs on that clock and architecture, TDP and fab, but he just keep banging his drum on and on. (if only it was true - that was what lot of us were expecting/hoping for after those first rumours about WiiU and 4850 level GPU back in days)

Anyway, that's why I jumped earlier in with my comparison - WiiU is as close to PS4 as PS4 is close to TITAN 3-way SLI...which is, according to some, "negligible".

i know nothing in terms of tech specs and u seem to know quite a bit, could u explain to me the power difference between Wii U, One and PS4?

ive heard some people say in comparison to PC, Wii U-Low setting, One-Medium, PS4-High. ive also seen Wii U=PS2, One=GC, PS4=Xbox. Are either of those close to reality?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
HoloDust said:
bobgamer said:
Zero999 said:
HoloDust said:

You're just wasting perfectly good bytes on him...he has no comprehension about hardware, and that GFLOPS are not the way to compare GPUs, so he would not understand that 7770 is some 30% faster than 5770 although they are rated about the same when it comes to GFLOPS...just as he does not want to  accept that you can't get his self-proclaimed 500-600 GFLOPS out of such a small silicon based on VLIW5 architecture, 550 MHz clock and 40/45nm fab.

His "estimate" that WiiU's GPU is "equal to or above" 5770 just shows how ignorant on this matter he actually is.

I thought 5770 was in the range of 600 gflops, must have confused it for another 5xxx gpu. still doesnt change the fact that the guy insinuated that I said a 5770 would perform in the same level of a 7990.

And I advise you to stop this persecussion on me. If you continue, it won't take long before you make a mistake.

Seriously? I mean, seriously? That must be the weakest excuse i have ever seen for someone to try and escape a loosing arguement (i can see that you are going to respond bragging about how you are humilliating us). 
HoloDust, i give you my official authorization to keep flooding him with good sense and knowledge of technology :P, it's funny to see him squirm :)

@underlined - Haha, he's starting to get paranoid, it seems - I couldn't care less for his general lack of understanding of all things hardware if he wasn't persistent in proclaiming his misguided beliefs as gospel so often.

I generally ignore him, I tried few times to explain to him what would his claim "WiiU is half XOne, and third PS4" mean in terms of number of SPUs on that clock and architecture, TDP and fab, but he just keep banging his drum on and on. (if only it was true - that was what lot of us were expecting/hoping for after those first rumours about WiiU and 4850 level GPU back in days)

Anyway, that's why I jumped earlier in with my comparison - WiiU is as close to PS4 as PS4 is close to TITAN 3-way SLI...which is, according to some, "negligible".

i know nothing in terms of tech specs and u seem to know quite a bit, could u explain to me the power difference between Wii U, One and PS4?

ive heard some people say in comparison to PC, Wii U-Low setting, One-Medium, PS4-High. ive also seen Wii U=PS2, One=GC, PS4=Xbox. Are either of those close to reality?

The gap is wider than that for the Wii U. PS2 was weaker than the Gamecube, but the difference wasn't nearly as big between them as it is between the Wii U and the XBO.  As for the PC settings analogy, each PC games are different in that regard. But if one game has its low settings as outputting less polygons per frames, less intricate lighting effect, less taxing AA solution (if at all), low setting AO or none at all, etc... Then yes, this analogy would work for the most part. Although the difference in power between PS4 and XBO won't be that noticeable at first.

My mistake earlier for my previous responses, I read too quickly before. Bethesda can pull off Skyrim on the Wii U if they wanted to but they just wont. Probably has to do with the community size.

zorg1000 said:

Don't want to get (once again) into full tech breakdown (known so far), not sure if it would mean to you much anyway, but, when similar tech that is in those platforms is compared, let's say that if something is running on PS4 @ 30fps,  it would run (on average), with same settings, at some 20fps at XOne, and some 3-5fps at WiiU (jury is still out on that)...so, as a dev, you would need to lower your res/details to get to same 30fps on those platforms - for the sake of comparison, TITAN 3-way SLI would run at 180-200 fps.

HoloDust said:

oh please, tell me the exact specifications for wii u's gpu and I will shut ut imedeately.

Untill then I'll just keep using logic + what I see in games like pikmin 3, W101, mario 3d world, mario kart 8, NL, sonic LW...

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
zorg1000 said:

Don't want to get (once again) into full tech breakdown (known so far), not sure if it would mean to you much anyway, but, when similar tech that is in those platforms is compared, let's say that if something is running on PS4 @ 30fps,  it would run (on average), with same settings, at some 20fps at XOne, and some 3-5fps at WiiU (jury is still out on that)...so, as a dev, you would need to lower your res/details to get to same 30fps on those platforms - for the sake of comparison, TITAN 3-way SLI would run at 180-200 fps.

so you finally came to your senses and we agree. a game that runs at 1080p on ps4 should do fine on wii u at 720p and a little downgrading.

HoloDust said:
zorg1000 said:

So for the most part a game can be ported to Wii U just with minor downgrades depending on how much developers want to put into it?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
HoloDust said:
zorg1000 said:

So for the most part a game can be ported to Wii U just with minor downgrades depending on how much developers want to put into it?

If graphics were the only thing going on in a game, then yes. Downgrading the graphics quality would be all that is necessary to have the same games on most systems...

zorg1000 said:
HoloDust said:
zorg1000 said:

yes

zorg1000 said:
HoloDust said:
zorg1000 said:

The amount of things you'd need to downgrade to get to that 30fps from 3-5fps is anything but "minor". Is it possible - it theory, why not, just as it's in theory probably possible to put Halo 4 on original Xbox. Is it feasible or sensible? Not really, specially with this traditional Nintendo user base.

That's why WiiU is really badly designed for console that was supposedly going after better 3rd party support - you either need to have user base that will heavily support 3rd parties on your platform, so that publishers will put extra work to port their titles to your platform no matter the raw power of hardware, or you need to have easy and powerful enough hardware so they can port easily, no matter the user base.

WiiU, sadly, doesn't have either...and I really mean sadly - if they made WiiU=PS2 when comparing with 6th gen in terms of raw power, they would have all they need to fight with the big boys and still be cheaper, if only it wasn't for another attempt in "innovating" with that Gamepad.