By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Wii U LTD sales ever pass Vita?

Did you post your opinion?

Yes 213 69.84%

No I'm boring 92 30.16%

Total:305
JoeTheBro said:
Mr Khan said:

Nintendo fans will tell you. "Connectivity" has been done before, and it doesn't save a struggling platform. The GBA's coattails did precious little to float the GameCube, and GBA was more dominant in its field than PS4 will be, by a wide margin (since PS4 has actual competition that isn't the NGage)

There is a huge difference with what the Vita is advertized to do with PS4 and the GBA/GameCube generation. I don't imagnine a lot of people owning a PS4 and thinking "Hey I love these games, I should buy that other PlayStation for its games." Instead people owning a PS4 will think "Hey, I love these games, I should buy that other PlayStation so I can play them more".

You have a Wii U correct? Isn't it great just playing on the gamepad and not even bothering with the tv? This off screen play is something that almost all of us Nintendo fans agree is really sweet. If the gamepad was sold separately for $100 and worked anywhere there was internet, do you not imagine it still getting a decent amount of sales with people wanting that off tv experience? If the answer is yes, then what's different about the Vita with remote play?

not to mention that the Vita is actually a PORTABLE device that can be used sans PS4 outside of your home. Cant really say the same for the pad. Also its not like Sony is really going to push the Vita connectivy, not like how Ninty is pushing the gamepad for Wii U.

Around the Network
Seece said:
I guess I'm the only one that thinks this holiday?

you me and a few others think that. or early 2014

pokoko said:
My guess is that we'll hear of the Wii U passing the Vita in early 2015, after the totals from the holidays are in.

Still, that thread was a gem. I think a LOT of people need to back up off Pachter's grill.

What really stood out for me was the way people were massively over-estimating the launch games, talking up "Mario and Monster Hunter" even though they weren't the versions people necessarily wanted. And Pikmin and Rayman, even if they had been released on time, they would have helped very little. Let's face facts, Nintendo's system sellers aren't the games coming out this year.

People just dont like eating crow; "but but the games didnt come" (doesnt make them any less wrong) but whats interesting to me is Vita didnt really have anything of note all year and it was still beating WIi U in most weeks, what do people have to say about that?

pezus said:
gum said:
Kresnik said:
MDMAlliance said:

To be fair, two of those are ports.  One of which has been ported over and over again and the other being one of the less popular titles in the series.

I know... that's my point.  People were acting like Wii-U would be unstoppable in Japan because it had MonHun; Dragon Quest & 2D Mario on paper.  But when you actually looked at the games, one was a port and one was a port of an MMO.  And looking back now, it seems incredibly silly that people were predicting such Japandomination.

I'm still predicting Japandomination for WiiU: PS4 won't have anything important there for a very long time. Otherwise of course WiiU will sell much better than the Vita, these two consoles are absolutely not in a comparable situation. WiiU will certainly be ahead after this fall.

Wait for TGS, why don't ya? I'm pretty sure you'll be wrong. 

But you're right, WiiU and Vita aren't in a comparable situation because WiiU is doing even worse weekly this year on average than Vita did last year (and heck, this year).

This silly argument again? WiiU will have a very significative advantage in terms of market share and installed base, something Vita never had and never will have. In fact Vita even launched with a huge disadvantage in both aspects. And market shares, in fact comparison between installed bases, is absolutely ALL that matters, sales are important only to know how these key factors are evolving. So yes WiiU and Vita are absolutely not in a similar position and the fact that they are roughly selling on par right now won't change their respective situations in terms of market shares. Right now with the exact same sales WiiU is still increasing his advantage in terms of installed base in comparison with PS4 and X1 while the disadvantage of the Vita in comparison with the 3DS is widening weeks after weeks.

Maybe you should be the one to try to pass this "prediction exam" you are talking about...

gum said:
pezus said:
gum said:
Kresnik said:
MDMAlliance said:

To be fair, two of those are ports.  One of which has been ported over and over again and the other being one of the less popular titles in the series.

I know... that's my point.  People were acting like Wii-U would be unstoppable in Japan because it had MonHun; Dragon Quest & 2D Mario on paper.  But when you actually looked at the games, one was a port and one was a port of an MMO.  And looking back now, it seems incredibly silly that people were predicting such Japandomination.

I'm still predicting Japandomination for WiiU: PS4 won't have anything important there for a very long time. Otherwise of course WiiU will sell much better than the Vita, these two consoles are absolutely not in a comparable situation. WiiU will certainly be ahead after this fall.

But you're right, WiiU and Vita aren't in a comparable situation because WiiU is doing even worse weekly this year on average than Vita did last year (and heck, this year).

This silly argument again? WiiU will have a very significative advantage in terms of market share and installed base, something Vita never had and never will have. In fact Vita even launched with a huge disadvantage in both aspects. And market shares, in fact comparison between installed bases, is absolutely ALL that matters, sales are important only to know how these key factors are evolving. So yes WiiU and Vita are absolutely not in a similar position and the fact that they are roughly selling on par right now won't change their respective situations in terms of market shares. Right now with the exact same sales WiiU is still increasing his advantage in terms of installed base in comparison with PS4 and X1 while the disadvantage of the Vita in comparison with the 3DS is widening weeks after weeks.

Maybe you should be the one to try to pass this "prediction exam" you are talking about...

That's hardly fair, X1 is doomed to bomb in Japan no matter what.

Around the Network
gum said:
pezus said:
gum said:
Kresnik said:
MDMAlliance said:

How do you know PS4 won't have anything significant in Japan, when they're developing a new AAA IP to directly compete with Final Fantasy, which is huge in Japan and they' have a ton of unannounced exclusives? Don't you think you're jumping the gun with your predictions?

Seece said:
gum said:
pezus said:
gum said:
Kresnik said:
MDMAlliance said:

That's hardly fair, X1 is doomed to bomb in Japan no matter what.

Yes and until big japanese and exclusive games are announced for it to release sooner rather than later it's hard to believe that PS4 will sell really well there in 2014 either.

"How do you know PS4 won't have anything significant in Japan, when they're developing a new AAA IP to directly compete with Final Fantasy, which is huge in Japan and they' have a ton of unannounced exclusives? Don't you think you're jumping the gun with your predictions?"

I don't know but right now there is absolutely nothing. I'm not predicting something for sure of course everything is always possible. Right now the WiiU still seem to have the more chances to dominate Japan than the other next gens. Of course more games could be announced for PS4 that will change that... but more killer apps could be announced for WiiU as well. Still there are not a lot of ips that are as big in Japan as the Nintendo ones...

I'm guessing sometime in 2014.

Love and tolerate.

Either in 2015 or never.

RolStoppable said:
JoeTheBro said:

There is a huge difference with what the Vita is advertized to do with PS4 and the GBA/GameCube generation. I don't imagnine a lot of people owning a PS4 and thinking "Hey I love these games, I should buy that other PlayStation for its games." Instead people owning a PS4 will think "Hey, I love these games, I should buy that other PlayStation so I can play them more".

You have a Wii U correct? Isn't it great just playing on the gamepad and not even bothering with the tv? This off screen play is something that almost all of us Nintendo fans agree is really sweet. If the gamepad was sold separately for $100 and worked anywhere there was internet, do you not imagine it still getting a decent amount of sales with people wanting that off tv experience? If the answer is yes, then what's different about the Vita with remote play?

The problem with that line of thought is that no self-respecting twenty-something is going to play a Vita in public. He's too old for that.

Only in America. In Europe PlayStation is cool and Japan is well, Japan.

Also remote play is still great within the privacy of your home. No one needs to know ;)

Mr Khan said:

Because generally people don't think that way. Much like the gamepad, it's an idea that sounds like something people would like, but ultimately not particularly compelling (enough to make the investment, anyway)

Well we'll just have to disagree. From my experience and everything I've heard from others, off tv play is the best feature of the Wii U. When it is integrated and works seamlessly with every game, this seems to be a killer app.