By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Wii U LTD sales ever pass Vita?

Did you post your opinion?

Yes 213 69.84%

No I'm boring 92 30.16%

Total:305
NintendoPie said:
It's pretty interesting seeing as how I missed all of those "Wii U Sales Prediction"/"Wii U will drop da bomb" threads. Maybe vanishing from the Chartz wasn't such a bad thing at that time.

However, the OP's prediction of a Vita price-cut is a nice little thing that just shows how much we didn't know at the time.

In the UK, the PS Vita + 8gb memory card + pack of 10 digital games bundle is 24% cheaper than the RRP of the Wi-fi Vita on its own.

No price-cut at Gamescom would be insane.

Around the Network
TomaTito said:
oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:

Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends and Wii Fit U were all originally Q1-Q2 releases but got delayed. Had those titles all came out as planned there would be no drought and sales would be better. I think about 5 million by now would have been possible, which isnt above Vita but damn close.

Even when those games got reported that they were going to be delayed people were still saying it would pass Vita by now so im not buying it, hell we got the delay news pretty early on. Also i seriously doubt those games would have pushed it to 5 mil, a series that hasnt been seen since GC and isnt exactly setting up the charts(its doing alright but nothing crazy), a new IP in a niche genre, a series that peaked long ago, Wii Fit U was the only one that would have done someting IMHO but even then you cant be too sure.

The original thread was from Oct 2012, when did the delay news come out?

At the time of the thread creation, Rayman Legends was still a launch day game, never mind coming in February.

VGChartz

Kresnik said:

This was a pretty interesting way to revisit that old thread, indeed.

It's pretty crazy to think how people were over-shooting Wii-U's success at the beginning. Even if we ignore game droughts which have undoubtedly plagued the system (although would Pikmin 3 & Wii Fit U releasing sooner really boosted it ~ 2m?); the infamous NeoGAF thread about "how can Wii-U fail in Japan?" springs to mind. Their argument was that it was getting 2D Mario; Monster Hunter & Dragon Quest; therefore it was a lock in the region. That didn't turn out so great (I notice Phenom; Soundwave & Chandler using some of that logic in this thread).

I mean, I do understand it if you look at those games in a vacuum; it is quite an impressive lineup. But, they weren't the entries in each series that the console needed (minus Mario I guess; but he had a lot of legwork to do on his own).

I won't make my own prediction, because threads like this always resurface :P

Bodes well for PS4 launch though, seeing similar cockiness ("all hail to the King" with Kaz instead of Iwata photoshopped onto Walter White, right?)

To be fair, two of those are ports.  One of which has been ported over and over again and the other being one of the less popular titles in the series.

MDMAlliance said:

To be fair, two of those are ports.  One of which has been ported over and over again and the other being one of the less popular titles in the series.

I know... that's my point.  People were acting like Wii-U would be unstoppable in Japan because it had MonHun; Dragon Quest & 2D Mario on paper.  But when you actually looked at the games, one was a port and one was a port of an MMO.  And looking back now, it seems incredibly silly that people were predicting such Japandomination.

Kresnik said:
MDMAlliance said:

I know... that's my point.  People were acting like Wii-U would be unstoppable in Japan because it had MonHun; Dragon Quest & 2D Mario on paper.  But when you actually looked at the games, one was a port and one was a port of an MMO.  And looking back now, it seems incredibly silly that people were predicting such Japandomination.

I had more hopes for the Wii U more specifically because of the fact that I didn't expect the delays on some of the highly anticipated titles they said that would be in the launch window.  Given the drought, I'm not really surprised by the outcome.  3DS had a rough start as well, so there's always hope for both the Wii U and Vita.  Though the Vita will have a harder time given that it has already had a lot of time for games and still hasn't recovered, while the Wii U still hasn't been on the market for a year yet.  I would suppose that would mean less people have faith in the Vita than those in the Wii U.

Around the Network

It's hard to say. But it's possible with the games coming for Wii U in 2014. Although if PS4 does well, i think that alone may turn things around for Vita possible.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Hah I was looking for that thread, thank you. There's a couple other Wii U vs Vita threads I want to dig out of the grave as well but finding them on here is so difficult :(

I think there's little doubt that WiiU sales will pick up with the releases due over the coming 6 months, the question is how much will they pick up.

PS Vita has been longer on the market and has longer time to 'right the ship' so to speak, but it is still struggling. I find it harder to see a future where the PS Vita will see a significant and sustained increase in sales.

The unknowns here are price drop for one or both systems, and how well MS and Sony handle their generational shift. If the PS4, and Xbone1 are a little too expensive for the market when they first hit and are a little light on releases post launch I think they could open the door for the WiiU to stage a decent comeback, especially if both Smash Bros and Mario Kart WiiU make the first half of next year.

Best case scenario it could happen inside of the year but that requires the WiiU to start selling immediately or have an absolutely gangbusters holiday season. More realistically it will happen in the second quarter next year, though that is still far from certain given the aforementioned unknowns.

Kresnik said:
MDMAlliance said:

I'm still predicting Japandomination for WiiU: PS4 won't have anything important there for a very long time. Otherwise of course WiiU will sell much better than the Vita, these two consoles are absolutely not in a comparable situation. WiiU will certainly be ahead after this fall.

With MK and Smash Bros? Very likely. Maybe even late this year.