By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Wii U LTD sales ever pass Vita?

Did you post your opinion?

Yes 213 69.84%

No I'm boring 92 30.16%

Total:305

PS4>>>>>>WiiU

PSV

Around the Network
TomaTito said:
oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:

Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends and Wii Fit U were all originally Q1-Q2 releases but got delayed. Had those titles all came out as planned there would be no drought and sales would be better. I think about 5 million by now would have been possible, which isnt above Vita but damn close.

Even when those games got reported that they were going to be delayed people were still saying it would pass Vita by now so im not buying it, hell we got the delay news pretty early on. Also i seriously doubt those games would have pushed it to 5 mil, a series that hasnt been seen since GC and isnt exactly setting up the charts(its doing alright but nothing crazy), a new IP in a niche genre, a series that peaked long ago, Wii Fit U was the only one that would have done someting IMHO but even then you cant be too sure.

The original thread was from Oct 2012, when did the delay news come out?

Rayman and Pikmin were said not to be ready by laucnh before the console came out, which would have been around Oct-Nov. And even after people found out about the delay they were still saying it would have passed Vita easily. Hell Wii Fit u never even got an official release date.

Time to post my prediction.

No.

This is all resting on other predictions though. Wii U will not get a price cut this year, Vita will get a price cut this month, and PS4 sells great.

Nintendo turned around the 3DS with a price cut, but they also had great games come out at that time. I believe Nintendo believes that the games were just as big of a factor for turning the system around. Because of that they will not drop the wii u price. This should help their bottom line but will not be as big of a boost for Wii U sales.

Sony did a price drop in Japan to coincide with a few big game releases. This has worked pretty well for them so a price drop before killzone mercenary makes a lot of sense. This game is great and in my opinion its sales determine the future of the system. Selling over a million would really rekindle 3rd and 1st party faith in the system. Plus this game, tearaway, and the price drop should be enough to give the Vita a healthy early Christmas.

If the PS4 sales are great like many predict, a lot of people will be picking up a vita for remote play. The $500 bundle rumor would really push Vita numbers.

If these smaller predictions are true, I could see Wii U at 6 million and Vita at 8 million at the end of the year. From there on Mario Kart with a price drop could do great for the Wii U but at this point I predict PS4 +Vita bundles to keep the gap small but in Vita's favor.

If Nintendo does drop the price, then that changes everything. Such a move could even damage PS4 sales to such a point that very few buy a vita for remote play.

JoeTheBro said:
Time to post my prediction.

No.

This is all resting on other predictions though. Wii U will not get a price cut this year, Vita will get a price cut this month, and PS4 sells great.

Nintendo turned around the 3DS with a price cut, but they also had great games come out at that time. I believe Nintendo believes that the games were just as big of a factor for turning the system around. Because of that they will not drop the wii u price. This should help their bottom line but will not be as big of a boost for Wii U sales.

Sony did a price drop in Japan to coincide with a few big game releases. This has worked pretty well for them so a price drop before killzone mercenary makes a lot of sense. This game is great and in my opinion its sales determine the future of the system. Selling over a million would really rekindle 3rd and 1st party faith in the system. Plus this game, tearaway, and the price drop should be enough to give the Vita a healthy early Christmas.

If the PS4 sales are great like many predict, a lot of people will be picking up a vita for remote play. The $500 bundle rumor would really push Vita numbers.

If these smaller predictions are true, I could see Wii U at 6 million and Vita at 8 million at the end of the year. From there on Mario Kart with a price drop could do great for the Wii U but at this point I predict PS4 +Vita bundles to keep the gap small but in Vita's favor.

If Nintendo does drop the price, then that changes everything. Such a move could even damage PS4 sales to such a point that very few buy a vita for remote play.

Nintendo fans will tell you. "Connectivity" has been done before, and it doesn't save a struggling platform. The GBA's coattails did precious little to float the GameCube, and GBA was more dominant in its field than PS4 will be, by a wide margin (since PS4 has actual competition that isn't the NGage)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

The Wii U will either pass the Vita this Christmas/ Q1 2014 or never. They're both expensive systems with only a handful of titles, so by and large their sales have been poor, but the Wii U has a fantastic Q3-4 2013 and Q1 2014 launch lineup. After that, the Vita will get whatever boost it gets from remote play.

It's really a question of if the Wii U will ever hit critical mass. The one which hits critical mass first will outstrip the other, and that may be sales to attract developers or titles to attract gamers. It's just too hard to call.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

Nintendo fans will tell you. "Connectivity" has been done before, and it doesn't save a struggling platform. The GBA's coattails did precious little to float the GameCube, and GBA was more dominant in its field than PS4 will be, by a wide margin (since PS4 has actual competition that isn't the NGage)

There is a huge difference with what the Vita is advertized to do with PS4 and the GBA/GameCube generation. I don't imagnine a lot of people owning a PS4 and thinking "Hey I love these games, I should buy that other PlayStation for its games." Instead people owning a PS4 will think "Hey, I love these games, I should buy that other PlayStation so I can play them more".

You have a Wii U correct? Isn't it great just playing on the gamepad and not even bothering with the tv? This off screen play is something that almost all of us Nintendo fans agree is really sweet. If the gamepad was sold separately for $100 and worked anywhere there was internet, do you not imagine it still getting a decent amount of sales with people wanting that off tv experience? If the answer is yes, then what's different about the Vita with remote play?

JoeTheBro said:
Mr Khan said:

There is a huge difference with what the Vita is advertized to do with PS4 and the GBA/GameCube generation. I don't imagnine a lot of people owning a PS4 and thinking "Hey I love these games, I should buy that other PlayStation for its games." Instead people owning a PS4 will think "Hey, I love these games, I should buy that other PlayStation so I can play them more".

You have a Wii U correct? Isn't it great just playing on the gamepad and not even bothering with the tv? This off screen play is something that almost all of us Nintendo fans agree is really sweet. If the gamepad was sold separately for $100 and worked anywhere there was internet, do you not imagine it still getting a decent amount of sales with people wanting that off tv experience? If the answer is yes, then what's different about the Vita with remote play?

Because generally people don't think that way. Much like the gamepad, it's an idea that sounds like something people would like, but ultimately not particularly compelling (enough to make the investment, anyway)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I guess I'm the only one that thinks this holiday?

My guess is that we'll hear of the Wii U passing the Vita in early 2015, after the totals from the holidays are in.

Still, that thread was a gem. I think a LOT of people need to back up off Pachter's grill.

What really stood out for me was the way people were massively over-estimating the launch games, talking up "Mario and Monster Hunter" even though they weren't the versions people necessarily wanted. And Pikmin and Rayman, even if they had been released on time, they would have helped very little. Let's face facts, Nintendo's system sellers aren't the games coming out this year.

I cannot wait until the Vita and Wii U come to the end of their life spans and I can come back to threads like these for quite the amusement.