By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Vita won't work as extra PS4 controller

Porcupine_I said:
Adinnieken said:

The PlayStation Vita mobile gaming console won't work as an additional controller for the upcoming PlayStation 4 console except in cases where a game has been "specifically programmed" to support the device, a Sony representative recently clarified on Twitter.

Responding to tweeted question asking whether Vita was compatibility with the PS4, Computer Entertainment President of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida, explained how the PS Vita would work (or, rather, not work).

"In a normal sense, no," Yoshida wrote. "Unless a game is specifically programmed to allow such use of PS Vita." Rather making the PS4 compatible with Vita straight out of the box, Sony developers would need to take that extra step to "specifically program" the Vita for any given game.

That's disappointing news for Vita owners hoping to save on the $60 Sony will charge for each additional DualShock controller they'll need to play PS4 games with friends and family. (The new PS4 comes with just one controller.)

What's more, it's a lost opportunity for the Vita. Ever since the PlayStation Vita was first released in early 2012, Sony's newest mobile gaming console has proven to be an impressive (and expensive ) little gadget with an unclear purpose — not enough games to convince many gamers to spend upwards of $250, and little in the way of Sony's many heralded "cross-play" features that promise to bridge the gap between PlayStation's mobile and TV-based worlds.

A powerful bargaining chip that Sony has always left on the table for prospective Vita fans, however, is the mobile device's imminent integration with the brave new world of the PlayStation. The company consistently promised that the Vita will be able to play almost every single PS4 game, provided that it's within streaming distance of the home console and the software doesn't require anything special like the PlayStation Camera to run.

Source

It has been taken out of context. He has been asked about multiplayer functionality where one player can play on the Vitas' screen and the other on eon the TV.

"To clarify, the Vita should still work as a PS4 controller for single-player affairs, but it’ll need to be specifically programmed for multi-player modes"

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/07/29/ps-vita-only-works-as-a-secondary-controller-in-specific-games/

Why would it work for one and not the other?

Around the Network
Adinnieken said:
Porcupine_I said:

It has been taken out of context. He has been asked about multiplayer functionality where one player can play on the Vitas' screen and the other on eon the TV.

"To clarify, the Vita should still work as a PS4 controller for single-player affairs, but it’ll need to be specifically programmed for multi-player modes"

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/07/29/ps-vita-only-works-as-a-secondary-controller-in-specific-games/

Why would it work for one and not the other?

One is a simple functionality that only requires to recognize the Vitas signal input as a controller.

The other would be a feature that requires specific game data to be displayed on the vitas screen.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

JoeTheBro said:
Why oh why is this even an issue? Vita will be great for remote play, but it aint no ds4.

I still don't get it. People are laughing at the WiiU that they offer a tablet where you can also remotely play but the vita-solution is getting likes. Although it will most probably be a technical inferior solution (enhanced wifi vs. standard wifi).

walsufnir said:
JoeTheBro said:
Why oh why is this even an issue? Vita will be great for remote play, but it aint no ds4.

I still don't get it. People are laughing at the WiiU that they offer a tablet where you can also remotely play but the vita-solution is getting likes. Although it will most probably be a technical inferior solution (enhanced wifi vs. standard wifi).

Doesn't the PS3/4 use Bluetooth to interconnect with the PSV?  Going through Wi-Fi to connect to the PS3/4 would not be good.  Hence why Smartglass on the Xbox 360 doesn't directly control games.  The latency is makes it unusable for it.  I believe that's also why Microsoft implemented Wi-Fi Direct, to cut latency and make their second screen initiatives more realistic.

Was it ever determined what Wi-Fi standard the Wii U uses for the Wii U tablet?

Adinnieken said:
walsufnir said:
JoeTheBro said:

Doesn't the PS3/4 use Bluetooth to interconnect with the PSV?  Going through Wi-Fi to connect to the PS3/4 would not be good.  Hence why Smartglass on the Xbox 360 doesn't directly control games.  The latency is makes it unusable for it.  I believe that's also why Microsoft implemented Wi-Fi Direct, to cut latency and make their second screen initiatives more realistic.

Was it ever determined what Wi-Fi standard the Wii U uses for the Wii U tablet?

I heard of 11n with some customiation. And yes, to my knowledge Sony uses Wifi (when at home).

Around the Network

Just give me remote play for all games and I will be happy for the entire gen.

who would even use the vita as a controller if the option was there...
remote play is good enough.

$250 is expensive? Yeah, and those phones people have must be free. lol

While it would be a nice feature, it's completely unnecessary and a waste of Vita's potential. We already know that Remote Play will bring us the off TV screen play and will be mandatory for all games, and that's good enough right there. Yoshida is simply saying that it will be an extra option if developers choose to do so, so there will be games (probably LBP co-op type games) that support the feature. It just won't be mandatory. Honestly, that's part of the reason why I personally can't stand the Wii-U. Way too much emphasis on the gamepad, and games suffer because of it.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

I'm gonna buy a 250$ Vita to use as a controller instead of a 60$ DS4.

Damn I'm intelligent as fuck.