By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Vita won't work as extra PS4 controller

The Vita is very capable but I'd still hate to be the guy using one instead of a DS4 in a round of competitive co-op.

Around the Network

Has Vita as a controller for PS4 ever been discussed before now?

Remote Play & "being a controller" are two separate issues, no? One of them is something Vita does already on PS3 for say - Shadow of the Collossus. And the other is something Vita does already on PS3 for say - LittleBigPlanet 2.

Yoshida was being asked if the Vita would do the latter. He said no, unless the game specifically has some form of cross-controller play enabled. Which is going to be pretty limited.

The former is still the same as it always was, I believe.

Also guys remember during remote play the PS4 still outputs to the tv unlike with ps3. This means all single player games actually can be played with vita instead of ds4. Yosp is really saying ds4 and vita can't both be used at the same time.

Question on the remote play thing but how is the vita going to handle the two extra bumper buttons I think there l1&2 and r1&2

Azerth said:
Question on the remote play thing but how is the vita going to handle the two extra bumper buttons I think there l1&2 and r1&2

There are games on both PS3 games on the Vita that work well with the implementation of the touch screen and rear touch. I have a few, including PSASBR and Oddwlorld Stranger. They work fine (albeit not as nice as the PS3, but still well implemented).

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

Around the Network

Bit of a shame. They should release an accessory (for that weird accessory port) that adds L2/R2 and the light bar.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

pezus said:
Azerth said:

Back touch

WIth the Vita being able to stream ps3 games by 2014/15, I really hope they do release a gamepad attachement. The back touchpad will not suffice for most action games.

Kresnik said:

Has Vita as a controller for PS4 ever been discussed before now?

Remote Play & "being a controller" are two separate issues, no? One of them is something Vita does already on PS3 for say - Shadow of the Collossus. And the other is something Vita does already on PS3 for say - LittleBigPlanet 2.

Yoshida was being asked if the Vita would do the latter. He said no, unless the game specifically has some form of cross-controller play enabled. Which is going to be pretty limited.

The former is still the same as it always was, I believe.

I think some people definitely wanted that to happen, but Sony has never said it was or would be a feature.  No.

Adinnieken said:

The PlayStation Vita mobile gaming console won't work as an additional controller for the upcoming PlayStation 4 console except in cases where a game has been "specifically programmed" to support the device, a Sony representative recently clarified on Twitter.

Responding to tweeted question asking whether Vita was compatibility with the PS4, Computer Entertainment President of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida, explained how the PS Vita would work (or, rather, not work).

"In a normal sense, no," Yoshida wrote. "Unless a game is specifically programmed to allow such use of PS Vita." Rather making the PS4 compatible with Vita straight out of the box, Sony developers would need to take that extra step to "specifically program" the Vita for any given game.

That's disappointing news for Vita owners hoping to save on the $60 Sony will charge for each additional DualShock controller they'll need to play PS4 games with friends and family. (The new PS4 comes with just one controller.)

What's more, it's a lost opportunity for the Vita. Ever since the PlayStation Vita was first released in early 2012, Sony's newest mobile gaming console has proven to be an impressive (and expensive ) little gadget with an unclear purpose — not enough games to convince many gamers to spend upwards of $250, and little in the way of Sony's many heralded "cross-play" features that promise to bridge the gap between PlayStation's mobile and TV-based worlds.

A powerful bargaining chip that Sony has always left on the table for prospective Vita fans, however, is the mobile device's imminent integration with the brave new world of the PlayStation. The company consistently promised that the Vita will be able to play almost every single PS4 game, provided that it's within streaming distance of the home console and the software doesn't require anything special like the PlayStation Camera to run.

Source

It has been taken out of context. He has been asked about multiplayer functionality where one player can play on the Vitas' screen and the other on eon the TV.

"To clarify, the Vita should still work as a PS4 controller for single-player affairs, but it’ll need to be specifically programmed for multi-player modes"

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/07/29/ps-vita-only-works-as-a-secondary-controller-in-specific-games/

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

No big deal...