By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Fish says "Japanese games sucks" ......I sort of agree (Jonathan Blow and Phil Fish)

Tagged games:

Do you agree with Jonathan Blow and Phil Fish?

Yes 16 10.26%

No 139 89.10%

Total:155
Otakumegane said:
Wright said:
Otakumegane said:

and TWEWY

You have my eternal respect for mentioning that game.

That game is why I still have a tiny bit of hope for SE left.

let's not forget type-0.

Around the Network

I don't think these guys really know what they're talking about. A lot of the "Japanese games" that have these "drawn out tutorials" do it because dropping you in a game without telling you how to do anything and having it all about this supposed "adventure" is not how gaming works now. Things have become much more complex in terms of design and how you play. It isn't just moving left and right, jump and attack anymore. Without explaining the basics of the game, people cannot get into the game as easily and just get confused more.

It is true, though, that there are many tutorials that drag on too long, but not having any at all for a complex game is equally (if not more so) bad.

God what an asshole. This is so depressing.

Suke said:
Red4ADevil said:

I'm sorry but I couldn't watch that video anymore after the 1 min mark; because of his initial reaction (esp that idiot who was laughing hysterically).

Japanese developers may not have changed as much or might not have caught up with everyone else's way of making games but at least they don't have bruised egos like western devs; which ultimately led to their downfalls, cutbacks, and closings. because of thier so-called "AAA" titles.

I like the way they are now (even with their flaws)

Agree, thought I get fusterated with most Japanese games I play, at least I can still give the devs respect. 

I decided to give the video one more shot, and I (not so much agree but) have a better understanding on what they were trying to say. I don't feel so much, stupid but more (like you said) frsutrated. Especially when I was first learned how to use the junction system in FFVIII.

One would have to be a delusional individual like Fish himself to believe in such a ridiculous sweeping generalisation.

Around the Network

Most of the best games and franchises are Japanese. Mario, Sonic, Shenmue, Final Fantasy. Monster Hunter, anything from Sony Japan, Yakuza and dozens of others.

The only Western publishers i like are Rockstar, 2K, Eidos and Ubisoft and that's it.

Also, you can not take anything from this guy seriously.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Xxain said:
This is old. Probably by like a year.

Western Market is nothing but smoke and mirrors sold on everything else but being a game. Game design wise they are immensely unsatisfying.

+1.

There may be some stangation in the Japanese market, but at least it doesn't consist of overhyped, overpriced, bland, repetetive, movie-game like trash like western "games" with very few exceptions - Ubisoft and Sony's first party devs, as an example (though of movie-game, Uncharted was really quite guilty, as it was of being repetitve).

phil fish also says that fez is worth 90$. so sure, ill trust his judgement

ishiki said:
Generally speaking both Japanese and western games suck. Both places create a lot of games with crap stories (often it doesn't matter). Each area creates lots of gems though.

Indeed. That's why casting it as a "Japanese" problem and pretending Call of Duty and Madden don't exist is myopic, hypocritical, and borderline racist.

I'll give Blow some credit for igniting the current wave of puzzle/platformer craze, but by the time Fish came around, the genre was as tired as tower defense, dual-stick shooters, and any genre popular in Japan.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Man, if I met this guy in public, I'd pull off his non-prescription glasses and stamp on them.